First Hunt with the Notka Impact

Sven

Elite Member
First off let me say this is a detector of high quality all the way around. Looks sharp and balances nicely!
I studies the manual, some one was surprised I read the manual, guess many don't.......after buying a metal detector, they just wing it..... :lol:
Also, read many posts on a number of forums regarding operation and set-up.
It was suggested as a new owner, and not having hunted with it to stick with a factory pre-set program modes. This would be a good way to get a feel how it operates and how it responds to targets.
Took the advice and decided to try the DI4 which is a 4 Tone Discrimination mode. Left all settings as pre-set. used the new 5x9 coil, ran 14khz.

Hit the road in a rental Mitsubishi RVR (I like it) with plans on hitting one of two schoolyards. Blue sunny skies when I left the house. About 3/4 of the way there, it got dark, about 1/2 mile from the school, the black clouds opened up with torrents of rain. Turned around headed back towards home, hoping to hit a well detected schoolyard where the sun still shines. Dang, those black clouds raced me home. Every stop light the rain caught up to me. Decided to just go back home. Then ran a few errands while the rain came down, then the sky turned blue and sunny, the wind was drying things up nicely.

Well loaded up the Mitsu again and made another attempt at that schoolyard. 20 minutes later after battling traffic and traffic lights, pulled into the schoolyard. Perfect! Grass was dry and the ground moistened just enough to make for some easy digging.

Grabbed all my gear along with the Impact headed for the grassy areas. Plugged into the Impact my Deteknix wireless headphones (they work excellent with the Impact). Turned on the power to both the detectors and the headphones. Followed the easy ground balancing procedure, only took about 4 seconds to ground balance. A few coil bobs and away you go.

DI4 mode worked just like the manual said it would, the Impact sure sees a lot of targets. Started digging target ID numbers from 5-90 to see what they were to get a good feel about ID'ing them as well as seeing where the Canadian clad would number out. From what I found today, in the short time I had to play with the Impact--It will find steel clad coins. I thought they were easy to pick out, even with some bounciness. Most of the coins were 4-6" deep. Two dimes straight on edge were found in the sides of two holes at 5", what was odd they read in the 70's numbers, most detectors would see these in the low iron range everyone discriminates out. The Loonie was 6" deep, a 1968 quarter was at the same depth, they were dig me numbers and dig me audio sounds.

Was having fun, then heard something loud, a boom in the distance, saw these mean grey black angry clouds baring down on the schoolyard. kept a close eye on them. Kept detecting my way back to the Mitsu, had the door opening remote handy. A blitz of lightening and a clap of thunder....yikes, time to pack up and get the heck out of Dodge. Then the rain came.

Had about 2 hours of hunting time in and was able to find out what the Impact is capable of using one of its many detecting modes. So far I like it and it reminds me of a number of other detectors I have used. Funny thing Keith Southern who has been running the protoype Impact felt it had a little or a lot of DNA so to speak from these detectors:
F75/T2, 705, MXT, Relic, Racer, AT-PRO. I had in a way, similar thoughts. Which is a good thing, look how many detectors you won't need to buy and try.....If you owned one or more of those detectors listed, you have a head start in learning to operate the Impact, if and when you decide to buy one.

Stay tuned more hunts on the way.

Todays finds

Attachments

• Impact June 24 2017.jpg
    Impact June 24 2017.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 71
Good stuff! Still waiting for the money to come in so I can get myself one. Did the Deteknix phones need any sort of adapter or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Good stuff! Still waiting for the money to come in so I can get myself one. Did the Deteknix phones need any sort of adapter or anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No, just plugged in the transmitter into the standard size 1/4" headphone jack. Slipped the TX into the neoprene environmental battery box cover, couldn't have been any easier.

Back
Top Bottom