Record token day & first sterling fty

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Today I decided to hunt some woods I had hunted last year. Everything else is pretty much frozen around here. Took the 800 w/ 6in coil. I had dug a couple tokens on my hunt last fall but today I dug a record 9 tokens. Unfortunately 7 of them are, :mad: well not my favorite to dig. I call them smut tokens. One pretty cool Heads I win token and IMO a very cool great seal token. If anybody has an idea on how old the GS token is I would appreciate the input.

My first couple targets turned out to be trash and I remembered just how trashy this particular set of woods was. I also remember thinking on my return bring the 6in. coil. And glad I did, on my 4th or 5th signal up under a downed tree right next to a live tree I get a high tone in the high 30s. Down about 6in. in nice black dirt I see a blackish silver rim and thought I had an old silver dime. for sure. When I pulled it I saw the back first and saw sterling right away. At first I thought it was a button of some sort. and when I saw the front I was more than pleased with the find. Realized it was a Tiffany &Co. cufflink made for the Pittsburgh Athletic Assoc. 1908. Awesome first sterling fty. A little further on with a 26-27 from around 4ins. revealed a large disc as I wiped I could see the great seal and no cash value on the back. That being my first token fty. And a cool one at that. Can the day get better, it did. A 5 Jeff nickel spill and a couple more tokens. Then up tight between the roots of a large tree, the 6in. just fit and sounded off with a high tone in the 30s. A toasty 1901 IHP showed up from a good 7in. down. Real happy now. I was hoping for a Buff and a silver coin or two but sterling, a IHP, a cool token and the others plus a little clad made for a good day. The temps are supposed to warm up a little for the next few days so I might head back there tomorrow to see if I can find the other cufflink. Good luck to all and HH Mark

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    025.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 369
  • 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 317
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 381
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Really cool stuff, I would be happy with that too. Well done. I need to get into some woods here while the vegetation is down some......

Wow vintage tiffany & co, bucketlister! Really nice finds Mark, congrats!

Jeff thanks, definitely a good start on sterling. Typically I don't find much jewelry but towards the end of last year my finds really picked up. I hope the trend continues. HH Mark

Congrats on a great hunt Mark! That old Tiffany cuff link is really nice!

Ron thank you, seems I saw one of these found in a local md'rs video. Have to check. We'll see. Good luck Mark

So does this make you the token detector guy of the group? :laughing:

S4R, I don't know about that but what I can tell you if I don't ever dig another one of those tokens I won't be sad about it. HH Mark

Great hunt, those are nice. Pretty good shape, too.

Penny thank you very much. Take care. Mark

That's a wacky hunt! That's a good thing!

TS, thank you sir, Yes that was a strange one. Anytime I find stuff over a hundred years old I consider a hunt a success. I thought for sure I would find a Buff. And after being house bound (weather) for 7 days I was happy to get out. How's the ground there ? HH Mark

Really cool stuff, I would be happy with that too. Well done. I need to get into some woods here while the vegetation is down some......

Dave thanks, as I stated woods are our only option right now. Give them a try, you will be surprised with what you find. Good luck Mark

Last edited:
That is one of the coolest pieces of silver that I have seen. Also cool it is a piece Tiffany's. The great seal token is really cool too, never seen one like that before. Congrats on the indian, sterling and all the tokens!

How's the ground there ?

The top few inches were frozen earlier this week, but it slowly warmed back up and the past 24 hours was enough to thaw it out. I took off work two hours early today to enjoy the 40 degree temps and do a quick hunt at an open permission I've pounded to death. A little experimenting resulted in a couple of Buffs and wheats. I probably wont get back out until Monday or tuesday, but the forecast is in the high 40s. I was surprised last year at how far into the winter I was able to detect, and it looks like this year will be the same.

Great finds , play by play and photos ! That Tiffany cufflink is awesome ! Congrats !

SS, Thank you sir. HH Mark

That is one of the coolest pieces of silver that I have seen. Also cool it is a piece Tiffany's. The great seal token is really cool too, never seen one like that before. Congrats on the indian, sterling and all the tokens!

Jason, appreciate it. I imagine a pair of those cufflinks cost a pretty penny back in the day. That one will make the display case for sure. Good luck Mark

The top few inches were frozen earlier this week, but it slowly warmed back up and the past 24 hours was enough to thaw it out. I took off work two hours early today to enjoy the 40 degree temps and do a quick hunt at an open permission I've pounded to death. A little experimenting resulted in a couple of Buffs and wheats. I probably wont get back out until Monday or tuesday, but the forecast is in the high 40s. I was surprised last year at how far into the winter I was able to detect, and it looks like this year will be the same.

TS glad to hear the ground is still diggable. Another strange one yesterday, a thimble, one wheat, 1920. 2 memorials, smut token spill, 5 and 3 more after that and my last find a 71 Kennedy half. Some weird sh--t huh ? HH Mark

Man that’s some great hunting! I wouldn’t mind digging some of those tokens! The vintage T&C is pretty slick![/QUOTE

GS thank you, ran into a spill of those tokens yesterday 5 and found 3 more after that. Not to sound ungrateful but I would rather dig tokens with a little dated history to them. HH Mark

Mark, nice finds as usual. You seek and you seem to always find the goodies....congrats!

John thank you, I have to say I have been lucky as of late. I hope it continues. HH Mark

A very nice start to the new year Mark. The vintage Tiffany Cuff Link is the cat's meow and a fantastic recovery. Congrats on the GS Token, the Indian and all the rest. Trapper

A very nice start to the new year Mark. The vintage Tiffany Cuff Link is the cat's meow and a fantastic recovery. Congrats on the GS Token, the Indian and all the rest. Trapper

Trapper thank you sir. Very happy to have found a cool piece of sterling for my first of the year. I see on your location now marked frozen tundra. Sorry to hear that. We are not far behind you. I have 1 or 2 woods sites I've been saving. Take care, Mark

Back
Top Bottom