michaez

Forum Supporter
Hello, my name is Michael and my one year anniversary since I’ve moved to Columbus is coming up soon, used to live in the Toledo area (Bowling Green). I was also somewhat active on this forum when I first started exploring this awesome hobby (also about a year ago). To be short and sweet I took a break from it trying to get situated into the new home, job, winter time etc.. now to my questions:

I know hunting is extremely touchy when it comes to laws, rules, guidelines. Now that it is summer I want to bust out the old detector and start having some fun again. I’m especially excited because Columbus is huge. With that being said, what are Columbus rules? I know some parks are okay if they are local (city) parks? I think 🤔? National parks are off limits. Other places like schools? I always see people posting they went to this school that school etc. What’s the deal with those? Is there a website that has a list of locations that are/not allowed? I know a lot of research goes into this hobby, but honestly I would just like to get into it right away.

Next question, are there any groups in Columbus or any individuals that wouldn’t mind bringing me along? I’m not shy and I have no problem in asking permission to hunt. The only problem is I just turned 26 (birthday is today) and I look rather young for 26 and I know that may turn some people off in allowing someone my age to hunt their land if they don’t trust you. Anyway, that’s all I have for now I’m sure more questions will arise for me if anyone responds to this. Thanks!!

Hello, my name is Michael and my one year anniversary since I’ve moved to Columbus is coming up soon, used to live in the Toledo area (Bowling Green). I was also somewhat active on this forum when I first started exploring this awesome hobby (also about a year ago). To be short and sweet I took a break from it trying to get situated into the new home, job, winter time etc.. now to my questions:

I know hunting is extremely touchy when it comes to laws, rules, guidelines. Now that it is summer I want to bust out the old detector and start having some fun again. I’m especially excited because Columbus is huge. With that being said, what are Columbus rules? I know some parks are okay if they are local (city) parks? I think 🤔? National parks are off limits. Other places like schools? I always see people posting they went to this school that school etc. What’s the deal with those? Is there a website that has a list of locations that are/not allowed? I know a lot of research goes into this hobby, but honestly I would just like to get into it right away.

Next question, are there any groups in Columbus or any individuals that wouldn’t mind bringing me along? I’m not shy and I have no problem in asking permission to hunt. The only problem is I just turned 26 (birthday is today) and I look rather young for 26 and I know that may turn some people off in allowing someone my age to hunt their land if they don’t trust you. Anyway, that’s all I have for now I’m sure more questions will arise for me if anyone responds to this. Thanks!!

Michaez good to hear from you welcome back to the Forum. If I'm not mistaken you and AirmetTango and I metal detected in BG one day about a year ago. It's good to hear from you and see that you are still metal detecting. Looking forward to seeing your posts. Good Luck and Happy Hunting.

Dan B.

Dan,

Yes that is correct and I had a blast with you, sorry I did not get back with you to do more hunts as life stuff and adulting happened haha! If I ever take a trip up to BG (I do about twice a month) I will let you know so we could possibly meet up!

.... Is there a website that has a list of locations that are/not allowed?....

This is impossible on the city to city, county to county park and school lands. Because, of course, there are just thousands and thousands of cities and counties. There has been many attempts to do it on the state park's level. The FMDAC, for instance, has one such compendium you can find.

But the lists are fickle at best. Because the very nature of how they got assembled years/decades ago, left them vulnerable to capricious arbitrary whimsical mood. The way the assemblers of those lists got their answers is (drumroll), they asked. For example, that's the way the the first widely circulated list (from which subsequent lists often just copied from):

That first attempt was a book called "Treasure Laws of the United states". From the mid 1980s by a guy named R.W. Doc Grim. He merely sent out 50 xeroxed letters, to the heads of each state's park dept. Saying he was writing a book, and wanted to know the laws that pertain to the use of metal detectors in their state's parks. Then when the 50 replies came back in, he merely puts the actual letterhead reply , alphabetically, state by state. Great for travelers, etc... eh ? Genius idea, eh ?

But here's where it got funky: Several of the states that replied "no", or gave other such dire sounding replies, had ... quite frankly ... never been a problem. So old-timers from those states are left scratching their heads saying "since when?" And it's true that some of the states did answer back with chapter and verse that might truly have said "no detectors". Ok, fine. But multiple of other states that gave strange answers, would reference it to oddball things like disturbing the wildlife and plants. Or language on alter /deface. Or harvest /remove. Or cultural heritage.

