Almost had a problem with the coinstar dunp

jkbemdavis

Elite Member
I returned Box #2 to the coinstar at my bank for the dump and exchange back to cash. I had removed exactly 9 half dollar coins and knew that I should get a receipt for $495.50. Interestingly, the receipt showed that I had returned a nickel, quarter, dollar, and 967 halves for a total of 970 coins and a value of $484.80. Well I was in a hurry, but not that much of a hurry. I went to a teller and explained my dilemma. A short while later the manager on duty walked over to the machine and when he opened it he could see that the customer before me had put in a foreign coin and a piece of junk metal that had caused it to misread. A number of my halves and a few other coins were in a tray uncounted. He ran them back through and the receipt showed me at a total of $497.87. I told him that was too much but he said I was the benefactor of the coins that the machine didn't count for the other guy who had put in the junk as well. Bonus, and lesson learned. It's a good idea to know how much change you are running through or you might lose out.

The whole point is to have the coin star do the counting ! Not to walk away thinking and hoping you haven't been cheated !

The whole point is to have the coin star do the counting ! Not to walk away thinking and hoping you haven't been cheated !
Coinstar already cheats you, in most cases, with an 11% fee. I never use it. The counter at my CU is free for members. I never made an issue when I was shorted a few bucks, as I was dumping thousands (in dimes) each week and didn't want to be 'cut off' if/when I bought the occasional bag of halves.

Coinstar already cheats you, in most cases, with an 11% fee. I never use it. The counter at my CU is free for members. I never made an issue when I was shorted a few bucks, as I was dumping thousands (in dimes) each week and didn't want to be 'cut off' if/when I bought the occasional bag of halves.

Yes... my bank also has free coinstar counting privileges for customers so no Fees there. Also the guy who is in charge of it is a friend of mine, so I don't risk any trouble asking him to check the machine.

Yes... my bank also has free coinstar counting privileges for customers so no Fees there. Also the guy who is in charge of it is a friend of mine, so I don't risk any trouble asking him to check the machine.
Nice to have someone on the inside!

Back
Top Bottom