How do you park hunters do it?

Been using this mini shovel for the last 4 seasons......cuts perfect plugs for the deep silvers and it's very useful to push myself back upright with after retrieving the target:lol:

I use a home depot garden hand shovel with serration and I sharpen it with a grinder.
I will get a shovel like sampson soon.

In parks, I usually use a predator tools raptor (modified). Any quality had digger will do the job but the key to SHARPEN it from time to time. A sharp digger will cut right thru the thick matted grass.

I also have a Lesche shovel but don't find it necessary in parks most of the time.

I wouldn’t even go detecting anymore without my 31. As Jeff said,nobody has ever questioned my equipment. If you’re hunting 0-6” coins...I guess a hand trowel will do,I did it for a long time. It when you’re after 9”+ coins in tough terrain,I can do a BETTER and NEATER job with the shovel. Whatever works for everyone in their situation,and it looks like that shovel Walrus bought is going to teach him a lesson in economics. Digging...good. PRYING a tough plug out?.... Broken. There’s a reason the Sampson costs what it does.

Did a bit of dirt hunting in the backyard testing out the Nox 600, and I prefer the beaches :yes: :D I was using the free kellyco gator digger I got with the Ace350. Pinpointing was OK using the nox and the vibraprobe but the dirt/sand and rocks while stooped down in a catcher's position is no fun for me :) I'd rather lift a 20lb scoop of wet sand :laughing:

That thing wouldnt last one day for me. Plastic handle on a pine shaft :no:

Some times its better to save up for quality than to buy cheap over and over again.

Shaft is composite fiberglass over wood.
60 day no questions asked money back.
I'll take my chances.
Just watched a YouTube video where a guy snaps his lesche shovel.

in georgia you have to contend with rock and roots. Without my 30" hesche shovel, I would not be able to recover all junk finds and a few of my good finds. Let two weeks go by without rain you might as well stay home unless you are in a good stand of woods that helps retain some of the moisture. Dry red clay is almost like cement. Once we were installing a fence during a long dry period and the gasoline power screw digger would just spin in the clay and not even get a bite into the hard clay. We took it back to home depot rental and got one of those big 10 feet heavy iron poles and that was the only thing to break into the dry clay. But boy was it work.

Love beach hunting, nice breeze and and soft sand. Using a sand scoop is quite easy if you just take your time and have a good one with a good handle attached to help gain your leverage.

In my experience, it doesn't matter WHAT your digging with in public just the fact that you are DIGGING places a bullseye on you. Ive used a long handle digger exclusively for every season I've detected. 95% of my hunting is done in public ballfields and parks. Not once has anyone said anything about my shovels. Ive only been asked to leave a ballfield once, and that was because he referred to the field as "HIS" field :laughing: Honestly , I say use whatever tool makes it the most comfortable to retrieve targets with. My back thanks me for using long handles shovels though That's for sure. I have a couple hand diggers that don't even see the dirt anymore. Good luck and happy hunting!

Second that[emoji106]
I dig about 100 targets per outing and the Kobalt shovel helps a lot.
367c053e8d108043a5b7a3d15e49e8fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know where to get the best deal on the 31" Sampson shovel? Saw a variety of them on Ebay with prices ranging from $60 to $120 dollars, some with a t-handle, some with just a ball on top....?:?:
Thanks for any info...

Shaft is composite fiberglass over wood.
60 day no questions asked money back.
I'll take my chances.
Just watched a YouTube video where a guy snaps his lesche shovel.

That very well could have been my video! :lol:

Like I said before (I think I said it...) My Sampson lasted me about 7 years. Thats tens of thousand, if not over 100,000 total targets dug in that time. MY soil can get really, really bad some times and nothing lasts forever. I definitely got my money's worth out of it!

Anyone know where to get the best deal on the 31" Sampson shovel? Saw a variety of them on Ebay with prices ranging from $60 to $120 dollars, some with a t-handle, some with just a ball on top....?:?:
Thanks for any info...

I'm pretty sure Big Boys Hobbies has them for around $75. The ball or T-handle are options.

I know that some of you will disagree with me but Please do not use a shovel inn a city park. It gives the wrong impression to those who do not understand and it sometime leads to cities passing laws banning digging in parks.

I was detecting a tot lot in a park in North Carolina. Park employee was very nice but told me that I could detect all I wanted but I could not dig.

