• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

COINSTAR mini-bonanza with SILVER

jimther

Elite Member
When we stopped at the Star Market for a few things today, I headed first toward the COINSTAR machine, but it was being used by a young lady, dumping a lot of change. Great ! I'll be the first one to check the reject slot after she leaves. 5 minutes later, she's still dumping change. Finally, after another minute, I see that it's vacant. I hot-foot it over there to see if she left anything good in the reject slot. WHOA ! The whole bottom of the slot, which is about 3" x 4" is wall to wall coins, at least two coins deep. Took a few scoops to get them all. This was the largest coin count from my COINSTAR raids so far.

When I got home, the total count was 76 coins, including a silver Rosie dime (1964), my 3rd or fourth COINSTAR silver in 2017. In February, when I first started setting aside the COINSTAR finds in a small zip-lock baggie, I told the club I belong to (MTHA) that I would report a final tally at the end of one year. Today, I had to switch to a large baggie, as the first one was already chock-full. (see photos, with today's haul and breakdown). About six more weeks to complete the first year's total.

Jim

IMG_3322.jpg

IMG_3324.JPG

IMG_3325.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the silver! I just don't understand how people could leave over $5 in the machine...but that's ok with me if they leave it there :laughing:

Taxachussettes.:lol:
You got a silver! Cool.
One time I got a slot full of coins too, they were wet, like just cleaned.
Congrats.

No tent required

Do you pitch a tent and camp out next to the Coinstar? Dang!
Not at all... just a matter of getting in the habit of checking each time you enter the market, and making darned sure you are the next person at the Coinstar when you see someone there, “doing a dump” 🤪.
Thanks for comments everyone. I’ll try to post a year-end tally and photo after February.

Slot machine

Are you sure you were not at a slot machine? Congrats!

You know Jak, it sorta felt like that ! Three of the 52 clad dimes had actually spilled out onto the floor in front of the Coinstar and I’m surprised the lady coin dumper didn’t even notice them. I picked them up but when I glanced into the reject slot, bazinga! Bonanza!

That's a really nice Coinstar haul. CONGRATS ! In 2016 I scored my biggest ever Coinstar haul and it was over $8. My second biggest is over $3. Makes you wonder how they don't figure it out that there's coins in the return.

The homeless are welcome to these

But you're cheating the homeless!

At a different market, a bit of a let-down today after the mini-bonanza the other day.

Half of these were plastic "COPY" play coins, a Chuck E Cheese token, two from the Bahamas, and finally a real US coin; a Lincoln Memorial.

Attachments

• IMG_2315.jpg
    IMG_2315.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 351
More silver today !

At the Stop & Shop today, there was only one coin in the COINSTAR reject slot, a 1962 silver Rosie dime. That makes two silver dimes this month. Glad the machine is set up to reject silver 🤓

I must be doing something wrong... I look every time I pass by one of these machines and coins found to date? Nada, zip, zero. I think the word is out and everyone is checking them now days.

Your best chance...

Your best chance of finding coins in the reject slot is immediately after someone dumps their jar and heads over to the customer service counter to cash in their Coinstar ticket. That’s why I eyeball the Coinstar as soon as I walk in the store. If no one using it, I check the slot. If someone is dumping their jar, I come back in a few minutes or on the way out of the store. Go to the Coinstar web site to see where their machines are located near you.

Jim

Back
Top Bottom