How do you safely transport your bottles after you find them?

It's A Trap!

For the guys that have to walk a bit back to their car after they dig a couple of bottles from wherever, how do you keep your bottles from breaking on the way back?

I was thinking about lining a lunch box with foam and then adding foam inserts to deal with bottles of various sizes.

I'm not a bottle digger, but how about bubble wrap? I always save the stuff when I get a package.

I don't do much bottle collecting, but wrapping them in something that protects them, such as bubblewrap or foam, would probably to the trick. Also having a sturdy container, such as a six-pack beer carton may help (maybe you need to make it sturdier with duct tape), as therefore the bottles won't be able to bump into one another. Of course size and shape of the bottles would play a big role too.

Or maybe get a box, such as a lunchbox like you said, and fill it with packing peanuts so the bottles don't touch each other.

Like I said, I'm not a bottle collector, so someone with a bit more experience could probably elaborate a bit further. :)

I usually take a bunch of plastic store bags with me in my backpack and wrap 'em in those then pack 'em snugly together in the backpack. I've never had any crack or break unless they already had damage. For "special" or rare bottles I find, those get wrapped *real* good. I've seen diggers take milk crates (with packing) and even cardboard liquor boxes with those cardboard partitions in them. Most bottles are pretty strong but old medicines and inks (say 1890s or so) are quite thin and those need a lot of protection, especially the corners and lips. Everyone seems to have their own method that works best.

I transport bottles in a backpack. I wrap each one up individually with a t-shirt or pack towel. I also separate them by compartments in the backpack. Once I get to my truck, they go into whiskey bottle boxes which I keep in a milk crate. It holds a dozen boxes, or bottles. With a smaller bottles, I will stuff newspaper in the box to snug it up.

Attachments

• 20170618_152445.jpg
    20170618_152445.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 178
Back
Top Bottom