Thoughts on Etrac vs Deus Hummmmm

Didn't watch the lonnnng video.

But here is my take comparing the 2.

Etrac loves high conductors.
Does not like lower conductors near as much.

Depth wise the 2 detectors are very similar,,,but Etrac can ID nonferrous object deeper and more accurately (not all the time) , but a good bit of the time.

EMI advantage Etrac.

Weight advantage Deus.

Cost
About the same

Deus better performer around nails and iron.

Smaller gold. Pewter, lead, etc Deus a better striker.

Both can handle ground with somewhat amped up minerals and still detect nonferous objects.

Learning curve
IMO advantage Etrac

Resell value
Edge to Etrac.

Warranty
Deus by 2 years.

Loads of aftermarket coils for Etrac.

None for Deus.
Expect to pony up the bigger $$ for additional coils.

Deus does have High Frequency coils available.
Can help a person depending on their sites or detecting goals.

Both in the hands of some one who knows what they are doing.
Both get grades of A+.

I will never show any disrespect towards either.
Both great detectors.

They complement each other very well in most sites.

Cheers

Didn't watch the lonnnng video.

But here is my take comparing the 2.

Etrac loves high conductors.
Does not like lower conductors near as much.

Depth wise the 2 detectors are very similar,,,but Etrac can ID nonferrous object deeper and more accurately (not all the time) , but a good bit of the time.

EMI advantage Etrac.

Weight advantage Deus.

Cost
About the same

Deus better performer around nails and iron.

Smaller gold. Pewter, lead, etc Deus a better striker.

Both can handle ground with somewhat amped up minerals and still detect nonferous objects.

Learning curve
IMO advantage Etrac

Resell value
Edge to Etrac.

Warranty
Deus by 2 years.

Loads of aftermarket coils for Etrac.

None for Deus.
Expect to pony up the bigger $$ for additional coils.

Deus does have High Frequency coils available.
Can help a person depending on their sites or detecting goals.

Both in the hands of some one who knows what they are doing.
Both get grades of A+.

I will never show any disrespect towards either.
Both great detectors.

They complement each other very well in most sites.

Cheers

100 percent accurate post

I agree as well as long as the takes were stock coil vs stock coil..... If i put the 6 inch dd excel coil or the sunray stealth on the etrac and have the settings right for iron i can get some good finds that i just can't get the deus to see.... but i have always always said ,,,, give me a 6 inch or 4x7 like the detech excel for the deus and i will use it instead. But doesn't look like we are ever going to see a small deus coil. I have been using my Impact with small elliptical and etrac small coil and doing well in the heavy trash sites lately. And between those 2 i use the Impact the most. Smacked a 1906 barber dime the other day at 8.5 inches in vlx1 , target did not bounce solid 85 and load and clear and this is in trash.

The guy in the video mostly finds high conductor milled coins, i think from memory the smaller low-mid conductor hammered silver is scarce in his area, i think he'd only found the one hammered at that stage, and it wasn't deep, he also has mostly large pastures compared to iron infested ploughed and rolled fields where the Deus excels.

My permissions would be similar,and i do well to dig 2 or 3 hammered in a year, even though i target them!
I'd agree with Tnss with the nod to the Etrac on high conductors, except in my more mineralised soil the Etrac and Deus is about equal on mid conductors at about 6"-7" on a small hammered silver at 12khz, but the Deus is sharper on smaller stuff @18khz.

Etrac Vs

I really can't comment on the Deus because I've never used one But there's no doubt it's a really good detector.

I wanted a detector that would get through some of the nasty Iron infested places that I hunt. Otherwise I'm quite happy with VLF beepers.

Reading tons of literature about both though led me to choose the E-trac because of Minelabs company history and stability worldwide.

There are a lot of accessories available for the E-trac both new and used. RNB batteries are just one example.

There's also a number of years of how to videos and tips on the E-Trac posted across the net by a large number of experienced satisfied users that answers about any question a person could have about an E-Trac.

Minelab has produced a long line of really good detectors for the past 30 years or more worldwide.

Plus the fact they just set up a new warranty/repair center in the US.

Last edited:
TNSS gave a good report. They have both found a great many targets for hunters out there. I'm personally not a fan of wireless coils. I believe the wireless allows EMI into the system. Updating them is a pain that doesn't need to happen. Same as charging and battery tracking. It keeps third party manufacturers from competition therefore driving up the costs for us. The E Trac is too heavy for me personally. I also like to hunt the iron like machine gun iron. Recovery is slow compared to modern day detectors. Just too many lighter faster units out there. And I really don't care what sound silver makes. That argument just makes me cringe.

Actually recovery on etrac is not even close to slow, it just seems slow depending on your setup. It can be setup to see targets as fast as you can swing it. If you want video proof watch the videos by Mowerdog on youtube.

Where the etrac excels is coils and accessories available and right now used etracs are very cheap compared to deus. And you can lose big silver with a bad deus setup. Bad news is smallest coil available for deus is 9 inch which is not small enough for some of the areas i hunt. But i still have a deus.

One more thing,, at least right now the Deus does have a better resale value than the etrac. I commonly see etracs sold in the 600 dollar range a lot of the times with either extra coils or accessories. Deus is holding it's values for the remote, 9 in coil and ws4 usually in the 900 to 950 range. And i honestly do not see this trend changing especially with the release of the Equinox.

One more thing,, at least right now the Deus does have a better resale value than the etrac. I commonly see etracs sold in the 600 dollar range a lot of the times with either extra coils or accessories. Deus is holding it's values for the remote, 9 in coil and ws4 usually in the 900 to 950 range. And i honestly do not see this trend changing especially with the release of the Equinox.

When I wrote what I did Etrac resale value better than Deus.
But time has passed.

Far more Etrac units out of warranty vs Deus units in USA.
Actually few Deus units in USA out of warranty since most were sold after XP extended warranty period.

Equinox too has likely had more affect on Etrac vs Deus.

But Equinox I think will affect Deus resale.
How much, don't know, we'll find out.

Will depend on how good Equinox is at doing certain things, its audio, etc.

Lots of folks have warmed up to Deus in the last couple years.
They seem to be dependable units too.
Even some etracers and CTXers have.

Where the Etrac and Deus complemented each other, it's possible the Equinox will be able to stand on it's own.
So anyone with a Deus or Etrac could easily see the Equinox filling say 90% of their detecting needs, sell both and keep the Equinox. But anyone wanting that extra 10%, that they feel gives them the edge in say depth or separation etc, will probably still have more units than just the Equinox that are setup to excel at certain tasks.

When it comes to recovery there are quite a few variables. Usually it involves another target like iron. How big is the iron? Where is it located? Above, below, beside? It is my own personal opinion that the Etrac has a harder time reporting good targets when confronted with changing variables like that compared to a few detectors currently out there. Its a great detector. Hall of fame worthy, but that is where it does not do it's best. Some of todays detectors like the Impact seem to be able to almost ignore the iron.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom