Last couple o' hunts

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Haven't had much to report this month but wanted to share a little bit of irony or maybe some karma with you. Presidents day I went to an old city park hoping to find something old. My last trip there was the last time I had got out was 8 days before and only netted one 1920 wheat a clad dime and quarter. Monday didn't start out much better, a bunch of memorials and a small clad spill. Headed for a different area of the park I was swinging while crossing a very trashy field when I got a screamer 34-35 on the 800. A half maybe, no it was a White House Washington D.C. gold plated tag/fob. Well at least its something related on Presidents day. I was hoping for a silver GW. A little further on I get a nice deep sweet high tone, from 8in + out comes a nice 1914 Wheatie. Close by another high tone produces a pretty nice 1917D wheat. As it was starting to get dark I decided to finish in that area. A scratchy 26-27 gave up a beautiful 36 Merc. After 10 hunts my silver slump was broke.

Wednesday I went back to the lot next to my old promising permission. First hour or so, along with a lot of rusty iron I had dug a small car, an Atlantic City thimble, a cub scout pin and a little clad. The owner came out to talk, ask if I had found anything good, I showed him what I had and ask if he wanted anything, he declined and said I told you keep what you find. At this point I ask him if he had any relations in the civil war. He said no and ask why. I told him I had found two civil war buttons. We chatted on for a while. Now the conversation turned to the Revolutionary War and the documentary on George Washington that had aired the last three nights on the History channel. How good it was and how little we knew of the sacrifices that were made in those trying times. Ok if your still with me, heres the karma. Almost dark, 45 cents in clad, one wheatie a pretty cool mixed bag hunt, no shiny and I'm swingin for the truck and a I get a 25-25, deeper but not too deep out pops a quarter sized disc. Crusted and somewhat concave I thought it a button and headed home On clean up I realized it was a token, a George Washington token ! Awesome ! After talking to the owner about GW and I dig a G W token for my last find of the day. Huh ? And close to Presidents Day no less. One more thing, the owner. His last name, three syllables starting with W, first name, yep George. Makes you wonder. HH Mark

ps. Only info I could find on the token was that they were mfd. early in the last century by the Scovill Button Co.

Attachments

• 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 366
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 367
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 376
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 370
Haven't had much to report this month but wanted to share a little bit of irony or maybe some karma with you. Presidents day I went to an old city park hoping to find something old. My last trip there was the last time I had got out was 8 days before...……....

That looks like some fine digs to me. Good photos, too. The thimble and token are looking good. It must be hard coming down from that hot streak!

Man that’s a great read Mark! Congrats on the silver, and the cool token! I think I found an Andrew Jackson one of those a couple years ago. Great read and great finds, thanks and congrats!

That looks like some fine digs to me. Good photos, too. The thimble and token are looking good. It must be hard coming down from that hot streak!

TS Thank you and yes still looking and hoping for that next good permission. I guess we should be grateful for the fact that we are still able to hunt in Feb. HH Mark

Man that’s a great read Mark! Congrats on the silver, and the cool token! I think I found an Andrew Jackson one of those a couple years ago. Great read and great finds, thanks and congrats!

GS appreciate the kind words. Did you post yours ? I had seen a couple posted in the past. A presidential token had been on my list but timing seemed a little odd to me. Just a couple houses over and a couple weeks back I dug the GW story medal. Huh ? HH Mark

Excellent finds Mark, love the relics! Congrats!

Jeff thanks, hoping to find a spot similar to the one your hunting right now. lol. HH Mark

Bob Cats

That's a cool story about the GW token. Congrats on the finds. What is the watch fob from or any info on it?

Interesting story and nice bunch of finds. I noticed your Bob Cat pin and I found one just like it here in Georgia:shock:

Attachments

• IMG_E3838.jpg
    IMG_E3838.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 337
Mark, congrats on the silver and all the other finds! It looks like you tapped into some old dirt with those interesting finds, especially with those two wheaties in the teens.

