• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Quitting

Because Nebraska parks are the most hunted out parks in the country. I would bet we have more detectors per capita than any state. And yea I hunt houses but I just enjoy the solitude of parks

Pretty much there already, not many opportunities locally, and it gets too dang hot in the summer :shock: :lol:

I'll do a little clad-stabbin' now and then, but I cut my teeth on old homesites....just not the same :(

I have seen so many come and go here.. Folks get burnt out fast when the spots dry up. It takes a lot of time and dedication and other things in life come up.. I personally don't get out like I used to but still think about it everyday..

Quitting would suggest hanging it up for good. I have not done that although I don't get out all that often for a number of reasons. Truthfully though, when weather, location, permission, and time cooperate, I still love it!

Thought about getting out of the hobbie a few times,but it pisses my old lady off till no end,so I’ll stay...I will say this though,it’s a prime time for those who are just starting this hobbie..With the prices of used machines,all that horsepower at a fraction of the cost,I wish I were just starting out now.lol
I don’t get out as much as I want to,last night was a bust with no coins at all for a 2 hour hunt.Today produced 2 wheats.Luck of the draw though.
Lots of reasons to quite,I get a little discouraged when I see a great seated coin found,and I look it up only to find out it’s worth $20 bucks.To me that’s the holy grail,just a great looking coin.
I’m definitely downsizing to one machine,not sure who’s staying and who’s going.But I’m going to be keeping a one horse stable by next month.

I have been MDing (and bottle digging) in various degrees since 1969 when I was 14 so looks like I'm in it for the long haul. :grin: My first bottles were found with a MD.

Attachments

• Digging Dump June 1971.jpg
    Digging Dump June 1971.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 465
Have you ever considered giving this hobby up ? if so, why?

Sure have.
When I get into a hobby I dive in head-first. That kinda had a negative effect on it.
The worst is when I get to my hunt site and my excitement just dies. Sometimes I think "what the heck am I doing".

Just have to find that next gold to get over the hump.

Yep! when I'm placed where the old coins and gold are still hidden. That's when I'll hang it up for good.

I think we all have times when we get frustrated with this hobby.
There are also times when we are "on fire"
While I have not really considered quitting for good, there are times when I need a break for a week or so.

I've been at it off and on for 39 years. I guess what keeps me going is that I've been busy with work for months or as much as 2 years straight without detecting. I guess that keeps me hungry. I don't work as hard now, so I get to go out more.

Well, being a married man I have to get out and dirtfish. Can’t be together all the time, not healthy, you’ll smother each other. Best to have a hobby where you can “get away” from each other now and then, it’s just normal.

Well, being a married man I have to get out and dirtfish. Can’t be together all the time, not healthy, you’ll smother each other. Best to have a hobby where you can “get away” from each other now and then, it’s just normal.

You said a mouthful of truth there brother !

Personally,I enjoy the challenge too much to quit for more than a few days when other things need attention. While finding EASY silver(I do old coins primarily) is just that...easy...it’s the deep and/or difficult coins that I enjoy finding. Pitting my own gathered knowledge against the circumstances along with a machine you know pretty well is a lot of fun to me. Sometimes I come home with a pocket full of &@#$. Other days it’s one coin,other days a few. It’s always the hunt itself that keeps me going,not necessarily what I’m finding,though it is the hope that SOMETHING will materialize for all of the effort put forth.
Tonight I hunted my village park that goes back 130+ years. A very weak repeating signal through moderate EMI with the depth meter bottomed out gave me enough of a sign to dig. At 9”+ I found a plain 1905 Barber dime,very worn. It might be a 5$ coin on the best of days,but to me it was yet again confirmation that something SO weak CAN indeed be an old coin. In my “early days”, I would’ve never dug such a thing,if I even heard it. Very deep coins at the edge of detection just don’t sound like some people expect them to. For me,finding that fine edge is what I live for,and why it would be hard to hang it up. It’s just what I love to do.

I think we all have times when we get frustrated with this hobby.
There are also times when we are "on fire"
While I have not really considered quitting for good, there are times when I need a break for a week or so.

Yep, I hate it when a promising site becomes a disappointment. But I think if old coins and relics were common and easy finds, then I don't think coin and relic hunting would be so thrilling. I like a challenge :yes: That's just my opinion anyway...

Yes. Because here in Texas the ground is rock hard for 10 months of the year and living in a fairly new town, the chances of silver are significantly lower. And the fact that I’m using a bottom line detector. I suppose i have a gloomy outlook 😂. The occasional decent find keeps me going.

Back
Top Bottom