• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Best sand scoop?

Stiffwrists

Elite Member
Being in utah, I'm not near any sandy salt water beaches, but we have reservoirs that have kinda sandy soil or soft mucky bottoms. What would be the best scoop to buy? I'm thinking I would hit the beaches and wade out to waist deep or so. I've never done it before, but those reservoirs have seen a lot of traffic over the years. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, what is the best clothing to wear? Shoes etc.

Being in utah, I'm not near any sandy salt water beaches, but we have reservoirs that have kinda sandy soil or soft mucky bottoms. What would be the best scoop to buy? I'm thinking I would hit the beaches and wade out to waist deep or so. I've never done it before, but those reservoirs have seen a lot of traffic over the years. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, what is the best clothing to wear? Shoes etc.

Take a look here at your options and prices...

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=232849

I took a trip to Florida recently and hauled a detector with me to beach hunt. I went to the Kellyco store in Orlando to buy a sand scoop and was a little surprised at how expensive they are. The locals down there all seem to prefer the long handle models that they can use their foot with and never have to bend down. I've seen a few videos and post about some DIY models that may be worth the effort. It was nice to just scoop and shake vs digging holes. Not sure what your soil type is like, but mud or rocky lake and creek bottoms can be really hard to detect. Not sure a screened type scoop would be better or not compared to a shovel type scoop. Maybe one with a mesh/screened bottom that would allow you to "swish" the mud away under water will work well, depending on the soil/rocks etc.

Back
Top Bottom