Poster here named Detector and others likely will find this Equinox info helpful

What is the purpose of accepting/rejecting a target? If you reject a target will the machine not alert you to the same target later?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I only know what I know about Equinox based on Minelab folks posting and Mr Herschbach posts. Along with some YouTube vids and what was said publically at Detectival.

Accept/reject I would guess is accepting ID or rejecting ID.
And accepting would mean audio provided.

This is just an educated guess based on Etrac and CTX workings.

So just a hunch here.

Minelab seems uses accept/reject lingo wise, where other manufacturers use notch, un notch.

So, I sure don't want to give wrong info to folks.

I only know what I know about Equinox based on Minelab folks posting and Mr Herschbach posts. Along with some YouTube vids and what was said publically at Detectival.

Accept/reject I would guess is accepting ID or rejecting ID.
And accepting would mean audio provided.

This is just an educated guess based on Etrac and CTX workings.

So just a hunch here.

Minelab seems uses accept/reject lingo wise, where other manufacturers use notch, un notch.

So, I sure don't want to give wrong info to folks.
Ok, that's what I figured. I have never used a Minelab, but I am paying attention to the Equinox. Thank you.

I know a lot of guys are anticipating this machine,and I agree it’s cool looking.But IM just at the point to where I don’t see the advantages of these new releases anymore.
I mean,I was a guini pig for the racer,then the racer 2,deus,at max,and almost that chaser before I put the brakes on myself.And all those machines are good,no question.But it’s just a endless cycle,in a way I’m glad the hype continues and always will cause it makes it a buyers market for awesome used machines.I just don’t see any machine replacing a Etrac or a deus,in my opinion those are the two best machines on the market

I know a lot of guys are anticipating this machine,and I agree it’s cool looking.But IM just at the point to where I don’t see the advantages of these new releases anymore.
I mean,I was a guini pig for the racer,then the racer 2,deus,at max,and almost that chaser before I put the brakes on myself.And all those machines are good,no question.But it’s just a endless cycle,in a way I’m glad the hype continues and always will cause it makes it a buyers market for awesome used machines.I just don’t see any machine replacing a Etrac or a deus,in my opinion those are the two best machines on the market

The keyword Woodbutcher in your response here...look in the next to the last line- the word OR.

This may indeed be where Minelab is trying to go with Equinox.

One detector to do most of one's detecting, or be more universal in application of detecting.

Waterproof to boot.

Just some speculation here.

Could this detector ID deeper than a Deus?
Could this detector have a faster recovery than Etrac?
Could this detector handle mineralization a tad better than either of the Deus and or Etrac.
Could this detector be cheaper than either of the 2 detectors mentioned.
Weight wise is lighter than Etrac and a tad heavier than Deus.

Waterproof vlfs detectors that are deemed all terriain/general purpose.
At Max
At Gold
At Pro
White's MX Sport
And the mighty expensive CTX.

How much in a lacking sense will Equinox be at IDing at depth vs Etrac/CTX or even older fbs units??

Will the Equinox be able to ID aluminum better than a Deus and other Vlf detectors?

How will Equinox ID the difference between say a copper penny and dime?

How alerting is Equinox on gold, even smaller gold using both multi freq as well as single freq?

How does the audio flow?
Comparing to Etrac and Deus??

Salt water/beach application here with Equinox likely will be better than all other single freq detectors available.
But could it fall a tad short of CTX?

The weight of Equinox is very attractive, for women, children, older folks, and even younger folks who hunt for extended periods of time.

To currently even buy one each used Etrac and Deus, one is talking roughly $1200 plus, and this person spending here likely little warranty left if at all on the Etrac.

And here is the real kicker.
We as detectorist can ONLY use one detector at a time.

I am not in the tank for Minelab, or Equinox or any other manufacturers model(s).
I use what works.
If something comes along cheaper and or lighter and will do similar to what my other detectors do,,,hip hip hooray.

In time, we will hopefully know for certain just how the mighty Equinox models shake out performance wise.

