Montana, Club Update

DustyRoundup

Howdy All,
Well, it seems the first post had alot of views, but no interest?
I am determined, to start a club. LOL , heres the update.
I feel, if there were a club, it would be a good source for

A) New detectorists to learn the laws of our state concerning our hobby.Fed, State, County and City laws will be in a monthly newsletter.
they can also learn M.D.ing Ethics, and meet others of the same interests, and possibly find hunting buddies.
Also to have fun at mini hunts and competition hunts.

B) For the Veteran detectorist, you all have alot to offer. we need you.
But , what would you get out of it?
There will be, at least 1 Competition hunt per year, with prizes.
There will also be, a few "Mini -Hunts" throughout the summer.
And , there will be a "Best find of the month " contest at the monthly meetings.

I would like it to be known. I am just trying to get this started. The club, will be run as a club.
What we make of it , is what we get. By-laws, Officers, Events, meeting times, "Club Name" etc, are all up to "The Club " as a whole.
I'll do anything I can , to make things happen.

I will be setting up a rough draft of a monthly newsletter in the next 2 months. The newsletter will be out by March.
Currently, I am thinking it wise to base the first meeting in BUTTE. Meeting to be held the first part of April.
I have one Sponsor so far.
Any and All help would be Greatly Appreciated.

Also, I would like to state, I am only trying to get things rolling. I may not do things perfect the first time.
Take for example the first newsletter, all I can do is give it my best shot.
If Anyone wants to take over something I am doing, I will gladly step back.

Thanks for your time,
Sincerely
Dusty

Looks like you're doing about all you can do. I see that you have at least one fellow detector user in your area. have you seen any others? Every time I saw anyone detecting, I stopped and told them about our club. Some you could tell right off, weren't the type you would want. They were too wrapped up in themselves and didn't have any use for others. Still, I met some, who ended up joining and became good friends. Does your local dealer know of other users? Make sure that he passes along your information. You could leave a number of flyers with him. You might even give him a free ad in your first newsletter. Once you get going, you will gain new members by word of mouth. People tell their friends. You might check with Coin Shops, since coins and Metal Detecting run together. Just keep your eyes open around town. You might find some out detecting. A small ad in your local newspaper telling about your first meeting might help too. Just get the word out. It sounds like you're doing a good job so far. Don't forget to save me a newsletter.

I generally get thru Mt once a year and would be interested
in your newsletter and events. Let me know if you get it up
and running.

club update

hey all first let me introduce myself im ronald daniels i am living in bozeman and looking for other detectorists and treasure hunters/prospectors with whom to enjoy the hobby its great to hear a club is underway imagine we live in one of the most historical places in the country gold and treasure rich and i have yet to find 1 club congrats again and please keep me informed

rd

Garrett GTI 2500 with 12 inch and 9 inch imaging, 7x10 inch DD ellipticle and 4 inch supersniper Master Hunter CX Plus with 7x10 inch, 14x10 inch DD and BLOODHOUND. Garrett Pro Pointer

Last edited:
Howdy

Howdy,

Well, first I should say that, that number for the club in Helena, as of last fall, when I called it , the lady said that the feller that kept it going had passed away.
I have tried to find out, if by chance the members had started a new club ,
but have not had any luck whatsoever.
If they were still around , I'd be signing up in a heartbeat !
So, I guess I need to keep going with this.
Monty is sort of far away, but seems interested,
Ronald, nice to meet you, Your not that far away actually.
And Western legend, I have read your posts, and dang , I wish you were close, as you seem to be a wealth of info on the history of this great state.

Well, you guys, I am going to stick through this , for at least this year.
By march I will have a newsletter of sorts, but I am leaning towards a flyer type newsletter, to post around different stores and towns.
As summer gets closer, I may put otu a few bucks ,and place an ad in the nickel .
I can definitely get us on some private ground , at an old stage stop , that isnt there anymore. out in the Big Hole.
I'm just wondering, is that too far out ? would you all be able to camp out , out there, and I guess as time nears, I need to figure out a day or days , that would fit into you all's schedule .
I have my own business, so I can schedule any time.

More feed back would be great.

Hey Dusty, I'm located a little west of Spokane Wa. Just curious about how far that is from the location of you or where your looking to have the club located? Meetings for me on a regular basis may be out of the question, but I'd have no problem joining and paying a dues fee just for the chance of hunting with more seasoned hunters to get some experience and learn.

Thanks in advance

Howdy,

Well, first I should say that, that number for the club in Helena, as of last fall, when I called it , the lady said that the feller that kept it going had passed away.
I have tried to find out, if by chance the members had started a new club ,
but have not had any luck whatsoever.
If they were still around , I'd be signing up in a heartbeat !
So, I guess I need to keep going with this.
Monty is sort of far away, but seems interested,
Ronald, nice to meet you, Your not that far away actually.
And Western legend, I have read your posts, and dang , I wish you were close, as you seem to be a wealth of info on the history of this great state.

