A detective story? A detective story.

Scubacat

Elite Member
Here is the setup. We have a 15 g 10K gold ring found on a Vancouver beach. I could not fit the whole engraving into one photo, sorry. I will appreciate your ideas on the story behind it.

Attachments

• IMG_0250s.jpg
    IMG_0250s.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 802
  • IMG_0247s.jpg
    IMG_0247s.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 772
  • IMG_0248s.jpg
    IMG_0248s.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 799
  • IMG_0249s.jpg
    IMG_0249s.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 784
That's easy. I know it's hard to read, but it's in code. Which when translated says : Send this gold ring to Tom_in_CA.

Any other questions ? :?:

This ^ but not sure about the year. 32? Seems obviously to be for dad from a child or children, maybe for a 60th (diamond) anniversary (2012 or 1992). 'C' and 'B' - Charles and Beatrice, Clyde and Bonnie :lol: .... let your imagination roam....

This ^ but not sure about the year. 32? Seems obviously to be for dad from a child or children, maybe for a 60th (diamond) anniversary (2012 or 1992). 'C' and 'B' - Charles and Beatrice, Clyde and Bonnie :lol: .... let your imagination roam....

Looks like a 5. The lower left photo you can see it sneaking into the edge of the frame clearer with a "/ 5".

It looks like that. But what could the story be? Also, is it GB on the front?

Well you see when a man loves a woman, he buys a ring showing his love to Great Britain. It's a weird old timey tradition 😅

If you're really looking to get into research, get into the marriage records for the area you found it. Check the date and look for the initials. It might get you something.

Well you see when a man loves a woman, he buys a ring showing his love to Great Britain. It's a weird old timey tradition 😅

:lol:Yeah! And writes "Mom & Dad". That is why I appealed to collective mind. All those traditions are gone and only a few still remember bits and pieces. Soon even that little knowledge will be gone. :lol: I am still fuzzy even about the initials on the front though.

Last edited:
Neah. It's just the lighting. To make those engravings visible I had to hang the ring under the kitchen hood light. The ring looks solid. Just look at the engraving. It is pretty deep and yet the same colour. It will go to the melter at the end of the season anyway. And then I can update, but we are only in the beginning of the season.

Last edited:
:dingding: No matter what it says what an interesting honker of a find!

I agree that it looks like a sort of monogram ring with the parents' initials - perhaps a gift from the child(ren). I do not think that the first letter is a G, as it clearly resembles the C's that you sometimes see in a cursive or calligraphy script. I think it's reads:
"CB" "Mom & Dad 12'25'52"
It looks to me like C and B were wed (or enjoyed a milestone anniversary) on Christmas Day of 1952! The one dilemma with this conclusion is that the two 5's do not appear to be identical, but it's possible that the ring is hand-engraved, which would solve that problem. I wondered if the first numeral of the year was a 3 (as someone has suggested), but notice how each part of the date is separated by an apostrophe. So the portion that makes the numeral resemble a 3 is actually an apostrophe, I believe.

Those are my thoughts on the ring. Great find! :thumbsup:

I agree that it looks like a sort of monogram ring with the parents' initials - perhaps a gift from the child(ren). I do not think that the first letter is a G, as it clearly resembles the C's that you sometimes see in a cursive or calligraphy script. I think it's reads:
"CB" "Mom & Dad 12'25'52"
It looks to me like C and B were wed (or enjoyed a milestone anniversary) on Christmas Day of 1952! The one dilemma with this conclusion is that the two 5's do not appear to be identical, but it's possible that the ring is hand-engraved, which would solve that problem. I wondered if the first numeral of the year was a 3 (as someone has suggested), but notice how each part of the date is separated by an apostrophe. So the portion that makes the numeral resemble a 3 is actually an apostrophe, I believe.

Those are my thoughts on the ring. Great find! :thumbsup:
Thank you thanks! It is the first time I find a ring with that much history attached. I was hoping to read something like your detailed post. I lack local knowledge to do a decent analysis of all the clues. What I do not quite understand, nearly everybody says it is a gift from child(ren), but the engraving says "Mom & Dad" and it looks like a man's ring to me. I thought it was a gift from "Mom & Dad" to their son.

Last edited:
Thank you thanks! It is the first time I find a ring with that much history attached. I was hoping to read something like your detailed post. I lack local knowledge to do a decent analysis of all the clues. What I do not quite understand, nearly everybody says it is a gift from child(ren), but the engraving says "Mom & Dad" and it looks like a man's ring to me. I thought it was a gift from "Mom & Dad" to their son.
I'm glad that my thoughts may be helpful to you! I'm not really experienced in identifying rings, but it definitely helps to put heads together - and that's what this forum is for!

You bring up a good point about the origin of the ring. I guess my view was based on the assumption that since the inscription addresses the husband & wife as "Mom & Dad," it must be from the children, who would refer to them as such.

But you're right, that leaves us questioning why one would gift a single, masculine ring to both parents. Now that I think about it, your idea does seem to be a more likely scenario. Looking at what we do know of the ring - that it appears masculine, and that it reads something like, "Mom & Dad 12'25'52" - it would certainly make sense to say that it was a 1952 Christmas present from "Mom & Dad" to the son, like you suggested. :thumbsup:

This is a fun & interesting topic; thanks for sharing your find with us! :grin:

Back
Top Bottom