Missed an Eyeball Find...But the Detector Didn’t!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I was out hunting one of my worn-out farm fields - stuff doesn’t come out of the ground at the rate it used to anymore, but it still produces an interesting find or two on most visits. This particular visit was starting to look like a near skunking - all I had of note in the pouch was a small, unidentifiable decorative piece that I spotted on the surface. It rang up almost like a nickel when I ran the detector over it, but it cheated slightly too high on the VDI to be one (12-13, with occasional blips up to 14 on the Equinox - my experience has shown that if the target shows anything outside of 12-13, it’s not a nickel)

4F025052-6720-4F72-85AE-C181DC4D153F.jpg

But after an hour and a half or so of almost no tones higher than a 10 on the Equinox’s VDI scale, I suddenly got blasted by a solid 27 - and I mean blow your ears off, stop you in your tracks, no doubt about it, “that’s a coin” kind of signal! So much so, I didn’t even bother swinging the coil over it more than maybe 1 and 1/2 complete sweeps before dropping to one knee to check it out. The sound and the display indicated it was at or near the surface, and as I bent down, I saw a round shape sticking out of the dirt...nope, that’s a rock. Then once down on my knee, I saw another distinct shape barely sticking out of the ground next to the rock - this one was clearly coin shaped, and had a reeded edge!! :cool3:

DA825B9C-A06B-46C2-92ED-FD92D31DC544.jpg

A 1901 Barber dime, just enough out of the ground to be a potential eyeball find, but almost perfectly camouflaged...no way I would have noticed it without the detector’s sound off! In my original pic, you can actually clearly read the date on the edge sticking out of the ground! (Not sure how it’ll look in the compressed, uploaded version, above.)

EF92EF19-25DA-4342-9F46-FA86C11A6FBE.jpg

26EA1223-BFE7-48CE-A71D-3D24B811F7CB.jpg

I’ve been lucky enough to eyeball other old coins in farm fields in the past - a couple or three IHPs that stood out well thanks to their green patina against the brown dirt, a Buffalo nickel that also contrasted green against the dirt because of its copper content, and even a silver war nickel that was easy only because it was laying flat on the field like it was dropped yesterday. But this one? I probably would have walked right past it and never spotted it without the detector. And to top it off, clean up revealed the O mint mark on the back - my first coin from the New Orleans mint! That worn out field just keeps on giving!

Attachments

• 462AD754-AD4D-460B-9D23-7121E8EB0280.jpg
    462AD754-AD4D-460B-9D23-7121E8EB0280.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 499
  • 12963455-A6D4-497A-856F-19E202381C0F.jpg
    12963455-A6D4-497A-856F-19E202381C0F.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 456
Here’s a blow up of the original photo of the Barber in the dirt with the date much more readable - just thought it was pretty cool how the date happened to be perfectly sticking out of the dirt!

7D566764-9A8D-4823-8D8A-D4FAE1B0AFF7.jpg

Congrats on the Barber Ben, nice save. What was that in the first pic ? Fyi, I have had Buffs and Vs go as low as 9 and clad or war's go as high as 15. So lately I have been pretty much digging anything that shows an 11-12-13 in the signal, and I've been killing on nickels and yeah pulltabs or parts of but they also could be a ring or gold coin. 80 in my last 22 outings. Just something to think about. Take care Mark

Nice job on your O mint mark. Glad you're still able to be out in your fields. Mine do not have crops in them but the weeds are overgrown so much I cannot swing.

Ben, congrats on the 1901 Barber dime! I'd love to uncover a coin like that one. :grin: Great find!

Very cool find! I'm glad you took pics for us. You're doing some good field work this year. Swing on!

Markinswpa is right about the nickel exceptions to the 12-13 rule.

That sensation will stick with you for a long time.

Your subconscious helped you find that coin.

Congrats on the Barber ! As Tom_in _CA would say " good in situ photos ".

Thanks, SS! Glad you enjoyed the pics! I probably should put some of the “in-situ” shots on a separate server to preserve all the detail...the originals really have much more detail than the compressed versions that I need to use for the uploads to work.

Thanks for the great write-up, quite a nice coin, well done :)

Thanks sandgroper - I appreciate you taking a look :)

Cool, nice pictures and story. I have to try some of those fields.

Thanks demyansk! I highly recommend good (researched) farm fields! Many of my best finds have come from them!