Fun story thanks for sharing. You got some nice finds and interesting chit chat with that land owner. I second what jamflicker asked, that fob caught my eye. Any details available on that thing?

Breaking the drought was a big deal Mark but the story here is the story. It's a great one. Congrats on the Merc the Token and all the rest. Looking forward to seeing a lot more from you as I still pray here for a miracle thaw. Trapper

That's a cool story about the GW token. Congrats on the finds. What is the watch fob from or any info on it?

Jason thank you. I have had a bunch of cool finds so far this year. The fob says SAFETY at the top so I'm guessing some type of award. Also wondering if inset is silver. Gonna clean it up, not much to lose. HH Mark

Interesting story and nice bunch of finds. I noticed your Bob Cat pin and I found one just like it here in Georgia:shock:

Jim thanks. I get a kick out of finding B S memorabilia also. HH Mark

That's funny, the White House...Made in Taiwan :roll:

Right, I was thinking the same thing, Made in Taiwan, meddled in by Russia. lol HH Mark

Mark, congrats on the silver and all the other finds! It looks like you tapped into some old dirt with those interesting finds, especially with those two wheaties in the teens.

John thanks, both places have potential. Went back yesterday to the field where I got the Merc and old wheats. No shiny but 6 more Wheaties, 2 from the 50s (red cents) 2 old slick green ones and a 1916 &1918. So now I have a 14-16-17-18 & from a hillside about 30 yrds away I dug a 1920 a week or so back. Trying for a set. haha. HH Mark
Nice finds and cool story to go with them!

vb thank you, seems a lot of GW stuff going on lately. Now only if I could dig a silver G W . lol HH Mark

Fun story thanks for sharing. You got some nice finds and interesting chit chat with that land owner. I second what jamflicker asked, that fob caught my eye. Any details available on that thing?

Thank you and you are welcome sir, it seems there are some quirky coincidences in this hobby that gets you to scratchin' your head sometimes. As far as the fob, probably an old safety award of some sort. A lot of fancy on it. I am going to try to clean it up. Also wonder what was tacked to the inset and if I missed it in the hole. HH Mark

Breaking the drought was a big deal Mark but the story here is the story. It's a great one. Congrats on the Merc the Token and all the rest. Looking forward to seeing a lot more from you as I still pray here for a miracle thaw. Trapper

Trapper thank you. And yes, although only one, the Merc was a sweet site to behold. After 8 or 10 hunts without you start asking yourself, what am I doing wrong ? Answer, nothing. Just not getting over any silver. Truth is, after having a hot streak I have been spoiled and get frustrated when I'm not finding silver. Maybe a dose of humility and patience will bring me back to reality. lol Glad you enjoyed the story. I have not shared it with owner yet.
Hopefully your thaw will come early due to the fact most of the country has had a milder than usual winter. And I have no doubt you will be out with guns a blazin'. Take care, Mark

Awesome hunt! About a month ago I dug a James Garfield memorial token from that same series! Its really nice too. If i ever figure out how to download pictures i will send one of it! HH and good luck!

Awesome hunt! About a month ago I dug a James Garfield memorial token from that same series! Its really nice too. If i ever figure out how to download pictures i will send one of it! HH and good luck!

Rich thank you and congrats on your find as well. Those old presidential tokens are a cool find. Are you familiar with the story on Garfield and the metal detector ? I have only found one dollar coin and that was a Garfield. HH Mark

I wonder the same thing when I dig a pocket watch case and wonder if the rest of it is hiding near by.

Me too I always wonder if I looked hard enough for the rest of it. In the case of that token I did not realize there could've been more. HH Mark

Rich thank you and congrats on your find as well. Those old presidential tokens are a cool find. Are you familiar with the story on Garfield and the metal detector ? I have only found one dollar coin and that was a Garfield. HH Mark

Me too I always wonder if I looked hard enough for the rest of it. In the case of that token I did not realize there could've been more. HH Mark

I have not heard that story, but im gonna be looking it up here real soon. You have caught my interest!!

Back
Top Bottom