• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Mind blowing ring 💍

Didn't they develop some type of photographic finger print for diamonds and their inclusions? I thought I saw that on the news(years ago) for some high end diamonds. That way they can keep a record of the owners. If they were stolen or lost then they could be traced back to the seller/owner. I assume a diamond of that size would be "high end" and have a record of it. Congrats! that's a bucket list item for sure.

Didn't they develop some type of photographic finger print for diamonds and their inclusions? I thought I saw that on the news(years ago) for some high end diamonds. That way they can keep a record of the owners. If they were stolen or lost then they could be traced back to the seller/owner. I assume a diamond of that size would be "high end" and have a record of it. Congrats! that's a bucket list item for sure.

You could be right.

And if not an "inclusion finger print," possibly a serial number or some other etched mark.

OP: I would take it to a local jeweler and check to and see if the diamond is "marked" in some way, just to make sure you are on the up and up.

If that gets a FL clarity rating, that ring could be worth in excess of $15K.

I would have already been to see the folks at the friendly jewelry store in my area. They have been good to check things for me.

If that is real and is a quality stone you are looking at some big bucks. My best find appraised at $4500. and that stone is worth considerable more than that if it is real and is quality which i suspect that it is.

Keep us informed.

Didn't they develop some type of photographic finger print for diamonds and their inclusions? I thought I saw that on the news(years ago) for some high end diamonds. That way they can keep a record of the owners. If they were stolen or lost then they could be traced back to the seller/owner. I assume a diamond of that size would be "high end" and have a record of it. .....

You could be right.

And if not an "inclusion finger print," possibly a serial number or some other etched mark.....

BB67 and MH-9162013 : This subject has come up on md'ing forums before. Which brings up ... uh .... *interesting* conversation about Lost & Found issues. Eg.: If you try to sell it, you bump into nuances of "found vs stolen". And has ramifications into lost & found laws (where you can't just "find" a mountain bike leaning next to a park bench, and go sell it, blah blah ).

I had not heard of what BB67 alludes to . Where some sort of genetic type fingerprint ID can be mapped out (since no two diamonds are ever 100% identical ). And put into some sort of data-base. Where that diamond is now "unique on planet earth", etc...

But I had heard of what MH9162013 is speaking of : micro-laser-engraving, where a serial # is etched into the diamond. So small that it needs a microscope to see it. This is done for insurance purposes. Or done at wherever the diamond mining is going on , so that you can trace the diamond back to the mine of origination, etc.... But, from what I heard, is only for extremely large/expensive stones. And is only discerned, thereafter, if someone is using specialized equipment to look for, or see, this ID #.

It brings up interesting ramifications, for the next time you or I find that nice 2 carat diamond, and just *assume* that we can sell that puppy, in the same way we'd be selling our melt silver & gold. Eh ? :shrug: :police:

Yes, have it checked by a jeweler. Cubic zirconia can look just like a diamond.

And moissanite can test as a diamond. I had a real beauty. Had it tested and was told that it was a high quality diamond.

A different jeweler tested it and said sorry but it is not a diamond. Its Moissanite.

I THEN had it tested a third time and it tested as moissanite.

congrats on the gold and that HUGE chunk of ice on the top of it!

and if that stone is over a carat and has good clarity, you're looking at 8 to 10 thou or more! keep in mind that's retail price. once it's out of the display case things tend to change.

Pete

Boy that's a beauty for sure. My question would be..who would be dumb enough to wear such an exquisite piece of jewelry in the water????? I mean seriously,.. Like some posted maybe it was thrown there out of anger. Whatever the case congrats to you for saving it!

They do a microscopic examination of the cut gem, and a plot on a standard diagram the position of all inclusions and their types. Along with the color grade and the weight, that is sufficient to identify a diamond...but only for cut stones. Once cut it is very difficult to identify the mine source of the diamond. This type of identification can prove if your jeweler switches stones when you take it in for cleaning. Sometimes happens.

The laser engraving is done on the edge between the upper and lower facets, and is done on expensive stones for insurance purposes.

It's obviously fake....even the gold. I think that the best thing to do would be to dispose of it properly. I have the proper facilities to dispose of it. Just ship it to me (I'll even cover shipping costs :) )

I am a professional appraiser and I can do it for free. I am currently out of the country helping children receive cancer treatment but I can have my driver come by and receive it. I will just need your social security number so that I can look up your address (no need to give it to me). What is a good number to reach you at so my driver can receive the gold and diamond ring from you. Also I will need your Social security number.
God Bless and good fortunes.
Prince Ismeal Palolocnik

Back
Top Bottom