Best way to clean old silver coins?

Hello all, I’m sure this has probably been asked and answered at some point, but what’s everyone’s method on cleaning old silver coins. I know you’re not supposed to clean old coins as that will decrease their value, but I’m trying to clean one up to look nice, not sell. So what’s the best way to do it?

Please do not follow the video as shown, you will create a toxic gas using stainless steel and salt. I use electrolysis to clean items, however the materials used matter.

I have found that washing soda is best for electrolysis, and it does not create the toxic fumes salt will. I also order carbon based anodes specifically for this process, as they work better and are completely safe to use. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FGDR8X8

In the video he shows red to silver. I believe that red (positive) is supposed to go on the spoon or cathode, and negative is on the silver or anode. I have done things this way with some good results.

1. Fill non-conducting container with water.
2. Add in some washing soda (amount varies by water volume, but it doesn't take much to enable conductivity for electrolysis to work, you can always add more if you feel it's needed)
3. Place positive connection on the spoon or other metal sacrificial item (cathode)
4. Place negative on your coin, ring or item to be cleaned (anode)

Allow 2-3 minutes to pass, then remove power and pull the item from the solution. Cover the item in washing soda and rub. You'll notice a bit of heat when water is added to washing soda, I recommend gloves but have done this without gloves in the past, it'll dry out your hands.

Repeat as needed and items will become cleaned up and visible. Do not mix metal types in the same water solution. You can slightly electroplate an item if you mix metal types in the same water solution.

Also, never use electrolysis on a clad coin. It'll pull the softer metal, usually copper, out of the clad and plate the coin changing it's color and look. I find a rock tumbler is the best way to clean clad to prepare it for turn in.

I would not put an extremely rare coin in a tumbler or clean with electrolysis. However for items you want to keep I have found electrolysis to be best for pure metals (gold, silver, copper), and a tumbler to be best for clad.

Good luck!

Here is an old token/badge I found that I cleaned with electrolysis. It took 7-8 treatments to get it cleaned up to where the details are clearly visible.

This is soft metal, possibly silver. I'm not 100% sure, but it cleaned up quite nicely and is in my collection of "Neat by worthless" items. :)

pic1.jpg
pic2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom