Delaware Canal Towpath Trails (Bucks County, PA)

JoeSilver

Hi everyone, new poster here!

I live in Bucks County, near New Hope and the 59-mile-long towpath trail that extends from Easton PA all the way down to Bristol PA.

Has anyone had any recent experience metal detecting along any portion of this towpath?

Second, it is difficult to tell from whom I would need permission to detect the towpath itself, and the property right alongside the towpath.

It would appear that the path itself is owned by the Commonwealth of PA as a "State Park," but it was also designated a National Historic Landmark. Also, some land alongside the towpath abuts private property, some abuts town land, and some even abuts national parks (such as Washington Crossing).

Attachments

• DE-Canal-map-2015.jpg
    DE-Canal-map-2015.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,010
  • Canal-Walk-2014-2.jpg
    Canal-Walk-2014-2.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 930
Here's the link for PA Parks: http://www.dcnr.pa.gov/StateParks/RulesAndRegulations/MetalDetecting/Pages/default.aspx

It's usually not hard to determine whether a particular jurisdiction disallows metal detecting or not. First find out who owns the land in question, then look up their rules. If it's not reasonably easy to locate their rules online, they aren't serious about making their rules known - then search away until told otherwise by someone of authority.

GL & HH

I don't get it. Who gave all those people , in your pix, permission to walk there ? Why is md'ing so evil that it "needs permission" any more so than them ? :?:

It seems like once land is deeded to the public trust through a Parks Department, the state officials suddenly act that they own the land and can keep the public from using it!!

It seems like once land is deeded to the public trust through a Parks Department, the state officials suddenly act that they own the land and can keep the public from using it!!

those people walking there, in the picture, seemed like they were "using it" just fine. I do not consider the act of md'ing to be any less innocuous, and is equally as harmless :thumbsup:

Hikers,bikers,joggers,campers,boaters,fisherman,golfers,swimmers,hunters,etc. all use public lands.All cost everyone,including us,to provide trails,campgrounds,docks,lifeguards,wardens,signs,land,infrastructure.Our hobby is the only one that costs others nothing.We surely benefit from the other sports/hobbies existence,but are not the primary benefactors of any public investment.There are no detecting parks set aside for us.Quite the opposite.No one stocks the parks with coins,yet we support trout stocking with our tax $$.My point is,feel free to enjoy public lands as much as everyone else,without the paranoia.
I live in NJ and have been physically attacked,had a dog sicced on me,the cops called,been stopped and frisked,questioned and generally harassed a lot.I'm tired of apologizing for some idiot that didn't fill a hole 30 years ago while I dig up and bag garbage I find under and above ground.My favorite hunting grounds are curb strips and my local parks.Both are fair game to dogs and invasive geese,but our presence is questioned?
I don't beg,I don't apologize for being a MDer.I hunt where it's allowed.And I know where that is,unlike the "experts" that I encounter.It is important that MDers promote our hobby by being assertive when it comes to our rights to enjoy the public lands we all support.No one is policing the invasive Canadian geese or irresponsible dog walkers that foul my hunting spotsGet up,stand up.I prefer to dig the easy target,not be the easy target.

....feel free to enjoy public lands as much as everyone else,without the paranoia....

Good post. And I notice from your post that you are not inferring that you've never been hassled. Eg.: Someone doesn't like it. But the fact that not everyone likes it, does not mean you grovel for "permission" or worry yourself silly waiting for every last archie to love & adore you.

As for the "hole 30 yrs. ago": If/when I ever hear that , as the supposed reason for a current "scram", I'm not so quick to assume this is true. I'll bet that someone simply saw a man digging a target (or ... heck, even simply swinging). And they simply ASSUME "he's about to leave a hole" . Simply because it's the mental connotation when someone sees a man with a detector. It does necessarily mean any holes were ever left by anyone.

So when I hear "No/scram because of holes", I bet that's only the "go-to" reason, to justify what they just said. And ... even if they never even SAW a detector there before (you are the first one), they will usually STILL say "no because of holes". Simply because they believe that's the outcome.

And since we cover our holes and will leave no trace, then this does not apply to me. If someone still continues to think it does : Fine, I will detect when they are not present. Problem solved :roll:

Back
Top Bottom