Problem curb strip hunting

pplinker

Forum Supporter
I had just started hunting a curb strip and a young woman with her little daughter pulled up in front of the house and said she had seen me in another part of town and asked if I was searching for something. I told her just old coins. She said she didn't want me digging any big holes. I told her I wouldn't. But she'd start moving on then think of something else to say to sling back over her shoulder. Said it was her yard. I said it is the curb strip and belongs to the city but if it upsets you i'll move along. She said she'd check on what kind of approval was needed, whatever she meant by that. I was very nice and not at all insisting on my right to MD there. But it kind of ruined things so I soon left.

Went to the city police office where two nice young officers said it was perfectly fine to hunt the curb strips but probably better to move on like I did.

I have seen on her you don't have to ask permission to curb hunt, and I know it's been discussed before. Just venting I guess.

The property between the sidewalk and the road is borough right away,,no one owned it..I've heard someone say it's on they're deed,i find that hard to believe..I own a tree service,and if a homeowner wants something done to a tree better sidewalk and the road I need to get approved from the borough

It's not necessarily defined by the sidewalk. Each roadway has a defined ROW, right of way, most communities are 60' the homeowner owns from property pin to property pin that could be 40' in from the road curb. It's a bum deal because they are responsible for maintaining it but have no true ownership of it, but in some cases the roadway has outgrown its original ROW and the lot may very well begin at the curb. It can really be trickier than just "between the curb and sidewalk is public" and that's why it's best to just move on when asked to.

i had just started hunting a curb strip and a young woman with her little daughter pulled up in front of the house and said she had seen me in another part of town and asked if i was searching for something. I told her just old coins. She said she didn't want me digging any big holes. I told her i wouldn't. But she'd start moving on then think of something else to say to sling back over her shoulder. Said it was her yard. I said it is the curb strip and belongs to the city but if it upsets you i'll move along. She said she'd check on what kind of approval was needed, whatever she meant by that. I was very nice and not at all insisting on my right to md there. But it kind of ruined things so i soon left.

Went to the city police office where two nice young officers said it was perfectly fine to hunt the curb strips but probably better to move on like i did.

I have seen on her you don't have to ask permission to curb hunt, and i know it's been discussed before. Just venting i guess.

<<<Deleted by Admin>>>>

This is a family forum frequented by women and children.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Just venting I guess.

Venting allowed here pplinker :laughing:

Your story just goes to show that we're in a hobby that has ... uh ... connotations. And you're NOT going to please every last person. You're not always going to have red-carpets rolled out. And you have to have a thick-skin at times, and know how to "give lip service". And that not every scram or busy-body gripe constitutes something that must be fought or clarified. Sometimes it means to just avoid that singular person, and .... choose more opportune times .

BTW : The visit to the police, in your story, could have gone another way, as has been seen on other posts on this topic: You could equally have gotten a police desk person whose image is geeks-with-shovels, to likewise (incorrectly) say : "you can't do that" (or some silly answer like "you have to have pub. work's dept. permission" etc....). In other words, the answer from ANY city desk, could be arbitrary and whimsical. Glad it worked out ok in your case. But no matter the answer: As long as you are leaving no trace, and as long as the public has easement there, then .... It's like nose-picking: It might offend some squeemish people, so ... choose more discreet times.

Hunting in front of someone's home without asking permission is just wrong. Even if it's City property.

Hunting in front of someone's home without asking permission is just wrong. Even if it's City property.

I agree with what you're saying, if the mental image of inevitable friction were to occur. But .... What if the md'r did so, in-such-a-way as to not elicit any flack ?

Venting allowed here pplinker :laughing:

BTW : The visit to the police, in your story, could have gone another way, as has been seen on other posts on this topic: You could equally have gotten a police desk person whose image is geeks-with-shovels, to likewise (incorrectly) say : "you can't do that" (or some silly answer like "you have to have pub. work's dept. permission" etc....). In other words, the answer from ANY city desk, could be arbitrary and whimsical. Glad it worked out ok in your case. But no matter the answer: As long as you are leaving no trace, and as long as the public has easement there, then .... It's like nose-picking: It might offend some squeemish people, so ... choose more discreet times.

Was thinking exactly that as I went to the police station, that they might be the type to not know and not check, just say no. But when she said something about checking approval I thought she might be going to call them so that's why I wanted to do it.

As far as discreet times, this was in the middle of the afternoon. However I went one morning as soon as it was light and couldn't believe all the traffic. It was main way in to a high school where they had basketball practice. Next time i'll choose a street with less traffic and not on route to the HS.

I understand what you're saying if they have taken the trouble to plant flowers out there or something, I'd leave it alone. I don't want to be groveling to people to ask to hunt city property. I'm thinking the more run down houses are less likely make any issue and more likely to be in older part of town anyway.

I used to hunt curb strips all the time. I talked to few people here & there, and can think of three who were offended by my presence in " their yard". One guy was a downright jerk about it too. I moved on like you did, put them behind me, and hunted every curb strip I could...just not there again.
So three times in 4 or 5 years is acceptable to me...as long as it doesn't escalate to a confrontation, of course.

I’m just gonna throw this out there.A home owner cannot give you permission to hunt a curb strip,they don’t own it.And this is just me,I’m not a people pleaser,I’m more of a live and let live.That being said ,I could care less what a home owner thinks,just like people in the parks have they’re opinions about me digging there.But the bottom line is they have no authority,just a opinion ,,and as long as I’m not doing anything wrong I’m not gonna let someone’s opinion stop me from having fun.

I try to make a judgement call based on the situation. If someone has landscaped or meticulously taken care of the curb strip I just pass it by without much thought. If it's in rough shape an only appears to be mowed than I will hit it. I also avoid any with cars parked next to them unless the owner happens to be out and I can let them know what I'm doing in advance. Just don't want anyone getting the wrong impression if they see some dude squatted down next to their car on side of the road. I know if I looked out the window and saw that I would get really excited until I realized what they were actually doing.

I’m just gonna throw this out there. A home owner cannot give you permission to hunt a curb strip they don’t own. And this is just me, I’m not a people pleaser, I’m more of a live and let live. That being said, I could care less what a home owner thinks...just like people in the parks have they’re opinions about me digging there. But the bottom line is they have no authority, just a opinion...and as long as I’m not doing anything wrong, I’m not gonna let someone’s opinion stop me from having fun.

Amen brother!

I prefer the curb strips at churches, businesses, apartment complexes, parks, and we even have grassy center medians with trees. Never had any confrontations on these and there are plenty of them to keep me busy. I steer clear of park strips in front of houses. Just my 2 cents.

I prefer the curb strips at churches, businesses, apartment complexes, parks, and we even have grassy center medians with trees. Never had any confrontations on these and there are plenty of them to keep me busy. I steer clear of park strips in front of houses. Just my 2 cents.

I like this idea...

iu

Back
Top Bottom