I picked up a few coins and went and checked to see if he was telling the truth. He was.

He told me that the reason city council passed the law was folks digging up the soccer fields with SHOVELS.

That very well could have been my video! :lol:

Like I said before (I think I said it...) My Sampson lasted me about 7 years. Thats tens of thousand, if not over 100,000 total targets dug in that time. MY soil can get really, really bad some times and nothing lasts forever. I definitely got my money's worth out of it!

I just checked my history, and yup, it was you.
Subscribed

I've been detecting for about 7 months now and 99% has been beach hunting.
The other .9% is tot lots with sand or bark.
I've done some park/dirt digging, but not for an extended period, until tonight.
I gave up after an hour and just scouted for targets for when I go back.
I use a Garrett digger and it does ok but it's so tiring! The grass at the park was the flat, matted type with some straight grass in the mix.
Do most of you use hand diggers or shovels?
I couldn't cut a round plug easily so I just made a half circle and wedged it up.
My coin popping technique need medical attention too!
I have a new respect for you all that hunt in the dirt.

First off, get a Lesche digger. It's a little thinner, and and has stronger steel. It cuts easier through the sod, and has a fantastic large hand plate, so you can use your body weight to both push into the soil, and leverage the dirt up.

Second, don't dig "plugs". Not only is it tough on the sod, as it isolates the roots, but it is actually far less effective.

Assuming you have a good pinpointer (which is an absolute MUST for keeping digging to a minimum), cut a V or U shaped FLAP in the ground, then just leverage up the dirt under the sod. You can retrieve the target this way, then simply drop the sod flap back down and tamp lightly. Many lawn services use blade aeration, which just puts cuts into the ground. A cut will rarely brown, whereas a plug will almost always. :) Keeps everything looking fresh.

I also carry my pinpointer and lesche in my left hand while swinging on the right. I drop to one knee and rest my detector on my hip. The motion is VERY fluid, and doesn't require you to stop, put things down, and reach over to the pouch to retrieve a digger or pin pointer.

On one hand, the efficient movements are much less tiring, and it's far more efficient for retrieval, anyway. I usually have less than 8 seconds on the ground.

On the other hand, because it's so efficient, you fill you do a bit more up/downs than you otherwise would. For me, it's actually cleared up some back issues, as it's strengthened my core.

So... bottom line is:
1) Have a great pinpointer
2) Get a Lesche (I've used them both, and I assure you, the Lesche is superior)
3) Practice efficient motions

Cheers!

Skippy

So far I've ONLY detected local parks. I've mostly been skunked in the tot-lots, so I don't bother with them any more; I head straight for the grassy areas.

I just got a pinpointer, and it's a game-changer! Where I used to dig horseshoe-shaped flaps (my first one was Clydesdale size, I've got them down to big dog-paw size), I now either use the tip of The World's Most Expensive Screwdriver (yeah, there's a story there) to nudge the grass aside and poke around in the soil OR if necessary I use a cheapo folding knife to make a short slit and gently push the grass layer aside to expose the soil.

I figure I'm doing essentially the same job as the lawn aerators.

I don't dig deep signals any more because (a) all my local parks are pretty recent and my area was mostly empty uninhabited land before the developers moved in and (b) the few that I did dig early on weren't worth the work and potential damage.

Newbie that I am, I have learned a few things that might be worth sharing.

First, look for piñata trees! Trees with branches that would be easy to hang a piñata from, especially if the tree is fairly close to a table and the branch extends over leaf litter or grass. I've gotten the two "coin spills" I've found from beneath such branches.

Second is I like to look for patches of that broad-leafed weed, I think it's an oxalis. It tends to grow lushly fairly close to sprinklers, so the bonus is the soil is usually moist too. The wider leaves quickly conceal dropped objects, and I've pulled a lot of my coins from on or just beneath the soil surface.

Third, I've done some drive-bys when activity is highest, to see where the soccer spectators are sitting, where the basketball players toss their stuff, and just generally reconnoiter who's doing what where.

Fourth, because I have a lot of local parks, I keep a log. That way, for each park I've searched I can refer back and find out where I searched, what I found, and where I thought I should search next. Some of my notes include crude maps. As I've been detecting parks that I haven't visited in years (since our kids were little), this is the only way for me to keep things straight.

I never use a shovel in a Park period!
I see that all over YouTube and those parks will be closed down soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom