1916D Merc at a pounded park!

gseuser

Elite Member
Tonight I wanted to get out so I went to a park that has produced for me and some other hunters in the past. Well I park my car get out and throw on the big ol NEL Storm on the AT Pro and walk onto the area. Within a minute Im getting a deep repeatable on the Pro coming up shaky 83-87 and its deep and quiet but I've been learning to dig the deep signals because its been rewarding me.

Pop a big deep plug and scan over it again, still quiet and still deeper. Pinpointer wasn't going off yet either. Dig another blade depth out and by now I'm a close foot and the pinpointer starts ringing and rattling. Out pops a silver dime which delighted me in itself. Pick it up and notice its a Merc. Not surprised because thats the 3rd merc I've heard of coming out of that place. So I lightly finger rub the date area and out pops 1916 at me. I get that feeling and say "oh boy 1916!!" Ive found one other 1916 before and it was an S.

Get out the spray bottle and pray and spray for a mint. There it is....D mint mark. I went numb and stared at the sky then the coin about 10 times. I couldn't even believe what I was holding. Im a big guy but I probably coulda done a cheerleading backflip at that point in time. I can't top this anytime soon. This week has been unbelievable, i find a Seated Quarter earlier in the week and didn't think it was getting topped for years and just a few days later here it gets topped.

I think ill get it graded professionally. Its in really good shape for being as deep as it was. Thank you all for looking and reading this. GL&HH to all of you! Remember to dig deep!

Attachments

• close front.JPG
    close front.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 3,287
  • closeup.JPG
    closeup.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 3,210
  • dirty merc front.jpg
    dirty merc front.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 3,206
  • dirty merc reverse.jpg
    dirty merc reverse.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 3,207
  • 1916d front.JPG
    1916d front.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,194
  • 1916d reverse.JPG
    1916d reverse.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 3,201
Awesome find !!!!

Definitely worth getting it graded. But even in poor condition their value is approaching $1000 from what I read , if you find the right buyer. Most of us will hunt all our lives and not find anything that valuable. If I found one I think I would see a new detector in my near future..............

Holy !!!!! Great find and in amazing shape! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An inspiration to all of us that coins like that can still be found. Congrats on a rare and valuable find.

Congratulations Man! Please keep us in the loop as to what becomes of this Outstanding find! I went up and told the Wife about what you just found! :laughing: I wonder what that will grade and what it could be worth out there? It looks to be in pretty decent shape!

Congratulations!!! This is proof that nothing is ever hunted out, and persistence pays off. Big hats off to you my friend!

Hell of a find. I would say it will grade very fine or better. The reverse is nicer than the obverse but for a dug coin it's nice for sure. Don't fool with it or rub it. I never say this and usually think professionally grading dug coins is a waste of money as they are usually in poor shape ; rare or not and I'm my opinion it's not worth it. Problem along with a low grade they are usually labeled " Enviromental Damage". I'd take it to a reputable dealer and get their opinion on grading. You have a coin that's worth a few thousand wholesale and maybe more at auction.Again grade is everything for value. Congrats on a nice save.

Hell of a find. I would say it will grade very fine or better. The reverse is nicer than the obverse but for a dug coin it's nice for sure. Don't fool with it or rub it. I never say this and usually think professionally grading dug coins is a waste of money as they are usually in poor shape ; rare or not and I'm my opinion it's not worth it. Problem along with a low grade they are usually labeled " Enviromental Damage". I'd take it to a reputable dealer and get their opinion on grading. You have a coin that's worth a few thousand wholesale and maybe more at auction.Again grade is everything for value. Congrats on a nice save.

Thank you very much! I've taken it to 3 dealers and all say send it off to get graded and authenticated. It will be worth more and people will be more apt to buy it because it's in a holder and guaranteed real. The only thing I have in it is time and energy so 40 bucks to send it off doesn't bother me at all. Thank you for looking at this!

Back
Top Bottom