63 yr old female back in the hobby after 20 yrs

notech

Back in the mid 90's i got my first detector, a Whites Eagle SL 2. I wish the internet and youtube were around back then for guidance! We got treasure hunting mags and found a few penpals from their classifieds that lived in a nearby state for hunts.

Only realizing it now from the internet, I spent a lot of time battling N. GA mineralized clay. It's a wonder i found any silver. found miniballs in our yard in Marietta, GA south of Kennesaw Mountain. Silver on sidewalk belts in small towns. We even tried our hand at gold dredging with a pontoon dredge in rivers and creeks around Dahlonega, GA.

Fast forward to today. After giving my Eagle SL 2 away several years ago when I was down to only my 4" coil and having issues with the detector, I definitely regretted it. I met a local digger last week with his Garrett AT Pro. I was sold and quickly ordered one online. It was that or the ACE series, but i like to detect in the rain, snow, and manual ground balance, so I chose the AT. Got my AT Pro delivered yesterday.

The soil in Oklahoma is like dust bowl brick powder from lack of rain right now, so i couldn't break the surface for some good signals with the few hours I spent with it, but i did find 4 wheaties and a 1916 silver Liberty dime in my yard. The silver find was very strange, because the color didn't "pop" in the hole like GA red clay, or FL sand. It wasn't until i rubbed the brown dirt away that I saw it was a silver.

I have several questions about the differences between the Eagle 2 SL and the AT pro. I'll look for the right forum where I can ask questions. I do miss my Eagles pinpoint trigger on the handle, but this AT looks easy enough to program, vs the Whites.

love viewing all the members finds on the forum and the knowledge everyone shares is very helpful.

thx for the add to the forum!

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!

This AT Pro video series might be of help, here is part 1 of a 4 part series they made, after part 1 you should see where you can click for part 2 and so on -

Welcome to the forum! The AT Pro is a great machine and will find you a lot of goodies. I always ran mine in Pro Zero mode with sensitivity as high as I could run and still keep it stable. Just enough discrimination to knock out small iron such as nails. Personally, after ground balancing in auto I would manually knock it down a couple points.
Good luck and keep us posted on your finds.

Welcome from SW Pa.. Good choice on the AT Pro, ya can't go wrong. Did that 1916 dime have a mint mark ? Good luck, Mark.

Welcome from W. Tn.. we may have moved some of the same N. Ga gravel.. HH

:welcome2: from the Great Black Swamp in NW Ohio! Good to see your interest in the hobby renewed, and great to see you here!

Back in the mid 90's i got my first detector, a Whites Eagle SL 2. I wish the internet and youtube were around back then for guidance! We got treasure hunting mags and found a few penpals from their classifieds that lived in a nearby state for hunts.

Only realizing it now from the internet, I spent a lot of time battling N. GA mineralized clay. It's a wonder i found any silver. found miniballs in our yard in Marietta, GA south of Kennesaw Mountain. Silver on sidewalk belts in small towns. We even tried our hand at gold dredging with a pontoon dredge in rivers and creeks around Dahlonega, GA.

Fast forward to today. After giving my Eagle SL 2 away several years ago when I was down to only my 4" coil and having issues with the detector, I definitely regretted it. I met a local digger last week with his Garrett AT Pro. I was sold and quickly ordered one online. It was that or the ACE series, but i like to detect in the rain, snow, and manual ground balance, so I chose the AT. Got my AT Pro delivered yesterday.

The soil in Oklahoma is like dust bowl brick powder from lack of rain right now, so i couldn't break the surface for some good signals with the few hours I spent with it, but i did find 4 wheaties and a 1916 silver Liberty dime in my yard. The silver find was very strange, because the color didn't "pop" in the hole like GA red clay, or FL sand. It wasn't until i rubbed the brown dirt away that I saw it was a silver.

I have several questions about the differences between the Eagle 2 SL and the AT pro. I'll look for the right forum where I can ask questions. I do miss my Eagles pinpoint trigger on the handle, but this AT looks easy enough to program, vs the Whites.

love viewing all the members finds on the forum and the knowledge everyone shares is very helpful.

thx for the add to the forum!

WELCOME! Cool lead in.

Next up on your purchase list, should be a quality pin pointer like the Garrett Pro Pointer or the Whites TRX. Pinpointers will speed your recovery time (by a crazy amount!) over using the coil to pin point.

Also, with the DD coil that the AT Pro has, try the "Wiggle method" where you isolate the signal, by wiggling side to side (the "ding" will come as it crosses the middle DD overlap). Keep the signal dinging rapidly (wiggling tightly) and back the coil up until it no longer dings. The target will be right at the top center of your coil. This method is 10x faster than using the pin pointer function to try to isolate the target. You'll find, once you get the wiggle method down, the target isolation won't even require the pin point function at all. you'll LOVE the DD coil for this alone.

Cheers!

Welcome! Sounds like you had a good day with your new detector. Happy Hunting!

Welcome to the forum from Corsicana, Texas! I also took a 20 year break. Just got started back 2016. Would have been great to have all of the Internet resources when I started. You will enjoy the AT Pro.

Welcome from S.E. KS. I started in '81 with a White 6000D, found lots of silver and handfuls of Indian Head Pennies. The old one room schools were easy picking back then. After a 35 year lay off I started up again this August with an ACE 300, an month later I got the AT Pro. It's a great machine. As others have said, you should get a good pin pointer. I know, we didn't have them back in the day but if you get one now you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.
I also recommend starting a spread sheet to keep track of your finds but location, date and how many of each denomination coin. Wish I had made a list like that years ago.

John

The At pro is a great detector, I was going slow and doing the dd coil wiggle in a trashy school and found a silver turquoise ring yesterday!
Good luck Happy hunting.

The AT Pro is a good choice. Listen for the crisp signals without the wha-wha mixed in. When you get a tone that is sharp and crisp so-to-speak, that should be a good find. If you swing it back and forth over a target and you are getting a double signal or a blip,blip, it is probably a pull tab. The VDI will be reading in the 50's and possibly in the low 60's. High tone while it is showing way deep can be iron. Usually the signal will be wha-wha, mixed in. I will generally hunt with it set on pro and open on everything. Got to have earphones though to really hear the tones properly. At least for me that is the case. Don't forget that there are freq options there if you find a lot of interference. Let us know how you do with the AT Pro.
Happy hunting,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom