Bullet-like but awfully big

pplinker

Forum Supporter
Found this in a modern yard. It looks to be copper clad with some kind of iron inside because it is attracted to a magnet. It is 2.25 long and one half inch thick. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• DSC00245.JPG
    DSC00245.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 564
  • DSC00246.JPG
    DSC00246.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 541
If it is 1/2" wide, it is a .50 cal. bullet with a steel core rather than copper-sheathed lead. The .50 cal. is not your usual hunting rifle, for sure. For one thing, the beast weighs too much to be carrying for any distance, and second - it makes a really big hole in whatever you are shooting at. Plus the gun would cost you probably $5000 minimum and even the cheapest bullets cost over $5.00 each, so you can't do much target shooting.

If it is 1/2" wide, it is a .50 cal. bullet with a steel core rather than copper-sheathed lead. The .50 cal. is not your usual hunting rifle, for sure. For one thing, the beast weighs too much to be carrying for any distance, and second - it makes a really big hole in whatever you are shooting at. Plus the gun would cost you probably $5000 minimum and even the cheapest bullets cost over $5.00 each, so you can't do much target shooting.

Cost of 50 cal rifle = 5,000...wow. The guy who used to live there once sold us his .22 so he could get some booze. Hope he didn't have a 50 cal stashed away. He probably got the shell as a souvenir of some type.

Thanks for the ID on this, all who ID'd it, thanks for the help.

Probably a .50 BMG military round ?? Interesting to se a fired one, I've had surplus live rounds

Probably a .50 BMG military round ?? Interesting to se a fired one, I've had surplus live rounds

When it was fired it seems like it would have been smashed to smithereens, but it is only a little bent. Must have fired into something soft.

It is fired: the rifling marking is on the side. It probably traveled a long distance and did not have much speed when it hit something.
That something that it hit was probably just the soft ground where you found it.

Cost of 50 cal rifle = 5,000...wow. The guy who used to live there once sold us his .22 so he could get some booze. Hope he didn't have a 50 cal stashed away. He probably got the shell as a souvenir of some type.

Thanks for the ID on this, all who ID'd it, thanks for the help.

5k for a .50 is the lower end of things. Barrett makes a .50Cal that goes for 13-17k. Weighs about 34 pounds, and it costs about $12 a round to fire. It makes Danny Vermin's .88 Magnum in "Johnny Dangerously" look like the Red Ryder BB gun from "A Christmas Story".

I hate how deceiving photos can be. When I mentally turn the bullet 90 degrees, it looks much more like .30 caliber than .50, but the length is dead on for a .50. I think some of the rust you are seeing is from a bi-metal jacket (copper over steel) but could very well be steel core as well.

When it was fired it seems like it would have been smashed to smithereens, but it is only a little bent. Must have fired into something soft.

50 cals do not smash easily. They are steel core for armor piercing. MOST are like his since it is attracted to a magnet. I would guess like all the ones that I have found that it was fired from an airplane. However that is speculative.

I have never found a damaged one yet and I am sure I have over 50 of the critters.

It for sure is a 50 cal

50 cals do not smash easily. They are steel core for armor piercing. MOST are like his since it is attracted to a magnet. I would guess like all the ones that I have found that it was fired from an airplane. However that is speculative.

I have never found a damaged one yet and I am sure I have over 50 of the critters.

It for sure is a 50 cal

Wow, thank you for this information.

Found this in a modern yard. It looks to be copper clad with some kind of iron inside because it is attracted to a magnet. It is 2.25 long and one half inch thick. Thanks for any help.

Do you live near an airport? Or was there an air-force base near you at one point? Looks like a 50cal ball ammo most likely target practice from an aircraft. Its got to be from WWII. During the war live ammo exercises were conducted all over the US. I know of a spot in New England and I have found literally hundreds of them.

Attachments

• IMG_8926.JPG
    IMG_8926.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 234
I have a 50 caliber . Great hunting rifle. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $5,000.:D

Attachments

• 20171221_092027.jpg
    20171221_092027.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 227
I have a 50 caliber . Great hunting rifle. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm pretty sure it was less than $5,000.:D

For sure a black powder. For a 50 cal BMG you are looking at over 5.00 EACH bullet. I have three live ones from before WW2 I found in a lake. Not going to stuff one of these in your rifle!!

50 Cal, 30-06, 45 Cal, 357, 22 Cal

Back
Top Bottom