More Wheats and a Tax Token.

Silversmith45

Elite Member
Still hunting that same park. I guess I never realized how large it is. I had been hunting a small area for about thirty years because that's where I always had the best luck. I'm finally beginning to expand my search area. Today in about a two hour hunt, I found two Quarters, A Memorial Cent, four Wheat Cents, and my second Oklahoma Tax Token for the year. That's the first time I've ever found more Wheats than clad. There's got to be more silver there somewhere.
ok2.gif
They are a 1941, a 1945D, a 1945S, and a 1951D. I also found a 1947D Nickel. I don't know what the domed washer is from.

After thirty years, you're finally expanding your search area,
I love it!

Nice finds. I've never seen a tax token before, didn't know they
existed.

Back in the 30's and 40's most states had tokens they issued for local sales taxes. They were usually a fraction of a cent. :dash2:

Now we're lucky enough to pay several cents on the dollar and not have to worry about tokens. Now that's progress !

Over the years, I've found tax tokens from Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Arizona. Probably a few others that I forgot. One area of a local park seemed to have a lot of them...from different states. Once at a park I dug up the clasp from an old coin purse about six inches deep. I pinpointed eight targets next to it. I could just see Mercury's and Wheats. It turned out to be eight Kansas tax tokens. Both of the Oklahoma tokens that I have found this year have been bent.

Way to go on the wheaties Silversmith! Finding more wheaties than clad is a good day in my book.

Nice going! Might have been a fair or something at one time there

It's a large park where there was a housing development for workers at Boeing during WWII that made the B-29s in Wichita. My favorite area is getting harder to make good finds so I'm trying different areas. There are some soccer fields and a football field that I don't detect. They are taking part of it and expanding a Fire Department training area. (I could never find anything in that part anyway). I believe that the who area was built in the early 1940's. That's when most of my old coins are from. I would like to hunt some of the houses but it's not the best neighborhood. It's not safe after dark.

Back
Top Bottom