Equinox to be successful seller doesn't have to be the best at any one thing- when compared to all other models available, made both past and present.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of accepting/rejecting a target? If you reject a target will the machine not alert you to the same target later?

MG...when you’re editing a “pattern” with a ML machine,Accept/Reject is just setting your discrimination,just like “notch” on other machines. With the e-series like eTrac and Explorers along with the CTX,this can be set very finely.
Don’t let any of that “Minelabs are complicated and difficult” business deter you from buying any ML machine...they are not that black box of magic some make them out to be.
And TN is right,as long as the Equinox is a solid all around performer with the ability to be tweaked for higher performance in certain scenarios,it’ll appeal to many. It’s looking pretty good so far,but will take a lot more people using it in difficult conditions to really know if it’s a “game changer”. I am hoping that the new tech will make a great addition to my current machines...

Think about this.

Some here likely read about a so-called hybrid unit.
And when this was discussed usually, this referred to Vlf and pulse induction in one detector.

But look what has happened.
Is Equinox indeed a hybrid unit?
Being multi freq and single freq.

I think so.
Folks didn't see this coming I don't think.
Maybe they thought using a single coil made it unlikely.

I like!

As someone who started as a Whites fan I do know the value of a good threshold and I miss it in some of the newer machines. The AT Pro for example. Killer detector because you don't need to discriminate/notch out any numbers, which can cause masking in the right conditions, because Iron Audio tells the story but there is no threshold.

Having 50 target ID segments isn't bad. In fact isn't that the same as the CTX 3030? If I remember right the CTX 3030 upped the Conductive target ID segments from 45 on the E-Trac to 50 on the CTX. In any case 50 is good. Good enough resolution for good target ID.

And you guys are right about the value of higher resolution target ID. You hate to discriminate/notch any VDI numbers because you know it will increase the masking potential. The higher the target ID resolution the less masking to worry about.

Man I just keep liking the things I see on the Equinox.

Thanks sharpshooter

I like!

As someone who started as a Whites fan I do know the value of a good threshold and I miss it in some of the newer machines. The AT Pro for example. Killer detector because you don't need to discriminate/notch out any numbers, which can cause masking in the right conditions, because Iron Audio tells the story but there is no threshold.

Having 50 target ID segments isn't bad. In fact isn't that the same as the CTX 3030? If I remember right the CTX 3030 upped the Conductive target ID segments from 45 on the E-Trac to 50 on the CTX. In any case 50 is good. Good enough resolution for good target ID.

And you guys are right about the value of higher resolution target ID. You hate to discriminate/notch any VDI numbers because you know it will increase the masking potential. The higher the target ID resolution the less masking to worry about.

Man I just keep liking the things I see on the Equinox.

Thanks sharpshooter

You are welcome Terry.

This detector is everything that salt water hunters have been asking for. Light weight. multi frequency, and of course waterproof. Some of us Sovereign users have been waiting close to twenty years for this detector. All it has to do now is perform. I personally have to wonder if the E Trac is going bye bye. For the price of the Equinox I can't see buying an new E trac.

This detector is everything that salt water hunters have been asking for. Light weight. multi frequency, and of course waterproof. Some of us Sovereign users have been waiting close to twenty years for this detector. All it has to do now is perform. I personally have to wonder if the E Trac is going bye bye. For the price of the Equinox I can't see buying an new E trac.

Goodmore,
I look at this situation like this.

The detector market overall was a sitting duck.
And Minelab is taking advantage.

Funny thing is, just what you said.
Minelab models could take a hit sales wise too.
But at least the business will stay in the family.

A manufacturer competing against itself.
Fascinating!!!
Or said another way, playing for keeps!!

We'll see soon.

Equinox is like a sov and e trac in one I hope....I will be really happy if it
Sees deeper than my Atpro! Thats all I need for less than $900.

Paitiently waiting to see if it lives up to the hype.

Sounds like it could be an awesome VLF beach machine.

Just don't think Minelab would do anything to cannibalize it's own sales by making a product with all the abilities of their $1500 machine with a detector that sells for half the price. Remember their a business designed to make money, and frankly has to make money. Sales are sales and profits are profits.

Now, no doubt it will pull from some of the potential Etrac sales, but not many. If this is as good as expected, I see a version two, or an future addition to the Equinox line with a higher end machine in the series. This upper end Equinox that I envision will replace the Etrac, not the model that is soon to be released.

Paitiently waiting to see if it lives up to the hype.

Sounds like it could be an awesome VLF beach machine.

Just don't think Minelab would do anything to cannibalize it's own sales by making a product with all the abilities of their $1500 machine with a detector that sells for half the price. Remember their a business designed to make money, and frankly has to make money. Sales are sales and profits are profits.

Now, no doubt it will pull from some of the potential Etrac sales, but not many. If this is as good as expected, I see a version two, or an future addition to the Equinox line with a higher end machine in the series. This upper end Equinox that I envision will replace the Etrac, not the model that is soon to be released.

I wouldn't assume anything as far as Minelab goes.
World domination I think is their goal.

They may watch Equinox sales, users comments while they are designing their next flagship.
The next flagship could already be near completion for all we know.

But for a what seems like a universal use detector with wireless headphones for $900 US is pretty good (800 model).

And for them to offer the 600 model for the price they have,,if it is stable on salt beach, who could complain? For that kinda dough.

Will be one of the lightest metered detectors.
Will be one of a few multi freq detectors.
Will be one of the cheaper waterproof detectors (600 model)

Look the At Pro sold well, the Equinox should sell even better.

And the 800 model running at higher freqs.

How many general purpose metered detectors run over 19khz?
And up to 40khz?? Using one coil.
Broad appeal to entire market.
Minelab studied here, studied hard.
When a person studies hard, what usually happens?

You get a good grade, right?

Time will tell, but for $649 or $899 depending on model, it will be interesting to see if folks will have ideas of just what both units lack for price paid for units.

So how close to perfect overall did Minelab get, really is the question here.

Now, saying this I don't think Equinox, either model will be perfect in the strictest sense, but how close did they get?

From the Explorer to the Safari to the Etrac and of course their top of the line Unit the depth is all the same. It is pretty much a lock that the depth will be.comparable on the Nox. Bells and whistles change per unit, but they finally are offeing something very appealing. A light weight detector. That alone should be enough to sell units.

Please !

I wouldn't assume anything as far as Minelab goes.
World domination I think is their goal.

They may watch Equinox sales, users comments while they are designing their next flagship.
The next flagship could already be near completion for all we know.

But for a what seems like a universal use detector with wireless headphones for $900 US is pretty good (800 model).

And for them to offer the 600 model for the price they have,,if it is stable on salt beach, who could complain? For that kinda dough.

Will be one of the lightest metered detectors.
Will be one of a few multi freq detectors.
Will be one of the cheaper waterproof detectors (600 model)

Look the At Pro sold well, the Equinox should sell even better.

And the 800 model running at higher freqs.

How many general purpose metered detectors run over 19khz?
And up to 40khz?? Using one coil.
Broad appeal to entire market.
Minelab studied here, studied hard.
When a person studies hard, what usually happens?

You get a good grade, right?

Time will tell, but for $649 or $899 depending on model, it will be interesting to see if folks will have ideas of just what both units lack for price paid for units.

So how close to perfect overall did Minelab get, really is the question here.

Now, saying this I don't think Equinox, either model will be perfect in the strictest sense, but how close did they get?
PLEASE ! I can't take much more, the hype, the suspense, please Minelab lets get this show on the road. lol I will say I am looking forward to comparing the Equinox with my Etrac. My expectations are high, along with alot others I'm sure, so big shoes to fill. HH Mark

Personally i don't need it to be deeper than the Etrac, but i'd love to see it as good as a Deus or Rutus on a 3d test of nails above coin.
I've heard it said that in multi freq it's not that fast, but in single freq it's Deus fast.

On a new untouched permission, with it's multiple freq choice, it could be deadly on it's first outing.
If used to it's limit i'd say it would leave little behind for even site specific machines.

Back
Top Bottom