• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Texas Weather, Texas Soil, What's in Your Kit?

Truik

I just ordered a Garrett AT Pro (my first metal detector) and I'm now considering what kind of gear I need along with it. I'm in the Dallas area and was curious which items you find helpful to have and the best place to get them. Pinpointing detector tools, digging tools, sifting scoops, shovels, special gloves...I've seen so much "specialized" gear and was wondering what was really beneficial and essential to all of you, especially those in areas with the same type of soil situations we have here in North Texas.

Thanks in advance!

I just ordered a Garrett AT Pro (my first metal detector) and I'm now considering what kind of gear I need along with it. I'm in the Dallas area and was curious which items you find helpful to have and the best place to get them. Pinpointing detector tools, digging tools, sifting scoops, shovels, special gloves...I've seen so much "specialized" gear and was wondering what was really beneficial and essential to all of you, especially those in areas with the same type of soil situations we have here in North Texas.

Thanks in advance!

I depend on these here in North Texas:

1. A good pinpointer. The dark clay soil here camoflage targets very intensely here.

2. A well built shovel. Mine is a Sampson 31". Again, this soil here is tough as heck with a hand digger, and you actually tear-up holes much worse with a hand digger. I give credit to all who stick by hand diggers and screw drivers and such. No Dallas Texas clay is HARD! I'll shovel.

3. A treasure/trash bag. Don't leave trash.

I live and die with my shovel but do pack a Lesche digger in the car for well maintained property, especially private property.

Other than the 3 mentioned items, I really don't require any extra accessories. Gloves? Nope. In my 7 years...I've not been cut up even once. You gotta remember though that I don't gouge in an open hole with a hand digger and scoop dirt with my hands. That's my shovel's attribute.

Where to buy this stuff? Internet sponsors 99% of the time.

A rag to put your dug dirt on since the Texas clay doesn't stay together and plugs just crumble. This makes it easier to not make a mess. The private property owners will note the care you take on your digs.
A good pinpointer is key, the coins do stain to match the soil color. It is worth the money and will save you time on you hunts.

I live in Waco so I deal with the same thing. Whites TRX use tip detection so get this one. carrot will just yell at the Hole and you dont know where your target is. Leshe Heavy Weight Mini Pick with a Slight bend for real hard ground. Leshe shovel for easy digging.

Get a Gravedigger Nemisis (shovel). I use gloves because sometimes there is glass in the holes. Pinpointer is a must. Whites hand digger is the hand digger I prefer. It's longer and wider than a Lesche. The Whites find bag is nice too. It has a mesh bottom and is rugged, it also has compartments for storing extra gear or utensils.

Back
Top Bottom