how to scare a deer away from you

Some slow days along the river lol.. Get in the rushes a little, be quiet... Wait some one else will push em toward you.. Then they walk up thinking they are alone, then, boo!

:lol:

Even when the fishing was horrible, I've still been known to find some way to have fun..

<°)))>{

Some slow days along the river lol.. Get in the rushes a little, be quiet... Wait some one else will push em toward you.. Then they walk up thinking they are alone, then, boo!

:lol:

Even when the fishing was horrible, I've still been known to find some way to have fun..

<°)))>{

I grew up in Michigan and had lots of fun as well but man you should see these city deer!:lol: They don’t know what to think of a human coming after them in the parks. Heck my 8 year old son sneaks up on them!

It isn't the doe you have to worry about, it's the big ole buck who sees you as a threat to his doe. A few years back I was walking past a small herd of doe when out from the back a good size buck came out and followed me to make sure I kept going.

It isn't the doe you have to worry about, it's the big ole buck who sees you as a threat to his doe. A few years back I was walking past a small herd of doe when out from the back a good size buck came out and followed me to make sure I kept going.

I think there is another word for that :lol:

Sadly for humans, deer are considerably faster than us, and pound for pound - pack quite a wollop. Caution is always the better part of valor. I would rather not be in melee range with a wild animal. I would rather shoot it. You don't need a doe tag when it is self-defense.

I have never run into a deer in the wild. Bears, yes. Cows, yes. Coyotes, yes. Meth heads, yes. Deer, not so much.

I agree with you, but not everyone on this forum lives in a free state (or nation) where they can legally carry a firearm. Fortunately, I live in a free state. :grin: :gunbandanna:

Deer can not always identify you as a predator unless they can smell you. That is why they stomp and snort trying to get you to move so they can identify you

Yesterday I was deer hunting and had a deer within 40 yards. It could not decide what I was and even after catching me move it hung around and watched me for quite a few minutes. It finally decided that maybe it would be safer in a different area.

Two Doe did accept my invitation to come in out of the cold and head south where it is warmer.

Deer can not always identify you as a predator unless they can smell you. That is why they stomp and snort trying to get you to move so they can identify you

Yesterday I was deer hunting and had a deer within 40 yards. It could not decide what I was and even after catching me move it hung around and watched me for quite a few minutes. It finally decided that maybe it would be safer in a different area.

Two Doe did accept my invitation to come in out of the cold and head south where it is warmer.

Haha sneaky way to say you got some meat for the freezer. Congrats!

LOL.....don't think I'd want to make myself too "vulnerable" digging targets during rutting season :shock: :laughing:

...I have seen does beat up people in videos but I didn’t see the person throw a right hook in one of those videos.. I’ve been in the woods all seasons of the year all my life and never been worried about deer. Me and the kids try and see how close we can get to them on public grounds. If you need to scare them away the easiest way would be to have your man pants on and walk towards them.

A buddy of mine was an army ranger...a top-shelf special ops guy. He and a friend decided to go deer hunting using only their bayonets and their ranger skills. They hid along a heavily used deer trail and waited. Neither of them knew much about deer anatomy, so when they attacked, one lost his bayonet inside the deer, and the other one got a hoof print stamped into his chest and a couple cracked ribs. :laughing: The base doc had a good laugh, but my buddy had to shell out some cash for a new bayonet...and no venison to show for it.

A buddy of mine was an army ranger...a top-shelf special ops guy. He and a friend decided to go deer hunting using only their bayonets and their ranger skills. They hid along a heavily used deer trail and waited. Neither of them knew much about deer anatomy, so when they attacked, one lost his bayonet inside the deer, and the other one got a hoof print stamped into his chest and a couple cracked ribs. :laughing: The base doc had a good laugh, but my buddy had to shell out some cash for a new bayonet...and no venison to show for it.

Sounds like a dude I wanna hunt with! You only live once, skin and bones heal but that story will last a life time. Lol

Apparently, they can smell the meat eaters or carnivores, I've read some hardcore hunters, go vegetarian for a week or so prior their hunt. I never got that extreme.

go the air horn and went on a trial

I do a lot of metal detecting in north Atlanta. Yes it is mostly neighborhoods but I metal detect in some areas with 300 acres of woods. When i come upon some big does most of the time they just stare at me. Some are quite large. If I go closer than about 20 yards towards them they start pawing the ground or stomping their fore feet. Of course I always retreat and try to hit that area another day. But there is one possible cellar hole that they are always near.

any suggestions on how to get them to run off will be appreciated. They are not afraid of humans because nobody has hunted these woods in 40 years since it is surrounded by neighborhoods.

Another reason I am afraid of them one of the does attacked my son's dog a field springer spaniel and stomped on him. my son just reacted instinctively and ran straight toward the big doe yelling and screaming and waving his arms and the doe finally stopped an ran away about 20 yards. Fortunately the dog was not seriously injured.

Figured the air horn was a good idea to try. Went to Dick's sporting goods store and bought the small $9.99 air horn. Walked back out where I always see lots of dear and wandered around for about an hour and didn't see a single dear. Didn't even have to bring the air horn out of my find bag. So it seems to do a great job of keeping the dear away. Go figure, this is the truth.

Figured the air horn was a good idea to try. Went to Dick's sporting goods store and bought the small $9.99 air horn. Walked back out where I always see lots of dear and wandered around for about an hour and didn't see a single dear. Didn't even have to bring the air horn out of my find bag. So it seems to do a great job of keeping the dear away. Go figure, this is the truth.

:lol: ......maybe they sensed what you were up to and stayed out of sight :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom