Some Finds From My Bavarian Road Trip

daddydigger

Forum Supporter
Hi Diggers,
I spent 5 glorious days detecting in Bavaria. The woods we hunted were criss-crossed with ancient paths going all the way back to the Bronze age, Celtics, Romans, and Medieval times. We found a little bit of everything!

Attachments

• 0000 Arrowhead.jpg
    0000 Arrowhead.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,638
  • 1000s arrowhead.jpg
    1000s arrowhead.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 1,661
  • 1100-1400 bolt.jpg
    1100-1400 bolt.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,602
  • 1200s Spur C.jpg
    1200s Spur C.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,638
  • 1250 Heller C.jpg
    1250 Heller C.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,574
  • 1300s Coins.jpg
    1300s Coins.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,597
  • 1500s - 1800s Buckles.jpg
    1500s - 1800s Buckles.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,599
  • 1500s creasing hammer C.jpg
    1500s creasing hammer C.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,471
  • 1000s buckle.jpg
    1000s buckle.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 1626 Coin C.jpg
    1626 Coin C.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 1,489
  • 1687 C.jpg
    1687 C.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,468
  • 1500s Buckles.jpg
    1500s Buckles.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,487
Amazing, what a trip! I love the bronze age arrow head, crazy how old that is. And all the silver coins, wow!!!

Wow that's amazing. Do you have friends in Bavaria? Or how did you manage to score a metal detecting trip there?!

Hey DblD, good to see you posting here again!

Thanks for sharing some amazing digs!!

World class digs, there! :shock: Very nice cleanup, identification/dating, and photographing too! I am especially liking the unusual blacksmith's hammer head! :wow:

That’s freaking amazing!!

Thanks, it was a thrill to find so much stuff!

Amazing, what a trip! I love the bronze age arrow head, crazy how old that is. And all the silver coins, wow!!!

That's the 5th one I have found in the last year!

WOW, those are truly incredible!
How were you so fortunate to hunt in Bayern?

Went with friends and met our German friend there.

Nice finds!

Wow that's amazing. Do you have friends in Bavaria? Or how did you manage to score a metal detecting trip there?!

It's a 4-hour drive from my home. Yes, we met our German friend who also detects.

Museum quality and type of finds...major congrats!

Thanks, I put a lot of effort into the clean up and waxing!

Hey DblD, good to see you posting here again! Thanks for sharing some amazing digs!!

Thanks Ron!

World class digs, there! :shock: Very nice cleanup, identification/dating, and photographing too! I am especially liking the unusual blacksmith's hammer head! :wow:

That hammer head was found and discarded on a stump by some unknown detectorist! What a freaking idiot! LOL.

Wow man, amazing finds! How big are some of those silver coins? Just curious to know.

They are the same size as Lincoln cents.

An excellent post. This is what the hobby is all about. Just DRIPS with history and coolness. Great pix. Great ID's. Thanx for bringing us along !

Congrats! I remember seeing your avatar years ago. Glad you are back here posting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome trip!

I got the story from one of your friends who was on the trip. Sounded sweet! Coins were really cool! Thanks for sharing!

I spent so much time in Germany. Cant believe I didnt have my detector sent over. Back in the 80's

I talked to a local military guy who was stationed at the Berlin wall check-point charlie area when the wall-fell in 1989. He'd already sent for his detector to be shipped over. So when the wall-fell, and they could drive over to the other side for the first time .

He did very well on the other side of the wall, just @ .... believe it or not ... park hunting. Despite having potential Roman stuff, castles, furrowed fields, etc.... to do. He didn't know any better, and just contented himself with virgin parks that dated from the 1600s to 1700s. Got a lot of silver coins (and even a gold coin) of that era. Apparently the east side of the wall had never seen modern electronic gadgets like that !

I talked to a local military guy who was stationed at the Berlin wall check-point charlie area when the wall-fell in 1989. He'd already sent for his detector to be shipped over. So when the wall-fell, and they could drive over to the other side for the first time .

He did very well on the other side of the wall, just @ .... believe it or not ... park hunting. Despite having potential Roman stuff, castles, furrowed fields, etc.... to do. He didn't know any better, and just contented himself with virgin parks that dated from the 1600s to 1700s. Got a lot of silver coins (and even a gold coin) of that era. Apparently the east side of the wall had never seen modern electronic gadgets like that !

yes, it wasnt big in England either. Thanks for making me feel better :tissue:

This Website kept me out of DEEP SCHEIßE while detecting Germany, it shows all the “off limits” areas. Highly recommended for anybody considering detecting in the state of Bayern. It also helped me find some good stuff. You can switch between very old maps and current imagery. By doing that, I was able to find lots of old roads and villages. I lived there for 3 years and loved every day of it.

http://geoportal.bayern.de/bayernat...uXnR5vbVs9Q_wMpvQuvxXfl46o8/MlJba/ure17/9nka5

Back
Top Bottom