LUCKY to have my best find ever.

Nice point! It's a MAGNUM!! (ala "Seneca Relics")
I'm thinkin I agree with the other poster on it being a spear point. Doesn't look very knife-ish, either.
Love that lithic and would like to see more pics.
Far as ID goes try here. I use a similar site for NC points. They seem to be open to a bit of "interpretation". d;^)

Congrats on the spear point! I found my first one last week but the tip was missing. It is a crazy feeling to find something that old!

Congratulations! I also once found one in the bottom of a hole. Metal detecting gets you lots of surprises.

I can't tell you how lucky I got today. I was out with a buddy today. We were detecting, but also looking for arrowheads and such. We spent some time in one field, and found a bunch of flakes and fragments. Didn't find anything of note with the detectors. We moved to another field permission. While crossing the field I got a faint, deep squeaky signal on my AT max. It was a high tone, but it pinpointed at 8-10 inches deep. I dug a plug and flipped it out. Fast forward to the target, it was a rusty nail in the side wall. But the find of my life was sitting in the plug staring right back at me...

View attachment 484430

Somehow, by some miracle, my target brought me to this amazing native artifact, and I didn't chop it with my shovel. It is huge at about 3 inches in length. And it is beautiful!!! There's a chance it is a Hopewell point at 1500 yrs old, but I'm no expert. So excited to find this. Here are a few more pics for you. Morale of the story...always dig those nail signals, and dig a big enough plug!!!

View attachment 484431

View attachment 484432

Very nice.
Definitely Hopewell, could have been a knife but that size and shape are commonly referred to as a spear point , material/ flint ridge.

Congrats, guy! My oldest projectile point find was also made while metal detecting. I was searching a park early in the morning (an old park in a part of town you didn't want to be in later in the day) and I walk over a 'washout' where the rain runoff has made a gully right though the topsoil to the red clay base - not very deep, since it was on a hillside. There stuck in the clay was a San Patrice point, 10,000 to 8000 years old! I don't think I'll find anything older while metal detecting, for sure! It is a thrill, isn't it?

Congrats on a great find. I’ve only found one arrowhead. It was a perfect bird point made of pink quartz. It was during a Boy Scout hike and it was laying on the surface. Sadly one of my fellow Scouts stole it from my pack.

But a couple of years ago I was metal detecting in Old Town on Amelia Island and was searching for a signal in a pile of dirt at a construction site and as I was delving through the soil and found this tiny bowl which I believe was carved from bone. One person has stated they believe it was a paint bowl used by native Americans while tattooing.

I'm guessing that fellow scout did not make it to eagle.

It looks like your atlatl point (no, it's too big to be an arrowhead) is made from Chalcedony. Always wanted to find a local source of that stone because I flint knapp. I love the colors and variation in the material. Nice find.

Back
Top Bottom