Coin Id help?

kudzu

Posted on War Relic forum too so pardon the double post.

So on a well known civil war battle area that has been pounded and is an old farm now. Decided to search some rough areas that maybe others had passed over due to brush. Found three good targets. Two three ringers and a penny. The penny has been shot. What are the odds that it was shot during the battle???? Neat find but I can't even tell enough about the penny to know if it as wheatie or and IHP that could be from the period. Anyone see anything I don't or have any other ideas of the best next step to clean it. I have ruined toasted ones before so don't want to get too carried away and take it the point of no return until I have tried everything gentle first. Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• FullSizeR.jpg
    FullSizeR.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 309
  • FullSizeR - Copy.jpg
    FullSizeR - Copy.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 296
  • FullSizeR - Copy (3).jpg
    FullSizeR - Copy (3).jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 349
Anything is possible, but a hit from a 300+ grain lead bullet would do serious damage to any coin.

The damage on that one is light, more like a .22. But if it struck something else first...

My advice. Clean it. Brush it. With water to start with. Then ask. Much easier to see what it is and to see details (like year and so).
I can't see through a layer of rubbish.

I'd tumble it. Or, soak it for a few days in olive oil and then pick at it with a wooden skewer. I generally don't get coins wet with water unless they're silver, or going to be tumbled anyway.

But, if I had to take a guess, I think there's a good chance of it being an Indian Head. There seems to have a band inside the outer rim. Wheats don't have that, but Indian Head Cents have that dental molding detail just inside the rim. Or, it could just be corrosion build up.

Put some peroxide in a small glass dish and microwave until it starts bubbling, put the coin in it and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then clean with baking soda paste. Hopefully then you can get some details.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have done as much with a toothpick as I can. I have used tape to pull off small layers of crud but what is on there now is pretty solid. I am thinking the peroxide trick might loosen it up. I will try more and then post better pictures from a Digital camera on micro. Maybe it will at least reveal if that is edge molding. Thanks for the help.

I'd tumble it. Or, soak it for a few days in olive oil and then pick at it with a wooden skewer. I generally don't get coins wet with water unless they're silver, or going to be tumbled anyway.

Yes. Be carefull with old coins.
I usually use a Dremel® :shock: on 18th ct and older coppers. For real! :D:laughing:

Back
Top Bottom