So it was plain to see that this "pressing question" would get some pencil pusher wondering "gee what applies?" . The old "no one cared TILL you asked psychology".

So too is it with county and city level parks and schools. Persons that have tried to make lists for such lower level entities, have ... humorously .... even considered someone's isolated "scram" to constitute "off-limits". Ie.: someone reports they got a "no" . Or a gardener griped. So it's put in compendium attempts as "off-limits". But is someone's isolated scram to constitute gospel law ? Or could they just be flukes because a cop or ranger was having a bad hair day ? Does it really specifically say "no md'ing" in park codes, or did you just run into a fluke answer or gripe ?

Thus to answer your question: No one-stop resource. And those that have attempted it, I put not much stock in.

Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But for the run of the mill parks, schools, beaches, forests, etc.... just go. If you are skittish that "there might be a rule", then you're welcome to study that city or or county's website, where the park rules are no doubt listed. Eg.: dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc..... If you don't see anything there that says "No metal detecting", then presto, it's not dis-allowed.

For nice manicured turf, just be aware that even if there isn't a specific "no md'ing" statute, that you should still pick low traffic times. Because, uh ... detectors have connotations. That you might be about to leave a hole. So avoid busy bodies if you're going to be doing nicely manicured turf.

This is impossible on the city to city, county to county park and school lands. Because, of course, there are just thousands and thousands of cities and counties. There has been many attempts to do it on the state park's level. The FMDAC, for instance, has one such compendium you can find.

But the lists are fickle at best. Because the very nature of how they got assembled years/decades ago, left them vulnerable to capricious arbitrary whimsical mood. The way the assemblers of those lists got their answers is (drumroll), they asked. For example, that's the way the the first widely circulated list (from which subsequent lists often just copied from):

That first attempt was a book called "Treasure Laws of the United states". From the mid 1980s by a guy named R.W. Doc Grim. He merely sent out 50 xeroxed letters, to the heads of each state's park dept. Saying he was writing a book, and wanted to know the laws that pertain to the use of metal detectors in their state's parks. Then when the 50 replies came back in, he merely puts the actual letterhead reply , alphabetically, state by state. Great for travelers, etc... eh ? Genius idea, eh ?

But here's where it got funky: Several of the states that replied "no", or gave other such dire sounding replies, had ... quite frankly ... never been a problem. So old-timers from those states are left scratching their heads saying "since when?" And it's true that some of the states did answer back with chapter and verse that might truly have said "no detectors". Ok, fine. But multiple of other states that gave strange answers, would reference it to oddball things like disturbing the wildlife and plants. Or language on alter /deface. Or harvest /remove. Or cultural heritage.

So it was plain to see that this "pressing question" would get some pencil pusher wondering "gee what applies?" . The old "no one cared TILL you asked psychology".

So too is it with county and city level parks and schools. Persons that have tried to make lists for such lower level entities, have ... humorously .... even considered someone's isolated "scram" to constitute "off-limits". Ie.: someone reports they got a "no" . Or a gardener griped. So it's put in compendium attempts as "off-limits". But is someone's isolated scram to constitute gospel law ? Or could they just be flukes because a cop or ranger was having a bad hair day ? Does it really specifically say "no md'ing" in park codes, or did you just run into a fluke answer or gripe ?

Thus to answer your question: No one-stop resource. And those that have attempted it, I put not much stock in.

Just avoid obvious historic sensitive monuments. But for the run of the mill parks, schools, beaches, forests, etc.... just go. If you are skittish that "there might be a rule", then you're welcome to study that city or or county's website, where the park rules are no doubt listed. Eg.: dogs on leash, no fireworks, etc..... If you don't see anything there that says "No metal detecting", then presto, it's not dis-allowed.

For nice manicured turf, just be aware that even if there isn't a specific "no md'ing" statute, that you should still pick low traffic times. Because, uh ... detectors have connotations. That you might be about to leave a hole. So avoid busy bodies if you're going to be doing nicely manicured turf.

This, this is an amazing response! Thank you sir!

Back
Top Bottom