Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > Stories and Pictures of Finds

Old 02-21-2020, 11:25 AM
Elite Member

Default Rainy day finds

I couldn't get out today because of the rain so I decided to tumble some crusty Wheaties and clean some old rings I found sometime back. In my Wheaties I found the IH penny and cleaning the old rings I uncovered "Sterling" stamped on all 3, so it was a fun rainy day after all.
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2020, 11:30 AM

There is just something satisfying about tumbling coins. Watching the details appear as you rinse off the much after a few hours of tumbling is truly enjoyable.

Old 02-21-2020, 11:47 AM
Elite Member

How do you tumble coins?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2020, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by DbblTap View post
How do you tumble coins?

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk
I purchased a rock tumbler and 1lb of stainless steel tumbling media I can re-use. I wait until I have enough coins then I tumble them for a few hours to clean them up. This is great to prepare them for turn in as the machine at my bank accepts 99% of my tumbled coins.

Don't mix pennies / copper and other coins as the copper will stain the others. And do not tumble and high content silver or other valuable coins. It's only for coins I intend to turn in.

I I find an old wheat penny or other non-clad type of coin I prefer electrolysis to tumbling to clean them, and carefully consider the numismatic value of a coin before cleaning it in any way.

Old 02-22-2020, 05:12 AM
Elite Member

Default Good information

Originally Posted by Splix76 View post
I purchased a rock tumbler and 1lb of stainless steel tumbling media I can re-use. I wait until I have enough coins then I tumble them for a few hours to clean them up. This is great to prepare them for turn in as the machine at my bank accepts 99% of my tumbled coins.

Don't mix pennies / copper and other coins as the copper will stain the others. And do not tumble and high content silver or other valuable coins. It's only for coins I intend to turn in.

I I find an old wheat penny or other non-clad type of coin I prefer electrolysis to tumbling to clean them, and carefully consider the numismatic value of a coin before cleaning it in any way.
You have it right when it comes to the rock tumbler. Clean clad coins just to get the crud off and I clean Wheaties by themselves with no media and just dish soap for an hour. Never silver coins. Thanks for the good info.