Nokta Impact information

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Folks,I have been given the all clear to talk about the detector. To share with you the detector overall.

First,,I would like to thank Dilek and her team at Nokta detectors for giving me this opportunity to test this detector,,,and give her and her team my recommendations and thoughts on the detector.

I will try and keep my comments strictly in this thread.
There are other folks who are also testers,,and you will see them maybe share their thoughts too about the detector.

To start with,,,a very versatile detector,,,some real thought keeping the detectorist in mind went into this device.

Is it a perfect detector?? No
There is IMO no such animal.

I will also be posting a few pics,,,showing some things I really like,,and to show how meticulous the manufacturer was here,,,in bringing the detecting community an overall I feel good option to purchase should folks decide.

My goal here with posting information and pics,,,is NOT to tell you to buy,,,that is solely up to you.

In discussing this detector some references will be made to other detectors,,,this not meant to degrade or demean any detector here,,,,but since some folks here do operate these detectors,,,,making such comments may indeed paint a clearer picture for folks interested in this detector.

I have been hesitant to start even putting together some info,,,for fear of possible changes that would be made to the detector upon final release.

I will do the best I can to help folks here,,,and if I post some thing in error about this detector,,,it certainly will be unintentional.

Give me a few minutes here and I will start with some info.

Last edited:
Look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.
I will also say that I was very skeptical of Makro as well as Nokta when they first came out and wondered out loud if they had what it took to be competitive in this business and if they could provide the level of customer service that the big guys are known for. I will say publicly that my dealings with Dilek and the manufacture have been nothing but positive and they have went above and beyond.
I think we will see more great things from these guys and gals.

Alright first up,,the arm cuff. A nice one here. Fully adjustable,,,no notches,no holes like some other detectors. Two fasteners is all you need to loosen to slide cuff. Arm cuff is plenty wide too for folks with bigger diameter arms.

Here is a pic showing the cable connect in stem,,,this connector very user friendly. Has a slot that wil line up with user just applying minimal pressure and turning,,,once mated up,,just tighten connector.

I can change coil on this detector blindfolded,,,it is that easy.
But remember I have changed the coil on this detector numerous times.
Coil changes here a breeze,,,I see no reason to even have extra lower rods for additional coils. Cam locks,,there are 2. They seem very high quality,,,my unit I tested,,,this unit handled previously by at least one other person,,,so the cam locks along with my use,,,(changing coils),, have had a good workout.
Rod fit--- very machine like,,,no wobbles at all,,,when a person changes coils,,they will notice clearances for mating very tight here.

Rod length adjustability--user has ability to set exactly where they want,,,no holes,,no slots,,,just slide after loosening cam lock. Can be adjusted on the fly,,for those area where the ground gets below or above your feet,,ot the terrain calls for a shorter or longer length,,,like taller grass,,stubble,etc.
Should point out upper rod,,it fits all the way in on the main stem,,,when a person changes coils,,,the upper rod,,,will slide until user hits a stop,,then fasten cam lock.

Last edited:
Here's pic showing how the coil cable exits the bottom stem. The edges of the opening here,,,very smooth feeling,,and the manufacturer here,,,even added an extra layer of protection,,,over the coil cable on lower section by coil,and lower rod.
Coil bolts seem very durable,,,they are definitely not brittle,,,I tried to bend one with my fingers,,,bolt allows for some flex.
I have experienced zero problems here.

Should mention,,smaller elliptical coil shown in pic.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the rear of detector. Notice your headphone jack,,comes with a protector. Battery door is removed,,4aa batteries. Battery door has very good fit here,,user does need to make sure it is properly snapped in place,,,don't go by your eyes here.

On off, volume knob,,,nice and smooth,,,there is a level of protection afforded it by the way a lip is made that crops over the top of it. Not full protection,,but definitely better than none.

Below is a pic of stock coil. The ears and design,,,very sturdy,,also need to say here,,,a person likely not to need a lot of coil bolt torque to keep the coil in place.
Very good design here,,as good as I have used. There are 2 washers used with coil mounting.

Coil covers,,,on both the small and stock coil I have,,,they fit perfect,,not too loose and not too tight.
I do recommend folks when removing and reinstalling their coil covers to do so with coil removed from stem. Doing so gives you better all around access.

