Learning curve foray # seven

Missouri Mule

The last learning curve foray, part 4, I posted on August 5th. Since then I have gone out three times, only to finally find something today that was not total junk. Not that I found anything worth bragging about but this time I slowed down and carefully dug ALL my signals. Pictured below is a set of Ford keys from the 1980's, a lead battery clamp (the first lead I have found since digging up a 1" lead shot-shell ball from the Civil War in my own backyard), threaded rod with a washer & nut, two pop tops, a piece of copper, an old pop bottle cap, a screw-on bottle cap, a few pieces of sundry aluminum . . . and, alas, a 1995 zinc penny and 1981 clad dime.

attachment.php

Last week I got permission to detect on a neighbor's property, where there once stood a house from the 1870's. My neighbor was super excited and immediately led me to a spot where she said some very old silver coins were found some thirty years ago. After three beer cans dug she wished me good luck and went back inside. After four more beer cans I suddenly remembered that the neighbors before her had a few sons that drank beer like water, hence the unusual number of beer cans. They were all about five inches down because of the dirt work done for the new house that sits on the same property.

I am satisfied with today's finds; they are all part of the learning curve. My next major goal will be a silver coin, though an old Buffalo nickel or Indian Head Cent would be cool. Thanks for all your advice and support.

Yeah, those darn beverage cans! I usually "know" it's a can, but I dig it anyway. You never really know, ya know? Even though I am certain it is not a coin, I often dig them; A) to see what it actually is. sometimes it turns out to be something cool. and B) to get it out of the way. Occasionally, a good target is discovered by first removing the junk that was masking it.

Anyway, keep at it. Get through that curve. The learning always continues, but it gets easier...

Back
Top Bottom