New to detecting recommendations please?

Hotled

I'm a total newb and will be hunting for just about anything so a decent all around unit is what I'm looking for.
So far I'm leaning towards the following:
I have been looking at the F22,Ace 400, and a little higher the Technetics Patriot.

Any recommendations on which one you would prefer and why would help a ton.

I have used Tesoros and Fishers.
I got the F2 as a backup only but found out I loved hunting with screens too and went on to find a huge amount of treasure.
I graduated to an F70 and used it for the last three seasons and the only words to describe it is shock and awe.
The Patriot is an F70...I have no plans to upgrade in the foreseeable future because this is doing it all for me right now.
Major depth, tons of settings to conquer any site or conditions.
Coins, jewelry, relics...if it is metal it can find it.
A close to $700 right next to a flagship detector now at a low midrange price...no question in my mind the Patriot is way more advanced than the others you mentioned, extremely hard to outgrow quickly and would be my choice.

My experiences of the first several months using the F70 version...
http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=173474

I have a Whites M6 and am really happy with it. After seven years, it's still just as sound as the day I bought it. Whites are built to last and the customer service, although I never had to use it, is said to be second to none. I highly recommend checking them out. Very deep, fast recovery, and great target ID. And you can pass it on to your children. They are built that well.

Thanks digger27,
I was leaning heavily in the Patriots direction after reading the success stories of the f70.
I have been lurking for a while and trying to fill my tiny brain.

Honestly, any detector from about $80 to $400 is going to detect just the same. The only differences will be bells and whistles, which are nice but not needed. I usually tell a beginner to get something cheap, like a bounty hunter tracker and learn how to metal detect, see if you are really into it, etc. and then save up for a good mid-high level machine. At around $500 you start to get to much better machines. Good cheap machines are the one I mentioned already, fisher f2, ace 250, etc. all of the companies make a good first machine.

Honestly, any detector from about $80 to $400 is going to detect just the same. The only differences will be bells and whistles, which are nice but not needed.

I respect your right to any and all opinions but in this case I have to disagree.
Those bells and whistle can make a huge difference if used logically, so can a greater power range.
There can be a huge difference between the $80 and $400 range, especially now that the Patriot can be bought for $400, and the difference in what you are able to find using more able featured detectors can be shocking regarding depth and in extremely difficult and challenging sites of all kinds.

For example I was very good with my F2, paid for the thing 10 times over in 3 years use because I learned it so well and at such a deep level.
Limited amount of features to play with but I went beyond that to try to understand it's behavior way beyond the surface and there was more to learn and understand with some keen observation...much more.
As much as I learned, understood and found it was all a drop in the bucket compared to what I was able to do with the F70, not even in the same ballpark, city or state.
Not only in depth with so much more extra power but in insanely difficult sites and conditions because I had those extra whistles and bells to play with.
As much as I loved the F2, and there is no bigger fan out there of this great detector than me, it just couldn't do what this F70 can do, it is just technologically and logically impossible...and I have close to if not over 1000 hours of experience with both in fantastically great soil and also some of the worst imaginable.

The Patriot is an F70 clone and the F70 is one step down from flagship levels.
Even Dave Johnson has stated that the marketing arm at FTP never wanted anyone to know how capable and great this one really was...ever.
It is rare when a product of this caliber with so many helpful features that can make such a big difference in your success is offered at the kind of price point where the Patriot comes in...I still find it hard to believe they actually did this.

Again, just my opinion, but since I went from the F2 to the F70 in my experience there is no comparison.
Both are great in their respective places in the Fisher lineup, as I assume is the new F22, but a Chevette was never going to be a Cadillac no matter how much you might wish it was.

Well since I can't post a WTB thread in the classifieds guess I will just buy new.
FWIW I think 200 posts is a bit high lol.

new to detecting

If its just post count that the forum looks at just rack up a bunch of:

nice finds, wow!, wish I could afford that unit, etc.

You'll get there before you know it.

Paul B
untra newbie

P.S. I can't get sponsors to give me notice!! Not complaining, could be I need a post count too!

Well I have decided to get a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, hope I like it lol

A few knowledgeable hunters that have used many say this can be shocking in how capable it is and performs.
It ain't your father's old style Bounty Hunter and has some similar DNA from its Fisher and Teknetics cousins.
You should enjoy it...if you commit to learning it well.

Congrats on the LRP. Choosing a machine truly is the hard part. Now the fUn begins. I have a Bounty Hunter built machine. It's pretty old now but still a good unit. Videos I've watched of the LRP show it to be a great choice at its price point. You won't regret it.

Good luck and HH.

Henry.

The LRP deal fell through so I found a very lightly used , 3 times, Fisher F75 and Garret pin pointer for 400!

Back
Top Bottom