Yard sale find ????

You know the funny part is the second I saw this I thought about you. I know it’s not for ice fishing but it looks like it should be mounted in your ice scratcher. :lol:

Ha ha, yeah, I can see similarities to ice scoops. I'm sure it isn't though..

But I think its more part of a system? Like a tube with two slots for the handles, load up the tube with? And then that press fits in over it all and you mash it till everything is through a strainer, caught and collected..

Maybe for pressing honeycomb for honey????

Doesn't look super heavy duty though...

<°)))>{

It's gotta be a masher for small fruits and veggies and garlic. It's not tall enough to use in a pot " unless it's a really huge pot" for mashing potatoes. Like scratcher said , it could be a part of a multipart utensil , but , that part doesn't seem like it would fit together with another part. Masher , it must be.

I'm just amazed that no one has a positive ID on this thing yet. It must really be a rare item. I listed it on a couple FB groups with older people and no answers there either. Maybe we need a reward for a final ID. Lol

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

I think it is a strainer, vs a masher. If it was a masher I believe the handles would be at 90°, hammer grip to prevent it from rolling.

This has been a real Puzzler! Been thinking about it and keep checking in for the answer......are the wood handles a clue? Was this used to strain something hot? Placed over a certain sized receptacle with hot bees wax or something poured through it??

One would think a strainer would be deeper though, so it being some kind of specialty masher that requires a bit more effort makes more sense...where you are over top of it and pushing down with your weight? Potato mashers are vertical and with one handle..this thing did some sort of forceful mash function or something?:?: I'm baffled..

I think it is a sifter to sift the seeds out of your dried, leafy substance. Not that *I* would have any first-hand knowledge of such, of course, but if it had been found laying around the dorm room of some of my acquaintances back in the '70s, I know that's what use they would have put it to.

I still vote for a form of potato ricer/masher. Perhaps with a matching cup/bowl, like the ricers we all (should be) familiar with. Until proven otherwise.

Edit- envision a ring-type stand with groves on the sides, so you can rock it back-and-forth, rather than relying on hand pressure like the scissor-type models.

This guy might know

Seen it all

Attachments

• mike wolfe.jpg
    mike wolfe.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 372
American Pickers

I recently sent the Pickers an email with an explanation and pictures.

Waiting to see if I get a response!!

I will post if i get any info.

Thank you for the research and comments.

Tom

I recently sent the Pickers an email with an explanation and pictures.

Waiting to see if I get a response!!

I will post if i get any info.

Thank you for the research and comments.

Tom
Please let us know what you find out. This has been a great challenge.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

All I can add to this mystery is that resistance welding was developed circa 1880-1900, so it can't be any older than that. I can't believe this thing hasn't been identified yet. It can't be for any type of hard or heavy work, it's too flimsy. Maybe it has two handles because whatever it is used for requires more stability/control/finesse?

All I can add to this mystery is that resistance welding was developed circa 1880-1900, so it can't be any older than that. I can't believe this thing hasn't been identified yet. It can't be for any type of hard or heavy work, it's too flimsy. Maybe it has two handles because whatever it is used for requires more stability/control/finesse?

Good post on the spot welds..

Agreed... Something for cooking or similar, not found in areas reserved for man stuff (work shop, garage) lol...

<°)))>{

Back
Top Bottom