Coinstar Finds

dglantz

Elite Member
I always check the Coinstar reject tray when leaving the supermarket, usually I don't find much but today I couldn't believe my eyes pulling these two old Canadian large cents out of the tray.

Attachments

• IMAG2320.jpg
    IMAG2320.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 3,165
Incredible that someone would leave those!
I always check the Coinstar at my local Kroger but never found anything good until last month when I found a 1943 steel penny in the tray. Nice condition too!

The only thing that I can figure is that either, someone that inherited a coin collection doesn't know what they are worth, so they just dump them into the Coin Star, or, someone stole a coin collection and just want fast money, and don't care about the real value, if they are bright enough to know about it. Either way, it disturbs me that some potentially rare and valuable coins are being treated so poorly. :(

Those are in great shape! Maybe someone thought they were amusement tokens? At a quick glance, they sort of look like those "no cash value" amusement tokens.

Makes you wonder what made it inside the machine. And if the person who empties the coinstar machines looks for valuable coins before giving them to the bank. Probably not.

Those are sweet! :D Congrats. :thumbsup:

The best I've ever gotten from the reject tray was about a month ago when I got a modern Canadian Quarter and a Canadian Penny. Last week I got another Canadian Penny. I've also gotten some corroded zincolns. :shrug:

Ignorance of coin values

The only thing that I can figure is that either, someone that inherited a coin collection doesn't know what they are worth, so they just dump them into the Coin Star, or, someone stole a coin collection and just want fast money, and don't care about the real value, if they are bright enough to know about it. Either way, it disturbs me that some potentially rare and valuable coins are being treated so poorly. :(

It happens. Early in my meat cutting career when I was working for a small independent chain, the Produce Manager, who knew of my metal detecting hobby, came over to show me a $10 gold piece. Some kid came in and tried to spend it but the Produce Manager told him they are no good any more but offered him a dollar for it and the kid sold it to him for a dollar. Now I don't condone that at all, but that's what happened.

It happens. Early in my meat cutting career when I was working for a small independent chain, the Produce Manager, who knew of my metal detecting hobby, came over to show me a $10 gold piece. Some kid came in and tried to spend it but the Produce Manager told him they are no good any more but offered him a dollar for it and the kid sold it to him for a dollar. Now I don't condone that at all, but that's what happened.

I wonder who was the bigger crook--the kid who probably stole it from grampa's coin collection, or the Produce Manager that snookered the kid.

It would be interesting to see Coinstars rare coin finds list. I wouldnt be surprised if the system sorted coins like silver into a separate container

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I work for Royal Crown bottling co., and service anywhere from 5-7 stores a day. Always check them when I walk by. Nothing lately but I did notice that all Weis markets have removed their Coinstar machines. Waiting to see what replaces them.

Great coinstar finds. I check about 8-10 machines every week and find many Canadian coins, including silver ones, but have never found any that old.

I love those Canadian coppers, the side you have pictured is really cool looking. Never seen one with a mint mark either. Great finds!

nope

waitress dumped a tip jar.

Back
Top Bottom