Sending gopro down an old well.

Country Dirt Kid

Elite Member
I was scouting around when I saw a dinner plate sized hole in the ground. I dropped a rock into the hole and heard it splash into water after a long fall. I came back later and lowered a gopro down the hole and found out it was an old stone lined hand dug well. I also found a nice coin by detecting around it. The stone are cool looking as they are full on ancient marine fossils. Here's some pics and a small clip of the inside of the well. I was very exciting to find a piece of history.
aaa.jpg

bbb.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdhndtdKnRA

first thought go pro was some kind of a metal detector and wondered why you were putting it down a well. Googled it and it's a waterproof camera. Interesting video, sure wouldn't want to fall down there. Would be a good place to lower a magnet.

Very cool well. I can't imagine what it would be like to dig that yourself and line it with those stones. I wonder how many well diggers perished because of cave in's ?

I wonder what's at the bottom of that well. If the water is clear enough rig a light on the gopro and take a look. Of course if you see something interesting then you have to figure a way to get it out. [emoji13]

Cliff

Your 2 cent piece is in really nice condition. Have only found two of them myself, in almost 40 years in this hobby. Both were found in the same town in Massachusetts.

I wonder how many animals have fallen into that well over the years. A cap stone should really be placed over the top to keep someone from dying from a fall down that well. Yikes!

You guys are all talking about falling down this well. The OP states the hole is "dinner plate size". Kinda hard to fall through that. I'm not a well expert. But maybe about 2' under the soil it could open up to be a manhole size of well. Idk.

Thanks for checking out my story. It looks like years ago someone covered it up with flat slabs of rocks. A tree grew overtop of the rocks and now it’s sealed up by the roots. Only a small hole is open now. I just can’t imagine someone standing down at the bottom asking to send down another bucket of rocks. Strange to think that people drank cloudy hazy water from the ground. I’m going back here to pound the ground with my detector when things thaw.

You guys are all talking about falling down this well. The OP states the hole is "dinner plate size". Kinda hard to fall through that. I'm not a well expert. But maybe about 2' under the soil it could open up to be a manhole size of well. Idk.
That would be to small to fall into but just the right size to step in and break a leg. What the OP hasn't said is how deep it is.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom