Favorite, most memorable find

Earlier this year on a door knock with JD I dug an 1807 Draped Bust Half Cent. I thought it was a Two Cent Piece, but my eyes are not what they once were so I tossed it to JD and he gave me the news. I thought he was joking and didn't believe him until we cleaned it up a little and I saw it clearly.

Pulled a first year Shield Nickel a few minutes earlier on that same hunt. I was in shock. Oldest US coin Ive dug by 59 years over that Shield Nickel from 5 yards away.

picture.php

picture.php

Earlier this year on a door knock with JD I dug an 1807 Draped Bust Half Cent. I thought it was a Two Cent Piece, but my eyes are not what they once were so I tossed it to JD and he gave me the news. I thought he was joking and didn't believe him until we cleaned it up a little and I saw it clearly.

Pulled a first year Shield Nickel a few minutes earlier on that same hunt. I was in shock. Oldest US coin Ive dug by 59 years over that Shield Nickel from 5 yards away.

picture.php

picture.php

Nice job on the half cent!
I am not too sure I will ever find one in Wisconsin though:no:

Probably all of these:

Attachments

• 20160822_222805.jpg
    20160822_222805.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 557
  • 20170402_205324_HDR.jpg
    20170402_205324_HDR.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 559
  • 20170408_144248_HDR small.jpg
    20170408_144248_HDR small.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 562
My most memorable find has to be my 1893cc eagle. I was at a low point in my life and really needed money. I was detecting at 1:30 in the morning at a golf course in Salt Lake City. It used to be an amusement park in the late 1880's - 1926. I am swinging away and I get a zinc penny signal at 5". I knew there were absolutely no zinc pennies in that place so I dug. I see a coin and pick it up. I can see the eagle on the back from the moonlight. I knew I had a gold coin at that time. I turned off my detector, replaced the plug and held it in my hand all the way home.

It really was an answer to a prayer. It is gone for good now but the memory will never leave.

1964 I was a brand new Boy Scout wearing my new uniform to a troop meeting. Halfway through I realized I had lost my kerchief slide. Frantic I looked for it because my parents had sacrificed to buy that uniform. Caught a lot of grief and for months I looked for it. Knew where it should be but never found it.

50 years later I was driving by the meeting spot and I pulled it. Took my detector to the spot where I thought it should be. Four swings and I got a signal. Four inches deep in black muck was my long lost kerchief slide.

Found a lot of great finds over the years. Jewelry, coins and relics dating back to the 1700s. But that cheap little item is one of my most memorable finds.

Civil War Breast Plate. Found at a school site that opened in 1862. Not in the best of shape but a special find to me.

Attachments

• Buckle.jpg
    Buckle.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 546
Nice stories guys. A lot of us have nice finds on occasion but the special stories make our finds so much better.

It'll either have to be this 1896 english silver sixpence I found about half a year ago at an old homestead (which was coincidentally built in 1896) in the goldfields of Western Australia, or this 18k white gold ring (5.5g) with a princess-cut diamond in the centre and 24 stones on the sides which I found at a local beach.

Attachments

• 18kwhitegoldprincesscutdiamond24stones5.5g.jpg
    18kwhitegoldprincesscutdiamond24stones5.5g.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 513
  • 1896sixpence.jpg
    1896sixpence.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 517
  • silversixpence.jpg
    silversixpence.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 520
It'll either have to be this 1896 english silver sixpence I found about half a year ago at an old homestead (which was coincidentally built in 1896) in the goldfields of Western Australia, or this 18k white gold ring (5.5g) with a princess-cut diamond in the centre and 24 stones on the sides which I found at a local beach.

Hey, your ring looks almost like mine. Mine only had 16 stones on the sides though.

My most memorable "find" was actually a recovery of 18 lost 1 oz. gold coins for a family friend. She lived in an outbuilding (a converted old barn) that burned down...it was next to the main house of another of our friends. Thankfully she was not home at the time, and the main house was fine. For almost 2 years she was embarrassed to tell anyone that somewhere in that burned out barn was her most valuable possession...a collection of coins given to her by her aunt that included 18 one once coins (US Double Eagles, Maple Leafs, etc.) as well as some silver dollars and quarters. Finally she confided in us and we initiated an all out search to help her find them. Well, the story has a happy ending! Here are a couple of pics and a link to my YouTube post chronicling the search.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSJRVGk6MBw

It was a heck of a day. I still get goose bumps thinking about it!

Attachments

• coins 8.jpg
    coins 8.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 503
  • coins 11.jpg
    coins 11.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 503
My most memorable, still to this date, is an 1861 S Seated Liberty dime I found my first week of detecting. I was hooked from that moment on.

Attachments

• IMG_20160505_095125.jpg
    IMG_20160505_095125.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20160505_095151.jpg
    IMG_20160505_095151.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 480
Silver Dollars 3 ea

I just found my third silver dollar 4 days ago. a 1923 s. Two months ago I found a 1922p, and last year a found a 1997 silver dollar. Maybe the first one was my most favorite. I found them in front yards of houses built in 1926, 1949, and 1956.

Some 40 odd years ago I was a 12 year old kid who dreamed of owning a metal detector. (which my wife finally bought for me in 2015 - long wait) My uncle had a detector and came to our house with it. I knew my father would not approve of me pestering him with asking to try it, so I simply focused on being 'ever present'. I watched as he pulled a gold and two silver rings from our front yard, dozens of coins including several silver also came up. Finally he had searched the yard and was getting ready to put it away so I popped the question, "Can I try?"

He thought it over and said, "No, you might break it".

At that point my father did something I never expected, he said "You got to search our whole yard, let him try and you make sure he's careful."

He handed me the thing which must have weighed 15 lbs. and had a control box that was the size of a toaster oven with enough knobs to be overwhelming. Well, I dug 3 or 4 of the old-style pull tabs and he laughed and said he had found all the good stuff and that I ought to go down to the barn and dig up rusty nails for a while. - Which is exactly what I headed out to do, now more or less unsupervised with my uncle following at a distance. Under an ancient oak tree by the barn I found an area that lit up 2 ft. in diameter. I dug up an aluminum pot lid, which my uncle promptly confiscated showing up seconds later. Minutes after, I dug a silver quarter, which was also his because 'the detector was his'. This was followed by perhaps 20 nails in various stages of decay.

My uncle finally got bored watching me dig nails and went up to the house to get some iced tea. I searched on, never tiring of pulling out one nail after another. Finally I got a bigger signal that turned out to be over a foot deep. It was a large solid silver serving spoon stamped US Cav. I was pretty jazzed! The spoon fit in my inside coat pocket but nearly protruded through my collar! My uncle showed up a few minutes later, confiscated the coin I had just dug and asked if I'd found anything else? "Yes, I said proudly. I have tons of nails and stuff." (not quite a lie - stuff...) "Do you want any of those?"

"No, you can keep those. But, I'm gonna put the detector away now - it's not a toy".

I still have that spoon! It's in my collection with all the many great things I've found in the last year and half since getting my own detector. But it is special in ways that are hard to describe.

I just found my third silver dollar 4 days ago. a 1923 s. Two months ago I found a 1922p, and last year a found a 1997 silver dollar. Maybe the first one was my most favorite. I found them in front yards of houses built in 1926, 1949, and 1956.

Wow Harry, I need to start doing some yards in hopes of finding my first silver dollar.

Back
Top Bottom