Last edited:
Below is a pic,,taken at detector level,,to show clearance under detector.
Notice the little square looking thing,,that is the external speaker. So this is how the detector would be positioned if placed on ground without a detector stand.

Below is a pic with the manufacturers stand attached supplied to me.
I should mention here,,I don't know exactly which accessories will be supplied with what packages,,,but a stand it seems is available for those who choose.
Also should point out,,,stand legs can be folded back,,when you lift detector and start sweeping coil.

I will more than likely post some additional pics later.

So what about this detector??
Well,,I have tried to operate it in challenging sites,,full of iron and nails,,also in sites with lots of modern trash. I have tried not to get tunnel vision here,,,keeping up with how both the stock and smaller coil perform.

If I had to say,,to give quick summary on describing this detector,,,it's a cross between Xp Deus,,White's V3i, Fisher F75.
This description here though,,,it will depend on how a person sets it up to operate.

There are many ways to set up.
This detector IMO,,offers,,the beginner,,,intermediate and more experienced folks some detecting capabilities.

This detector based on my use solely,,,is a great tot lot,,modern trashy site,,sites loaded with ferrous materials, school yards and park detector.

Again in order to do all of the above,,,there are better ways IMO to set it up to operate.

Nuisance targets
Remember those screw caps,,well this detector offers some capability to identify moreso,,this here not absolute,,and I will talk about this later.
Can slaw,,again this detector offers a way to weed out most.

Separation wise,,,this detector is extremely good,,,should say 5khz not your best choice for overall better separation,,,14khz and 20khz better suited here.

Settings changes and even changing freqs using this detector very easy,,,no hum drumming around chasing menus and needed pages for settings changes.

Battery life,,I honestly can't comment on this,,here's why... When I have been using I have been changing frequencies quite often,,,and I don't know exactly how changing frequencies draws on the battery power.

Users will hear the relays working when they change freqs,,,similar to what Deus user will hear in Deus coil when changing freqs.

In my opinion,,,folks with Deus experience,,Makro Racer 1 and 2, Nokta Relic, Fisher F75 series, Fisher F70 detectors will have a leg up here when learning this detector.

Ground balance
Pumping ground balance works just like Makro Racers p,Nokta relic,,,hold trigger forward and wait for beep.
Manual ground balance though is different in one way,,,trigger cannot be held forward like Racer units to adjust,,rather push forward then release and use buttons to set value desired.

Ground tracking works nicely,,,don't take much time even when ground balance is dialed off in manual a long ways for it to lock back in to actual ground phase reading with tracking selected.

Ground balance manipualtion for those thinking it might help detect deeper,,,I see very little to no advantage here. Actually to get good performance ground balance seems is very forgiving phase setting wise.

Detector screen is very similar as far as visibility and construction as Makro Racers 1 and 2. IMO this should be at least an industry standard. This setup limits glare,,providing good view.

Detector has pinpoint switch (trigger).

External speaker
On calm days,,very ample volume to use detector is provided,,,but on windy days,,or where other ambient noise is present,,user should opt for headphones.
Be it wired or wireless.

Detector weight
This detector don't seem heavy,,,if a person based on the detectors rigidity would try and equate how much it would weigh,, they likely to guess to high.
I haven't weighed detector on any accurate scales.
I should point out,,,even with stock coil,,,detector doesn't feel as nose heavy as Xp Deus with 11" coil,,or even Makro Racers with stock coils attached.

This detector when switching freqs,,,targets in factory default setting will be normalized ,,,user has option to operate as vdi NOT normalized when changing frequencies.
What this means,,,turning off normalization means lower conductors like can slaw,,aluminum screw caps will have their spread vdi wise extended farther from higher conductive coins and jewelry. When using 5khz you have the most spread, using 14 khz the spread closes a bit ,,and at 20 kHz the gap between higher conductive coins and silver jewelry will be closer to nuisance targets like zincolns,,screw twist caps,,can slaw. Using normalization targets will read the same or more near one another vdi wise.

