exercise for swinging arm?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
I work on the computer 4-5 hours M-F and use a mouse and/or track ball but still get pain in my right wrist sometimes. A wrist brace helps.

Well you guessed it, I swing my metal detector with my right arm and after about an hour my wrist and arm starts hurting.

anyone know of any exercise or gym machine I could use to make this arm stronger or better suited for longer hunts?

I work on the computer 4-5 hours M-F and use a mouse and/or track ball but still get pain in my right wrist sometimes. A wrist brace helps.

Well you guessed it, I swing my metal detector with my right arm and after about an hour my wrist and arm starts hurting.

anyone know of any exercise or gym machine I could use to make this arm stronger or better suited for longer hunts?

I got into this hobby in February. Since March I've had to wear a compression elbow sleeve.

12 ounce curls is the answer you seek :D

iu

Get a shoulder harness. Several versions out there. I use the Detector Pro model about $25.

I made several lower connecting belts I attached to all my detectors and just use the one harness on all of them, hook up and go.

With the steps below I've been mostly pain free for 10 years and can swing a coil for hours.

Step 1, see a Dr. and follow their advice. Any self help you try with an injury could do more damage than good. Anything from here assumes the Dr is ok with it.

Step 2, stop the bleeding. Check your posture, the chair you sit in, the desk your keyboard is on and the height of your monitor. All of this ends up in your back and arms.

Step 3, Hand, arm and shoulder position. Consider an ergonomic keyboard and mouse. I use the one from Microsoft with the round mouse and the front of the keyboard raised. It's pretty great for me but your results may vary. I also learned to use a mouse lefty. It takes a few days to get used to it but not as long as you would think.

Step 4, Exercise. Check WebMD for a list of them. I do those myself with good results.

Good luck.

Sometimes my wrist/hand goes numb within the 1st 30 minutes of hunting.
It's from swinging fast and a death-grip on the handle. I beach hunt and try to cover ground fast. That's the time to relax and find an easy pace.

I had the same problem when I rode motorcycles. Relax the grip.

The act of swinging has no effect on your arm and wrist. It is the act of gripping the detector for so long that effect your arm and wrist. You have to do a lot of work to stabilize your wrist when holding a detector for extended periods of time. it takes it toll on your forearm muscles (adductors, extensors, wrist and elbow stabilizers) and leads down the road to acute, and eventually chronic tennis elbow.

I find spraying/brushing 2-300 gallons of premium latex paint a month gets you so used to the pain and numb hand, that you just don't acknowledge it any longer.:roll:

Sometimes my wrist/hand goes numb within the 1st 30 minutes of hunting.
It's from swinging fast and a death-grip on the handle. I beach hunt and try to cover ground fast. That's the time to relax and find an easy pace.

I had the same problem when I rode motorcycles. Relax the grip.

Agreed...same thing happens when gripping a golf club or tennis racquet too tightly.

Back
Top Bottom