Headphones

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I have never used any headphones specifically made for metal detecting. I have a pair of radio shack with the wire just going in one side. They have about had it. Is there a reason to buy headphones made for detecting. What's makes them better than the normal over the counter headphones?

Not even headphones made for detectors are all created equal.

Some are better than others,,,tone clarity, etc
Some actually match up better to some model detectors due to impedance of speakers.

You will see a lot of folks use different ones,,they have their favorites.

Call a sponsor here and ask them some questions,,I am sure they will guide you if you are interested in a pair.

It goes without saying,,a good pair of headphones can make a good detector better.

A bad set of headphones can make a good detector worse.

A good set of headphones can make a worse detector a little better.
A bad pair of headphones can make a worse detector even worse.

There are also instances where certain metal detectors are not compatible with all headphones made.

If you call a sponsor,,they will be asking what detector you plan on using them on.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks somewhat makes sense. I should have mentioned what detector I have. Okay who knows a good pair to use with a Whites XLT? Surely with that old a detector it would be common knowledge what works well with it.

I agree with tnsharpshooter.

Also, I have used quality audio headphones successfully. Only quit on them because the cord was too long. Its all about YOUR hearing and the audio range/quality of the headphones.

i going to agree with most of what Sharp said and impedance being the first factor to look into....and Ohms. this will determine the sensitivity and volume of your headphones...and the power needed to drive them.

sound is my business and ive been a soundman for 40years

after that.... they need to be comfy... you are going to be wearing them for hours...are they too lose and constantly adjusting them on your head... too tight, maybe digging your sunglasses into the side of your head...lol i hate that one

isolation is another factor... how well they will block out wind and external noise so you are hearing your signals clearly...(who cares about that approaching train or boat.. i want to hear GOLD)

how easy you can clean them... they will be in dirt or sand (like mine) and that goes into durability realm as well...

waterproof?? mine are...so cleaning them out is easy... but most are not and even sweating in them over time... destroys them.. i use $350 headphones at work... and destroy a pair every year... sometimes more... just nature of the job and price i pay because i love them and i can wear them 12hrs a day. but they would suck for metal detecting and im lucky my whites headphones do the job for me and are waterproof. but if they killed my head... i would cut that cable in a minute and put something else on.

which brings me to my last factor.... price!! in the case of what we do... high price does not mean better. 99% of the headphones out there will go from 20-20k and bet most of you cant even hear that well :) so dont buy something based on price... if a $20 pair of headphones does what is needed for you... thats great !!

my whites headphone are waterproof and dont sound all that great and cost like 150. but they do the job for detecting and are comfy enough for me... so ive stayed with them and never had a problem...i need to go knock on a piece of wood now...

good digs

Last edited:
I have tried a number of headphones over the years. Some work and some don't. Most don't have enough volume to let you know when you make a find. others don't fit very well and make your hunts not very enjoyable. Perhaps my ears are too large. I am currently using a pair that I have been using for over ten years. I had Ski Whiz make me a custom pair that really worked great but someone broke into my car and stole them. I was just lucky that for some reason I decided not to leave my detector in with them. Headphones are like seat belts and motorcycle helmets. I don't feel right without them. They not only improve the sound for weak targets, they make your batteries last longer. They are a must for my CZ-6 since it doesn't have a speaker. For now am going to save my money and have Ski Whiz make me another set. He is probably the forum's expert on headphones.

I agree with tnsharpshooter.

Also, I have used quality audio headphones successfully. Only quit on them because the cord was too long. Its all about YOUR hearing and the audio range/quality of the headphones.

I would rather have a cord too long than one too short.

Longbow, Some of the higher quality headphones made specifically for metal detecting have a volume limiter. So If you run across a steel tire rim, for example, your ears wont be blown out. Let's you run at a higher volume safely.

I have never used any headphones specifically made for metal detecting. I have a pair of radio shack with the wire just going in one side. They have about had it. Is there a reason to buy headphones made for detecting. What's makes them better than the normal over the counter headphones?

Hunting without headphones is -20% on top of finds. Headphones is vital when hunting for low conductors or really deep stuff whatever conductivity they are

I ended up with Koss QZ99's for the moment. Had to make a quick purchase as my others had a bad short. I really can't say I am crazy about the QZ99's, but they do have a coiled cable that connects to only one ear cup and a volume control on the side. Plus they really block outside noise. Cons are they not very comfortable, way to heavy, and very hot. Will do for now.

I ended up with Koss QZ99's for the moment. Had to make a quick purchase as my others had a bad short. I really can't say I am crazy about the QZ99's, but they do have a coiled cable that connects to only one ear cup and a volume control on the side. Plus they really block outside noise. Cons are they not very comfortable, way to heavy, and very hot. Will do for now.

Cord on one earcup shouldn't be a problem... Put it on the side that's swinging.

If you're in the market for some quality headphones made for detecting, look into "Killer b's". They have leather headband and ear muffs, and 150 Ohm impedance. They're super sensitive to tiny signals, and comfortable. They also have an excellent warranty. I've used mine for over a year now and wouldn't be without 'em. I did have to send mine in for cord repair (use 'em 20 hours a week), and got 'em back within a week's time.

Back
Top Bottom