A reale in a roll of nickels

Jodo_Kast501

This isn't technically a detecting find, but it is from my "when I can't detect hobby" and there are more off-topic posts in this forum, so here goes.

I was going through a box of nickels this afternoon, as I often do when I can't get out because of heat, work, or childcare. I noticed an odd coin at the end of the roll. I don't usually check for enders, but noticed this as I was starting to open the roll. Thank God I took a photo. These are machine-wrapped paper rolls, by the way. The coin depicted the Pillars of Hercules, so I knew it was Spanish. I assumed it was a twentieth-century Spanish coin. It was not.

A little more context. The box was a good one even without this find and I'm fairly certain it's someone's collection dump. There were easily 150 or more 1940s and 1950s nickels, a Buffalo, three war nickels, and a Nazi 10 Reichspfennig. I'm still at a loss to explain how this got there. Great American Coin Hunt? I just don't know. Anyway.

I opened the roll and was flabbergasted to find a silver 1796 Spanish 1 reale. In a roll of nickels. 224 years after it was minted in Lima, Peru. I am still in shock. It is one in a million.

AJehdcph.jpg

AgHwb2Kh.jpg

ZbUGTHdh.jpg

Wow, don't know what to say but Congrats on getting a rare one plus all the other older coins.

This does belong in the 'eye popper'.

Coolness! Could be a collection dump. I recently dumped 1,000+ Jefferson nickels dated between 1946-1958, all crh finds.

Great find. Glad it ended up with someone who appreciates how special this is.

Great find. Glad it ended up with someone who appreciates how special this is.

X2

A plumber friend of mine used to get rolls of quarters from the bank to use for parking meters . He gave me a very worn Seated Quarter he got from one but your find from a coin roll is a hundreds of times more incredible than that .
Super Congrats !

When I pass I’m going to spread all my coins back where I got them !

This isn't technically a detecting find, but it is from my "when I can't detect hobby" and there are more off-topic posts in this forum, so here goes.

I was going through a box of nickels this afternoon, as I often do when I can't get out because of heat, work, or childcare. I noticed an odd coin at the end of the roll. I don't usually check for enders, but noticed this as I was starting to open the roll. Thank God I took a photo. These are machine-wrapped paper rolls, by the way. The coin depicted the Pillars of Hercules, so I knew it was Spanish. I assumed it was a twentieth-century Spanish coin. It was not.

A little more context. The box was a good one even without this find and I'm fairly certain it's someone's collection dump. There were easily 150 or more 1940s and 1950s nickels, a Buffalo, three war nickels, and a Nazi 10 Reichspfennig. I'm still at a loss to explain how this got there. Great American Coin Hunt? I just don't know. Anyway.

I opened the roll and was flabbergasted to find a silver 1796 Spanish 1 reale. In a roll of nickels. 224 years after it was minted in Lima, Peru. I am still in shock. It is one in a million.

AJehdcph.jpg

AgHwb2Kh.jpg

ZbUGTHdh.jpg

And yet, I'll bet there was a part of you, that was hoping it was a FULL ROLL of them. :)

Nice find!

Skippy

That has to be on of the craziest things I have ever seen from roll hunting! Nice score!

Back
Top Bottom