Deus audio-can all facets of it be trusted?

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
Yes and no.

What am I talking about here?

Will all nonferrous targets yield decent to good tone?

Nope

A little experience I had yesterday using Deus and round 9" HF coil to share.

I was in one of my extremely hard hunted sites yesterday, a site I think is fair to say is more or less "ideally" exhausted of nonferrous finds.
Based on my previous hunting using using other great detectors, including Dues using LF coils.
As well as using Deus and HF coils.
Disclaimer: Only used HF coils running full tones and either -1 or 0 levels of disc.

So, what about the disc setting on Deus?
It is very minutely adjustable with digital readout.

So I tried to run some disc in the site yesterday, just enough disc to thwart the smaller bits of ferrous.
I came up with a level 3 setting of disc.
Yes the bigger iron would sneak through tonally.
And most of this iron a person can still tell it is ferrous due to audio behavior/sound.

So as I was sweeping yesterday I am listening.
I get this signal, extremely low sounding.
The only thing I liked about this signal is its reporting on its edges, meaning it came in smooth and left smooth as coil,was swept.
But based on pitch of tone, I would have rated as < 5 percent chance of being nonferrous based on all my hunting with Deus using all the coils I have used in the past while running 0 disc and running full tones, as well as using 9" and 11" LF coils using full tones and disc levels of 2-3.

After locating this suspect target, using pinpoint reflected a wavering pinpoint as the coil was moved around area of suspect area, with louder tone provided in this one spot with lower tones provided over what seems like another metal object adjacent to the exact suspect spot on the ground.

So I dug and sure enough one of those old flat buttons.
And further examination revealed a half of a nail adjacent and above the ground plane of flat button.

This particular target is the lowest sounding (tone wise) target that I have ever dug using Deus that was in fact nonferrous.
But keep in mind, my use of using some disc (above zero setting) is very limted using HF coils while running full tones.

I have done the above quite often using using the 9" and 11" LF coils and have been successful previously even in the this same site.

The HF coils, both of them do offer some additional 3D unmasking depending on the detecting scenario,.

I was wearing full headphones and no wind yesterday.

So, using some disc can turn the Deus into a bird dog of sorts.
Would a person get fooled ever?
Certainly.

Thought I would share this info though.

Yes the Deus audio is very good overall, but it shouldn't be trusted all the time (all facets) of it.

And using some disc can up your odds for taking a stab at a suspect target.

A target that could be your find of a life time.

1p79cn.jpg

reminds me of the 1700s site I'm on where the buttons come in real low got a pewter button today and it was low tone wise ,I mean very low.

Full Tones, Pitch or Multi-tones

Were you using Full Tones with some disc or Pitch or Multi-Tones?

Were you using Full Tones with some disc or Pitch or Multi-Tones?

Multi tones.

Basically what happens a lot of times, using full tones zero disc everything under the coil makes noise.
And tonal transition form nail to nonferrous or vice versa gets snagged in audio reporting.
Plus you have more data (audio to decipher).

Running some disc, not too much, gets rid of the tinier bits, less signal to pick and choose from.
So, when you do get a signal, a user goes through their go no go process for further investigating.
Any signal in an already proven to be good site in the past,,,questionable signals need higher precedence placed on them.
A good way to make a few additional finds out of a ferrous ridden site.

Works for LF coils, and the HF coils.
HF coils though seem can keep the audio slightly up above hard iron fault tone wise on highe challenged targets vs LF coils.

Some guides here I recommend for disc setting using full tones.
9" LF coil try to run 2-2.5
11" LF coil try to run 2.5-3.0
9" HF coil try to run 2.5-3.5
HF elliptical try to run 3-4

Remember going too high on the disc, a user starts negatively affecting separation and especially unmasking in the 3d plane.

Now, using HF coils, the ferrous can ping a little hotter (higher tone) vs LF coils.
Some folks recommend adjusting silencer up to higher levels than -1 like 0 or 1.
Especially using elliptical hf coil.
This will work.
I like to run the disc up to levels stated above.

New users of Deus wanting to advance their use quick when hunting nail ridden old sites with little to no modern trash.
Build you 2 programs adjacent, one with 0 disc using full tones, and one with disc level set (per suggestions above based on coil used.

And compare any and all questionable signals.
A user does this for a while, will definitely show them how each setup works, sounds, and advantages/disadvantages.
Make you a better user of Deus.
It did me, I think.

And proper Deus use in ferrous pits, a user will dig some iron.
If one is not.
They need to keep at it.
Listen close.
When you are pushing Deus to the limits squezzing out all of its potential, some iron will be dug.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom