Ordered the Aukey B80 wireless phones

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Down to 25 bucks now so I figured I would give them a shot, thanks to whatever member sent out an alert about these a couple days ago.
YESTERDAY when we ordered them they were $25, just looked at the seller and today they are up to $40 so timing is everything.
Still better than The $70-$80 they used to sell for but who doesn't love a deal?
The wife ordered them for me because she has the prime account and ordered a set for herself at the same time to listen to music, our TV's or whatever else she is into so 2 for $50 and free shipping where one set is now only $10 less is cool.
About time we got some good luck.

Ok, just looked again and in the last half hour the exact same seller dropped them back down to $25.50.
What is going on over there at Amazon?

Reviews say pretty decent sound for phones and ok for music but most that hook them up to a Nox say they work pretty well with no lag which is all I care about.
Some Amazon reviews say the quality is just so-so but I am not expecting premium for the price.
Can't be any worse than the low quality craptastic headphones Minelab sends out with the 800.
When I got mine one of the small panel covers on the side were broken off in the box and I talked to Minelab which were nice about it and said they would replace them but I didn't want to be without them for who knows how long and the issue didn't affect anything but the looks so I just kept them.

I never thought the Minelab phones sounded real great, a bit muddy and not as sharp and clear as quality wired phones like my B's but good enough and I got used to them.
If these sound as good, or hopefully better, I will be very happy.
And my ears should be cooler if I venture out into the heat.

Attachments

• photostudio_1596810489442.jpg
    photostudio_1596810489442.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
The Aukey are definitely worth the current $25 price. However, I prefer the sound and the battery life of the Minelab headphones that came with the 800.

Where the Aukey B80s have the advantage is:
  • small size - light and take little room in the backpack
  • allow wearing a full brimmed hat for sun protection
  • much cooler

Back to battery life... It sucks. I have to carry two pair for an all-day hunt, where the Minelab headphones can go the distance.

Thanks.
How long are your hunts?
Mine rarely go more than 4 hours, nowadays, so hopefully it should last at least that long.

Here's a link to one of my previous posts regarding run time on the EP-B80 earbuds:

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showpost.php?p=3235157&postcount=5

Basically, I get 4.5 to 5 hours of hunt time with each of my B80s, which is plenty for most of my hunts. They do recharge very quickly, so for longer hunts, you could easily plan to recharge them during a "lunch break". Once they were offered for the lower price late last year, I just went ahead and bought a second pair to cover longer hunts. Also, the earbuds warn you when the battery is getting low with a low tone every few minutes, so you don't have to worry that they just suddenly shut off.

Unlike fullbattery, I much prefer the sound of the EP-B80s to the stock 800 headphones. The stock headphones sound muffled, muddy, and flat to me. The Aukey earbuds sound clearer and brighter to me, with far better differentiation in tones (I hunt in 50 tones a lot). Just different strokes for different folks - everyone's ears are different.

You should be good on a 4 hour hunt. AirmetTango's run time estimate seems about right. I usually hunt for about 6 or 7 hours.

I should have added a couple of points in my original post... I listen to the machine with only one ear (one earbud in or one headphone over an ear). Situational awareness and all of that. Doing so likely affects my assessment of the sound quality. Also, the Aukey EP-B80s are not a great fit in my ear. That's not a reflection on the quality of the earbuds. No earbud that I've tried has been a good fit. e.g. The wired earbuds that come with an iPhone... I can't use them because they will not stay in my ears at all.

I've been using the Aukey B80's this summer and have really enjoyed them. At that price I even bought a 2nd pair as a backup. My hunts are 3 to 3 1/2 hours and the battery life is fine for that. If I were to hunt all day I suppose I would use both pair.

They really don't block out background sounds so if you prefer noise canceling this isn't it. But I maintain high situational awareness and still hear them easily. At first I thought they weren't loud enough, however I traded the ear tips to better fit my ear canals and I can hear them much better.

I've been very happy with these with my Nox and my ears really have appreciated them this summer!

Thanks all, this is just what I want to hear especially the clear sound part.
I also found the Minelab phones lacking, I have used all kinds over the years and I can deal with anything but my Killer B's are the standard so if these aren't even that good but even just a bit better for me and my hearing than the ML phones I will be thrilled.
Once fall and winter comes and the heat subsides I might go longer on my hunts so I can carry both.
I need to order a new plug to repair my B's and once that is done for cooler weather the WM 08 will probably be put back in action...with an adapter.
Lots of options...life is good!

Got them yesterday, charged them up, paired them up to my Nox which was easy and tried them out in my front lawn.
I like them!
Volume was too low, I like it loud so I kept my finger on the up-volume part of the control and nothing.
Finally figured out you have to keep pressing the button and release to hear the beep and then the volume gets louder.
Not used to the more open air feeling and sound compared to over the ear phones but the signals were clear, sharp and tight with no lag that I could tell so I will get used to them quick enough.
Very few ear buds I have tried over the years fit my ear canals and these didn't either but the over the ear hook system kept them in place pretty well.
I switched over to the smallest covers and that did the trick...now they feel comfortable, stay in place deep in my ear canals which will let me hear all the little sound and tone inflections I count on listening to to figure out signals correctly when I hunt.

The wife got a red pair and she wants to listen to music so I paired them up to her Apple tablet, downloaded the Amazon Prime music app so now she has all kinds of music.
I asked what kind of music she likes to listen to, old classic she says as I searched for her first song, she says like old rock and stuff as I am doing this.
I ignore her and picked, Fly me to the Moon by Sinatra instead...and then turned it up.
She smiled...she seems happy and the sound was pretty darn good.
Clear, nice highs and decent bass.

$50 for two sets...a good purchase, I think.
Now we will see how long they last.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom