• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

My heart stopped...

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
Working the lake today and got a very IFFY signal. I followed that little voice that says, you better just dig anyway. Out popped an earring with what!? A huge diamond?!????? My heart failed for a second, then reason hit. This diamond is huge, no way can be it real. If it was attached to gold, it wouldn't be tarnished. It sure looks pretty, have not had it tested. My wife says I'd be wasting my time to have someone check it, what do you think?

Also found a nice 1923 Merc, a 43 War nickel, I believe a 38/39 nickel, 1945 S wheat, and the usual. Happy Hunting to all my forum friends who (like me) don't find Gold Coins! :D

Attachments

• Diamond.jpg
    Diamond.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 804
  • Diamond 1.jpg
    Diamond 1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 810
  • Side diamond.jpg
    Side diamond.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 837
  • Toasty merc.jpg
    Toasty merc.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 788
  • 23 merc.jpg
    23 merc.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 841
  • 43 nick.jpg
    43 nick.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 787
  • Lot.jpg
    Lot.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 831
... My wife says I'd be wasting my time to have someone check it, what do you think? ....

Is the metal marked gold or plat (A ssuuppeerr teeny inscription on the stud) ?

I hate to say it: But it's probably going to be cubic zirconia or something. Because, let's be honest, if that IS a real diamond, it's ... uh .... hugh. I hope I'm wrong.

Is the metal marked gold or plat (A ssuuppeerr teeny inscription on the stud) ?

I hate to say it: But it's probably going to be cubic zirconia or something. Because, let's be honest, if that IS a real diamond, it's ... uh .... hugh. I hope I'm wrong.

Can't find any markings on the stud. I'm pretty sure CZ but here's to hoping :wine2: I'll get it checked out tomorrow.

Draw a line on a piece of paper and lay the stud on it face down. If you can see the line through it, it is probably CZ. You can't see through a diamond.

Try the fog test, next to a real diamond. First, clean off all the debris and crud on the earring.

Second "breathe" on the stone, like you would if you were trying to fog a set of glasses. A diamond will dissipate heat almost instantly, and fog won't stick. CZ and other stones don't do that, so about the time you bring it from your breath to your eye, it'll be clear already.

Like I said, do this next to a known diamond. It's highly accurate.

now, that having been said, CZ is known to have a fuzzy white appearance, and that stone looks like a CZ. Pictures can be wrong, though, I know I've had my fair share of tested diamonds challenged on this site (even when I told folks it was tested... LOL..> I even posted a video to prove one of them, a while back... the whole situation made me laugh, because someone couldn't believe a stone that big was real... go figure).

Option two is to take it to a box store and have it tested. Virtually any jewelry counter will have a diamond tester. Fred Meyers, Walmart, you name it...

Cheers,

Skippy

Your wife said your wasting your time getting it checked,,, You know how many time people tell me I'm wasting my time metal detecting,,, They also say your wasting your time detecting in that area,,, Then their mouth drop open when your metal detector goes off and you find a old coin,,, :shock:,,, I say waste your time and get it check,,, Does it cut glass,,, :?:

It looks pretty, all crusty-encased like that. The wife's eyeball test failed, so don't get your hopes up, but do waste your time getting it tested. Have 'em check it for moissanite too. Might also be a bit of scrap silver there. GL!

Cool find! :thumbsup: The stone doesn't look like diamond to me, but I would still advise checking into it. If you do have it appraised, a good rule of thumb is to not let it out of your sight. You have probably heard that jewelers can swap out real stones with artificial/less valuable ones.

Congrats on the coins!

Quick update, it was confirmed to not be real. :shrug:

I guess that means back to detecting! Thanks for the advice on the CZ, and I'm definitely aware of the "back room" stuff with jewelry. It happened once where they disappeared in the back room with my wifes ring. There was no reason for it and I got it back immediately.

Happy hunting! :sledding::snowballfight:

Back
Top Bottom