Congrats on the Barber Ben, nice save. What was that in the first pic ? Fyi, I have had Buffs and Vs go as low as 9 and clad or war's go as high as 15. So lately I have been pretty much digging anything that shows an 11-12-13 in the signal, and I've been killing on nickels and yeah pulltabs or parts of but they also could be a ring or gold coin. 80 in my last 22 outings. Just something to think about. Take care Mark

Very cool find! I'm glad you took pics for us. You're doing some good field work this year. Swing on!

Markinswpa is right about the nickel exceptions to the 12-13 rule.

Thanks, Mark...thanks Foragist! Interesting to hear both your experiences with the variability in the nickel signals. I’ll certainly be on the lookout for those, but so far I haven’t come across any. And don’t get me wrong, I dig all solid signals, especially in a field like this one. On this hunt, I just meant that I didn’t run across many signals above iron let alone about 10, so the solid 27 seemed all the more pronounced when the coil got over it!

Here’s a shot of the rest of my digs from the day other than iron, which includes a couple .22 casings (typically ring up around 10), a couple pieces of broken watch gears, and other bits of brass and lead:

57164337-25E6-4044-B177-B7B908A3C921.jpg

I’m not entirely sure what the first item is...maybe a decorative cover of some kind? It’s quite thin, and broken judging by the somewhat ragged edge on the one side. The detail work suggests it's turn of the 19th-20th century, so it matches the time frame for the overall site:

Attachments

• 09108D55-047C-451D-AB71-E90F9752BA25.jpg
    09108D55-047C-451D-AB71-E90F9752BA25.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 286
  • 9E84CDA2-D4C9-48C2-8EA0-83C3670D3843.jpg
    9E84CDA2-D4C9-48C2-8EA0-83C3670D3843.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 305
That's awesome, congrats on the surface barber! And great photo's!

Nice coin and fun way to find it!

Thanks cellr, thanks TS! It’s always a fun bonus to spot any interesting find on the surface - marbles, coins, any keeper really. For me, there’s something about seeing the item still half buried in the dirt/half exposed that adds to the mystique and the feeling of “found history”!

Nice job on your O mint mark. Glad you're still able to be out in your fields. Mine do not have crops in them but the weeds are overgrown so much I cannot swing.

Thanks Dan! You’re right, it’s getting tough in most of the unplanted fields...weeds in this one were waist high in some spots! Fortunately there were still some spots that were patchy and only shin high, so I could still swing well enough in those areas. Toughest part was the dang mosquitoes!! I intentionally chose a windy and sunny day to try to help keep the little vampires away, but they were too thirsty - every now and then I hit a patch of weeds and an entire squadron would rise up and fight the wind to get a piece of me!

I was surprised not to find a single tick...so there’s that small plus. I was only wearing Off, which is marginal defense at best, so I doubt that was what kept them away.

Ben, congrats on the 1901 Barber dime! I'd love to uncover a coin like that one. :grin: Great find!

Thanks Princess! Just keep swinging and you’ll get over a similar or better coin... no doubt! Keep taking the time to research older sites and/or secure quality permissions to increase your chances, of course. It’s like real estate...location, location, location ;)

Very nice find,congrats:cool:

Thanks, bibelot!!

A well earned recovery Ben. That detector alarm is a very nice asset to have on those vision hunts of yours:yes:. That looks like that Barber is in very nice condition. Congrats! Oh, I'm trying to give away a couple of Silver Half Dollars over in the Coinshooter's section. You might want to check out my thread. Trapper

A well earned recovery Ben. That detector alarm is a very nice asset to have on those vision hunts of yours:yes:. That looks like that Barber is in very nice condition. Congrats! Oh, I'm trying to give away a couple of Silver Half Dollars over in the Coinshooter's section. You might want to check out my thread. Trapper

Thanks Trapper! I’ve been pretty fortunate this year with several eyeball finds, but the detector was definitely necessary for this one. Without the machine, I’d have been more likely to step on it than see it with my luck :lol: Yes, it’s in pretty nice shape - a couple letters are visible in “Liberty” on the crown, and most of the other details are pretty crisp.

And thanks for the heads up on your Silver Half thread...I often neglect to check out the Coinshooters section for some reason. I gotta get more consistent at looking over there!

Back
Top Bottom