• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Attacked by a vicious man-eating snake

CanSlawCartoons

...and by vicious man-eating snake, I mean a foot-long garter snake.
I was at one of my local parks with my 12-year old doing a short early morning park hunt. Most of the park is wooded.

Before I hit my first target, I look down and see the snake making a bee-line away from us. I point out the snake to my kid, explaining he is harmless and best to let him go about his business.

As I'm saying this, I'm pointing my coil at the snake. He stops, coils up and starts striking my coil!

He hit the coil twice and I was more worried he would hurt himself on the coil than anything he could do to the coil.

The best part is when my kid calmly said "Looks like he doesn't like metal detectors!"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I thought about that. Since garters are usually very non-agressive, I thought maybe the frequency was messing with him in some way and it pissed him off.
I wonder if the snake could feel or sense the coil transmissions.

They are always pissed. They have grown up hearing the tales of the evil digging tool guillotine cutting earthworms in half with no warning!
Had a scare last night.
Flipping my plug open and and earthworm landed on my hand and started his attack.

Had a scare last night.
Flipping my plug open and and earthworm landed on my hand and started his attack.

:laughing: :laughing:

I came across a rattlesnake at a park once, it was dead and belly up, only about a foot long. I picked it up with my lesche and put it in the trash. Grass was kinda high, didn’t want anyone stepping on it barefoot, or a kid to play with it.

Yeah, the creatures in northwest Florida keep me on the beaches and in the parks, playgrounds, ball fields and mowed lots. There are four venomous snakes, bears, and occasional panthers in the woods here.

Yeah, the creatures in northwest Florida keep me on the beaches and in the parks, playgrounds, ball fields and mowed lots. There are four venomous snakes, bears, and occasional panthers in the woods here.

Some Bicycler in Washington State just got killed by a Mountain Lion (panther) a couple days ago.. Whatever you do DON"T run.. stand your Ground and try and look Big and Bad.

Upstate NY I have seen big Brown snakes.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I seem to remember that somebody else had a problem with a snake and the detector. So the frequency thing may have a factor in this.

Ray

Anyone from Raleigh, NC (Wake County)? We just got a place there in a new development. Several residence finding baby copperheads in mulch, my daughter teaches at HS there and knows of two students and one teacher bitten by copperheads in past year. Found this article.

The Charlotte Observer reports the Carolinas Poison Center says Wake County has reported 82 venomous bites since March 1. During the same period, Mecklenburg County is next with 60 bites.

FACEBOOK USERS: Click here to view photos of snakes found in NC
Experts say venomous snake bites were up in North Carolina as a whole last spring over the previous year, and the mild winter weather was a factor.

The center said the number of North Carolina residents bitten by snakes in April increased nearly four-fold over the same period in 2016.

My local paper reported a uptick in MDers biting Brown snakes. The Brown Snake Community activist s group protested outside my local Whites Dealer, Inflated giant rat and all!

I'm just thankful that since the attack, I am now using my Nox.

As everyone is well aware, the Nox is equipped with anti-snake defense system.

Now, I only have the 600. The 800 is equipped with anti-venom.

Unfortunately, the tourniquet accessory won't be available until November.

Do you know why them garter snakes bite on your hand when you pick them up...
Because they no not have hands or feet to break their fall when you drop them.
They do not want to fall on their head...

KEN. :D

Ha! You think that's bad? I've got zombies, ninjas, and worst of all.... the dreaded locals

Ha! You think that's bad? I've got zombies, ninjas, and worst of all.... the dreaded locals
Locals are the problem. Not the deer, turkey, crows, seagulls or almost anything else I have come in contact with.
The locals in certain areas think that they came up with a scam themselves and I am stupid enough to fall for it.
Just because I have a MD does not mean I found something that is yours and what I do find is garbage every single time I go, no matter who asks.

Speak softly and carry......a shovel.

I seem to remember that somebody else had a problem with a snake and the detector. So the frequency thing may have a factor in this.Ray

I had a German Shepard try to bite my coil once. I turned the detector off and he just stood there looking at it. When I turned it back on, he tried to bite it again.

Heh! All I find, in the way of wildlife, are these GINORMOUS fat slugs! These things are about an inch and a half to two inches in length and easily as thick around as a woman's thumb or a man's index finger at the base. BIG soft squishy muthas! I *guess* they're luna moth or 7 year cicada larvae. HUGE lil guys. I generally find at least one, usually two or three per scamper. fiound one, today, in fact, at the totlot I was visiting.

Went on a scamper today at a kindergarten totlot. When I walked in the gate I saw twenty or thirty damned HOLES dug with piles of dirt next to 'em. Another fool with a detector, not fillin in his digs! #$%#&!!!

So I went round the WHOLE playground, hitting each hole, checking for trash or debris... nothing in any of them... and filled them all in conscientiously. Took me about an hour and a half. Time wasted, but ya gotta be a good citizen or ya won't get invited bck to any fun clambakes so.......

Turns out, as I was digging my own finds, I found a lot of nice easy targets... AND another of those fat grubs. Suddenly it DAWNED on me! It RAINED recently! What I had been oh so carefully filling in (and cursing the stupid jerk who seemingly had found NOTHING) were not slob-holesd... they were BIRD holes!! The local birds were going after those fat grubs! Well silly ME!! And after WASTING 90 minnutes valuable hunting time... I only found about $0.65! DANG! Well, I'll know better next time.
I always make certain the grub isn't injured, and bury her nice and deep so she'll hatch when it's her time. She's not hurting anybody and she's still just a baby. And I LOVE huge moths and cicadas!
Sage(CheeWEEcheeWEEcheeWEE!)Grouse

Back
Top Bottom