User if paying attention,,,with proper tone break set,,can slaw and screw caps (shallow and mid depths) will not interest user tone wise. Deeper can slaw and screw caps however do have a chance to ring in high ID wise,,thus giving higher
tone if assigned to upper ID region vdi wise.

Even zincolns here react similar to screw caps,,,very good here IMO.
I have even swept whole cans smashed laying on their sides,,,again,,they respond similar to screw caps and zincolns.

Separation
Best I've ever seen when using smaller coil.
User can find small nonferrous targets in amongst iron,,both higher and lower conductive.

For Nokta relic owners
This detector for whatever reason,,is more tame in the heavy iron and nails. Even running disc level 3,,, this detectors separates like a big dog. Dropping down lower disc wise does offer some enhances performance,,,but I Should say,,emi if present has a higher chance of creeping in.

Also,,,there is a big difference separation wise when going from level 3 disc wise,,to levels 4,5, 6 and so on. (Higher disc can compromise 3D detection of nonferrous items in amongst ferrous materials. Disc level 3 is factory setting-- probably for a good reason here.
But even at disc level 6,, in heavy iron and nails,,this thing purrs,,and a user still has some incredible separation going on.

Last edited:
Sounds interesting, thanks for posting. Don't think I'll be buying another detector in the future, but I like reading about different models. Do you know what it weighs?

Sounds interesting, thanks for posting. Don't think I'll be buying another detector in the future, but I like reading about different models. Do you know what it weighs?

I don't. I thought about taking it down to a local store and putting it on their certified scales,,but haven't yet.

Does this unit save the last mode and settings when turning off so that the same settings/programs appear upon start up?

Good question Choppa.
Unit using each mode,,a user can save settings,,,and when unit is turned off,,,these same settings will be available.
I don't want to give wrong info here,,but my unit if a setting is changed before turning off unit,,,no,,those settings are not saved.
But once a person has all their different modes set up like the want setting wise,,no big deal IMO.
Should say,,when switching modes,,freq in use carries over to next selected mode.

:wow:This unit very versatile,,,IMO after using and testing,,a user CANNOT use one time in a site with any one setup (settings) wise,,and be sure they have found all the goodies.

How good does it separate,,,a little story,,I had a target in my yard,,,I've ran every detector I've ever had with stock and smaller coils over during the last 5 plus years, Target tone and ID of all detectors and coil configurations,,said junk target.
I ran the Impact with small coil over the target and it gave a coin ID with good tone to boot.
What was the item?? a pre 82 penny at a mere 3" deep.
Jaw dropping for me.

Users operating the smaller elliptical coil in areas with loads of nails and iron,,,be particualr attentive of the smaller center ( fore to aft ) when advancing your sweep. The detection spot when unmasking crippled nonferrous targets can be super tight.

Persons using this detector due to its versatility,,having. 3 freqs,,will have to decide strategy/ settings wise on how to hunt their sites.
This detector when using the different freqs and different coils,,some depth differences will be noted,,,and target conductivity and ground minerals here will affect.
A user can find a target using one freq,,and then check it again with a different frequency.

All settings on this detector are considered shift on the fly-- the way all detectors should be made.

A user should note,,,frequency used can drive the detectors ability to separate,,with 5khz being the less performing.

I should say,,this detector by the way it operates,,,if a user will,,they can actually many times make a good educated guess as to how masked a target is,,and use this info to make their dig,,no dig decision. Good IMO for areas hunted hard by other detectorist frequently.

The use of iron volume will expose crown caps,,also should point out,,,these caps,,when the coil is slid forward or backwards signal drops out or is very compromised.
Lifting coil can help as well,,,signal will get shaky quickly.
Should also say,,Use of 5khz here don't like the caps as much vs the other freqs.

There are many modes on this detector,,,I like some better than others,,and this I think is caused by what detectors I normally run.
DI99 sounds more like Deus when using full tones,,I like that one,,,and just like the name suggests,,you have no tone breaks here when selected,,,as the detector will sound off providing a tone corresponding to targets conductivity. Remember this is in an ideal sense hear. I say this because I have had some great performance discovering finds using it in already hard hunted sites loaded with iron and nails,,meaning when the detector finds a masked nonferrous,,,tone provided can be anything,,,not ideal,,but tone nonetheless to tell you something nonferrous is there.

I have run other modes as well. And will talk about them in time.

Notching out targets,,process is not hard to do,,but some practice here will help folks.

This detector also has capability to hear rejected nonferrous targets,,if one wants to hear.

This detector is capable of having firmware updates via using Internet. (Update able)

This detector also capable of using wireless headphones.
I was provided a set,,have used them.
I did do a test to see how far I could get away from detector while wearing them to see range. I actually got over 100 ft away and could hear,,,,but should say when Inwas walking back towards detector,,at times the headphones would cut out (signal wise) from detector. This here not really practical test,,but thought I old pass along.

Audio of wireless,,seems lag is minimal,,,I should point out,,the only wireless I have used is Xp Deus wireless. I do have CTX and have never used its wireless.
I am probably not a good person here to put a lot of stock in when it comes to wireless headphone performance judging. (honesty is best policy here IMO). As far as wired headphones go,,I used Sunray Progolds exclusively and they sound good when using detector.

I have 2 sites I have spent a lot of other time in,,,rusty tin in some places,,and being such Intried to stay away from using say Deus,,,guess what?? This detector definitely like to hunt in tin better,,now I haven't used all units,,but this one here the best one I've had in places like this. Smaller coils runs extraordinary,,stock coil a tad more sparky,,,but definitely better than either of my Deus units. I did make a few finds in this tin ridden place too.

Also in a couple of hard hunted sites,,I call my testing grounds for detectors,,,I was able to make some finds,,,remember this site pounded by some good separators,,unmaskers when it comes to detectors.

Tone on some of these targets,,,definitely not textbook,,but enough tonal evidence to dig. Even small button fronts hollow at worthy depths in nails pits.

Also should point out,,,,this detector,,especially when wearing small coil,,,,and Makro Racer users will be able to relate here,,,just because a target windshields wipes when in a site loaded with iron,,,DON'T discount thinking nail or iron,,,more times than not,,,this was a nonferrous find for me. Also even the primers in centerfire cartridges and shotgun shells, pocket knives, etc,,the detector will see the steel in the primer, etc,,and try to fool you due to windshield wiper info of ID.
Bottom line,,,nonferrous targets that have mixed conductivity levels of metals,,or even have a part of them that is ferrous---Beware,,,,detector will let you know they are there,,,you just have to interpret.

Last edited:
Great review. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts. It looks like a very well designed detector.

Couple questions:

Is it waterproof? I know you said you didn't know how much it weighed but can you provide an idea based on other detectors (balance aside)? For example it looks like it weighs about the same as an ATP or maybe a tad lighter?

Great review. Looking forward to reading more of your thoughts. It looks like a very well designed detector.

Couple questions:

Is it waterproof? I know you said you didn't know how much it weighed but can you provide an idea based on other detectors (balance aside)? For example it looks like it weighs about the same as an ATP or maybe a tad lighter?

The detector is NOT waterproof,,,the coils are though.
As far weight,,I think the manufacturer rep will be saying some thing tomorrow in places about this detector.
I just compared my Makro .racer 2 with small coil,,batteries installed,,to Impact with small coil and batteries loaded,,,I think Impact feels lighter.(detector stand not mounted btw)
This is not scientific mind you.
I think the manufacturer will publish the numbers soon for all to see.
I may weigh my unit with stock coil tomorrow on certified scales just to see.

Unfortunately the impact is a detector im going to pass on, i love some of the features they have added and it sure sounds like it can hunt in mild ground.
But, Keith says in his report it's not as deep as the nokta relic in his ground, but close to an F75.
From that i read it's about the same as the Racer, which in my soil ran 3-4bars mineralization and died a death in depth performance.
I've got the new GM5+ which gives me easily 2.5inch more depth on most coins than the R2 did, and a very stable ID, with 8khz and 18khz.
For myself, hunting mainly ancient pastures, a detector has first and foremost to be able to go deep enough to reach the deep targets in my ground, all the 'bells and whistles' are secondary, because if it can't first get to the targets those 'bells and whistles' are going to be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike!
Anyways, good luck with the machine, it certainly looks the part and should do well for anyone who found the R2 a winner in their ground.

Back
Top Bottom