Thought I had my 1st crotal bell. Or do I?

k2gleaner

Elite Member
When I popped this out of the ground I thought it was a bell but it was heavy and had iron rust on it. In general, the shape seems right, the metal seems right, but the weight and rust do not.

You can just see 3 of the 4 round holes which should be connected by slits in each hemisphere. The orientation of the holes in the top half is 90 degrees to the that of the other half.

This item has not been cleaned in any way other than brushing off the dirt.

I don't know what material the ball in the bell is made of but it can't be iron. It almost seems as if someone put a bolt or not into this thing and it blew up with rust.

What do you see? I've never seen a crotal bell.
451171584fc9c914f3c5b25727b2c6bc.jpg

How should I start to remove the rust and see what's underneath?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, it is a Crotal bell. Good find.
The rust, as others posted, is from the iron ball inside and also from the iron pin that held it onto a leather strap.

I have found a few crotal bells and they all have rust. Only one clean up with the iron ball free so the bell still rings.

The metal is a Brass like alloy (copper/zinc) with tin, lead or arsenic added for color which also makes it more corrosion resistant. This alloy is similar to what they made Tombac buttons from.

Will the bell react with vinegar if I want to try to remove the rust? Shall I try grinding some of that rust off? I'd love to have the surface clean.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom