• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Who’s good at research?

CJ319

Forum Supporter
I found this piece of printing press yesterday and I’m having a hard time finding anything with what is visible. With the words Congress and Confederate visible, I’m very interested in finding the article. Due to recent social issues, confederate statue articles are my main responses. There an over the web high five for anyone that can find the article.

Attachments

• DB7196D8-32FA-41D1-80A9-68545C6E752A.jpg
    DB7196D8-32FA-41D1-80A9-68545C6E752A.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 400
  • 067380AA-A1B5-438A-8D1E-5AA7ACB0918F.jpg
    067380AA-A1B5-438A-8D1E-5AA7ACB0918F.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 379
Wow... talk about a needle in a haystack hunt. Cool piece, I hope someone can find it for you but that one will be tough.

Wow... talk about a needle in a haystack hunt. Cool piece, I hope someone can find it for you but that one will be tough.

Yeah. I’ve found one before, but it was bigger and easily found the article. I doubt I’ll get anything out of this one.

Hopefully this is a spot you're able to return to and find more pieces of the print. Looks like the left edge was the edge of the plate, the words seem to start there. Also were there any CW era newspaper shops near that area. It looks like the word "day" may show up 5 times. After the word "congress", after "confederate", after "press", first word in line four and after the first word in line one. Well good luck, keep us updated. HH Jerry

Hopefully this is a spot you're able to return to and find more pieces of the print. Looks like the left edge was the edge of the plate, the words seem to start there. Also were there any CW era newspaper shops near that area. It looks like the word "day" may show up 5 times. After the word "congress", after "confederate", after "press", first word in line four and after the first word in line one. Well good luck, keep us updated. HH Jerry

It’s a 1910 house that I’ve been at for a couple of weeks now, so I’ll be there till there aren’t any signals left. I actually passed up the signal last week because it was very shallow and not really desirable, low 60s. Thought it would be a pull tab. This yard has been strange. I’ve pulled wheat pennies at 8 inches and just under the grass root. This piece was just under the grass root, less than an inch. This was my last signal before I had to head out, but I’ll definitely be hitting it again, probably Saturday morning.

You may try tracing who owned or lived there, may be a newspaper connection

That’s what I thought with the first printing press piece I found. After doing some research, it looks like most of the old houses in Bryan, TX were possibly boarding houses or assisted nearby boarding houses. It accounts for all the foreign money and tokens I’ve found. Good idea though. Thanks.

That’s what I thought with the first printing press piece I found. After doing some research, it looks like most of the old houses in Bryan, TX were possibly boarding houses or assisted nearby boarding houses. It accounts for all the foreign money and tokens I’ve found. Good idea though. Thanks.

If that was a printing plate wouldnt the text be backwards? I have no idea just a suggestion, cool find!

What does the second to last line say? avalere Prote? Any guess as to what the first word there is?

EDIT: I think it's "travelers"

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks like it's close to page 2 of The Houston Post from September 26, 1898, describing the Dallas Fair....but it doesn't line up quite right...so it may be from a different year possibly?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 149
Looks like it's close to page 2 of The Houston Post from September 26, 1898, describing the Dallas Fair....but it doesn't line up quite right...so it may be from a different year possibly?

Haha! And that’s why I threw it out there! I knew someone would find it. It may not line up perfectly “physically”, but that’s it. Thanks! A high five to you and a few pies to throw in the face of all the “needle in a haystack” negative nancies. Good job!

Printing presses for newspapers had removeable type so the letters could be reset day to day to reflect that days news and events. A permanently fixed type plate such as you discovered seems more likely to have been used to print cards or literature over and over for whatever reason.

Printing presses for newspapers had removeable type so the letters could be reset day to day to reflect that days news and events. A permanently fixed type plate such as you discovered seems more likely to have been used to print cards or literature over and over for whatever reason.

It’s been about a year since I found my first one, so I could be wrong, but I think this predates the block lettering system.

WTG pryan67, looks like you honed in on it very well. The T.P.A. day could be the Travelers Protec ..... part. What clues lead you to that article. HH Jerry

Back
Top Bottom