Well, you guys, I am going to stick through this , for at least this year.
By march I will have a newsletter of sorts, but I am leaning towards a flyer type newsletter, to post around different stores and towns.
As summer gets closer, I may put otu a few bucks ,and place an ad in the nickel .
I can definitely get us on some private ground , at an old stage stop , that isnt there anymore. out in the Big Hole.
I'm just wondering, is that too far out ? would you all be able to camp out , out there, and I guess as time nears, I need to figure out a day or days , that would fit into you all's schedule .
I have my own business, so I can schedule any time.

More feed back would be great.

Time and scheduling are usually not problem for me and I like the camping option. If an area can be hunted for a few days productively, it makes the drive less of an issue.

Thanks for taking on this project and keeping it moving! :waytogo:

:crazy:

mg

Howdy

Howdy Monty ,and Sully,

Well, Great! Its nice to know that you guys are interested.

First , Sully I am thinking, that if you came over , and hit Missoula, then went south to "The Big Hole". Hmm?,,,,,That would be a long drive ! LOL
I'm thinking maybe 6 or more hours?
The Big Hole is down by Wisdom, South of Anaconda, and a little N.W. of Dillon.

There are a few other sites to hunt in the area though, and this Stage Stop is on private ground, which borders the "Pintlar Range" Nat. forest.
So, just up the road, theres a campground, at Pintlar lake. No Fee
That would be a good place to camp, as there are trees to break the wind , and it is awesome country.The lake has Dolly Varden trout, and brookies,and the creek has brookies too
Pintlar falls are close by too, and I'm sure people have been visiting them for a long time.
I actually found my oldest coin in that campground, a 1901 barber dime, at 2 inches down.

The area has some history for sure. We just got my Girlfriends DAD a Detector for Christmas, and he is ready to go, and he knows the history out there. as he lives out there, and retired from a ranch out there. that same ranch used to be a stop for the Cavalry.
But , I havent hunted that site myself, as there are 2 guys here locally that know how to detect, and they have hit that place hard.
But, ya never know what they missed.

So, yeah, as a matter of fact, why dont we just figure on this being a 2 day hunt/ get together/ camp out.
That way, some folks can make it a day trip, and those that want to camp out ,and hit it the next day can too.

OK, so , that country is usually colder than anywhere else in the world ,LOL.

We should probably think more along the lines of a June , ? outing?
Just for the camping out aspect.

Thanks for your feedback, as it sure helps to keep me motivated.

Sincerely,
John

Howdy Monty ,and Sully,

Well, Great! Its nice to know that you guys are interested.

So, yeah, as a matter of fact, why dont we just figure on this being a 2 day hunt/ get together/ camp out.
2 Days? Heck, Dude - I'm an old guy. If I show up they'll be lucky to boot me in a week. After all, Gem Mountain, Garnet & other Ghost towns are all right there!! :grin:
That way, some folks can make it a day trip, and those that want to camp out ,and hit it the next day can too.
Good thinkin' here!

OK, so , that country is usually colder than anywhere else in the world ,LOL.

We should probably think more along the lines of a June , ? outing?
Just for the camping out aspect.

Sounds good to me!

Thanks for taking the lead, lad!

:waytogo:
mg

I will show some interest in your club because I'll be looking
for a cooler area to spend some time in during the hot summer months. Currently spending winters in Quartzsite
AZ. I have some spots in mind for hunts in MT, WY, but
would require some travel from the Big Hole country.

Monty

Howdy Monty,
Dang, I think it would be great if you could make it.
My girlfriends dad lives out there, and we just bought him a detector for Christmas.
He LOVES it.
He grew up by the Gold Coin, as his dad was caretaker of the water at Silver Lake .
But he has retired from a ranch out in the Big Hole, so he knows that country well.
He's a heck of a likeable man, I'm sure you two would enjoy talkin, and I would enjoy listening.

He's got a couple of good possible lost treasure stories.

Well, Keep in touch, and keep up the good writing.

Take Care
Dusty

He's a heck of a likeable man, I'm sure you two would enjoy talkin, and I would enjoy listening.

He's got a couple of good possible lost treasure stories.

Well, Keep in touch, and keep up the good writing.

Take Care
Dusty

I'm lookin' forward to the hunt(s). The camping was and is an excellent option. So much so that I have already got 5 people from this county thinkin' about - three of 'em show more than average interest. One of 'em's just a kid - not even 40 years old yet!

:oldguy:

mg

Howdy Monty

Well, Great !,
I think my list of possible show ups , is at 15 ,so ya never know.
Even if only half show, that would be great..

Yep, I'm gettin kind of excited too.
This sounds like its going to work out just fine.

Well, Keep in touch, and let me know of any ideas.

Dusty

Dusty, thanks for the response. Sorry for the slow reply, I had a few Bud lights that night and forgot to check back. I'll definately be following this thread. My wife and I have talked about heading over into Montana for quite sometime to do some sight seeing so this would be a great oppurtunity.

SS

Depending on the timing, I might be interested in joining in. Im familiar with the Big Hole and Wisdom area. If I come Ill bring a good sleeping bag and a coat. I have seen it frost there in August.

Back
Top Bottom