• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

A little dirt fishing today.

Huckleberry

Elite Member
I managed to do a little dirt fishing today. Sadly, they were not biting. :lol: Went to a local river resort built in 1938 that I have hit a lot in the past. First signal ended up being the ‘37 wheatie, so things were looking up. After that, things kinda went downhill though, found one clad dime and a memorial cent. Also got most of a little lead man, :?: a red rover button, :?: a large chunk of lead to make sinkers with, and a metal ring of unknown origin. Not much to see here, but I hadn’t been digging yet this year, and it felt good to be at it again. GL and HH everyone!

I don't know how many times I've found a wheat right off the bat and things have went downhill . :( You got out and had fun and it isn't very often one of those old lead soldiers show up . Not a bad hunt at all . :waytogo:

Last edited:
I don't know how many times I've found a wheat right off the bat and things have went downhill . :( You got out and had fun and it isn't very often one of those old lead soldiers show up . Not a bad hunt at all . :waytogo:

Thanks. It's a tough site. Well above the flood plain of the river, but highly eroded from 80+ years of rainfall. Everywhere there is downhill from somewhere else. :lol: So even when you find a likely spot, you have to consider the possible "migration" routes of targets, and find obstacles for "treasures" to lodge against.

Here I go and beat my date record by three years with a 1939 wheat penny, and the next day you go and smack me with this thread!

Good finds though!

Dat is a cool looking lit-tle metal man you hov deah! (Arnold Schwarzenegger voice)

Thank You!

Fun stuff!

Thanks!

Here I go and beat my date record by three years with a 1939 wheat penny, and the next day you go and smack me with this thread!

Good finds though!

Thanks! Keep swingin' There's more out there! :detector:

Lead toy and wheat are sweet! Great hunt in my eye! Congrats :)

Thank You!

Like the lead soldier. Congrats

Thank You! It was fun.

You did better than i did. I went to an out of the way park and playground near a boat landing yesterday. I had not visited in at least 4 years so i was hoping for some clad

I found lots and lots of zincolns and they are still there. But only two dimes and4 copper pennies

Then the fun began NOT. I was walking across a slag filled parking area and got a target. I knelt down to get the target and when i went to get up my foot slipped on the loose material and i drove my right knee into the stuff. Then i flopped to my right on top of my detector. Got up and saw that my detector was no longer attached to the shaft.

I was quite concerned that i might have really broken my machine. But when i got home and did a thorough inspection i found that i had only broken one of the nylon bolts that held things together. A quick repair and a test in the yard said all was good.

But my knee is angry with me for mistreating it. But it will just have to get over being Mad

You did better than i did. I went to an out of the way park and playground near a boat landing yesterday. I had not visited in at least 4 years so i was hoping for some clad

I found lots and lots of zincolns and they are still there. But only two dimes and4 copper pennies

Then the fun began NOT. I was walking across a slag filled parking area and got a target. I knelt down to get the target and when i went to get up my foot slipped on the loose material and i drove my right knee into the stuff. Then i flopped to my right on top of my detector. Got up and saw that my detector was no longer attached to the shaft.

I was quite concerned that i might have really broken my machine. But when i got home and did a thorough inspection i found that i had only broken one of the nylon bolts that held things together. A quick repair and a test in the yard said all was good.

But my knee is angry with me for mistreating it. But it will just have to get over being Mad

Sorry to hear that George. Glad you made it OK, and are on the mend. Hope the knee is not angry with you for long. Falls are always a concern with me. In my younger days I could bounce and roll, but now I fall like a tree. :lol: Sounds like you lucked out with your machine though! At least luck was with you there!

Congratulations on your finds. That lead soldier is an oldie for sure and it's always nice to find wheats. I am looking forward to getting back in the river when we get some warmer weather.

Back
Top Bottom