Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   The Metal Detecting Show
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Everything About Finds > What's the Value? > CRHing

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:18 PM
Princess's Avatar
Princess Princess is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,920
Smile My Personal Best Penny Roll Hunt! ***Update: Back-to-Back Exciting Coin Roll Hunts***

*** See post #15 for update ***

On his weekly trip to the credit union for coins, Wolfie - as usual - picked up a few penny rolls for me, knowing I'm always thrilled to find a wheatie or two. My last several CRHs have been mostly skunks, but this one definitely made up for those.

My search through 10 rolls included four wheat cents (the most I've found in a single hunt!): 1953-D, 1955-D, 1956-D, and best of all, a beautifully pristine 1940-S! Since this coin hardly seems to have spent much time in circulation, I wonder if it was spent during National Coin Week. (That it's a San Francisco mint is an added bonus, as most of the wheats we come across are Denver or Philadelphia.) I was also happy to find several Lincoln Memorials that I needed for my coin folders (my favorite is a minty 1968-S), as well as a counterstamped 1973 penny with a male profile etched on the obverse.

For me, wheat cents are always fun to find, and the '40-S was a special treat... one I'm pretty excited about! Happy hunting to all of you, and God bless!
Attached Images
   

__________________

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2020 totals: $2.24
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer

Last edited by Princess; 05-21-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:49 PM
jkbemdavis's Avatar
jkbemdavis jkbemdavis is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western new York
Posts: 700
Default

Very nice finds Princess! Keep up the good work, and thatís a very nice 1940s!

__________________
Peace All! Garrett Ace 250, and AT Pro. Oldest Coin : 1826 Large Cent...found on first hunt in my yard

Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-17-2019, 09:29 AM
SoOregonMd's Avatar
SoOregonMd SoOregonMd is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sam's Valley Southern Oregon
Posts: 2,374
Default

WOW !!!

Great CRH Princess Love the condition of the 40 !

__________________
The Most Exciting Part of the Hunt is when Prey and Predator make Eye Contact.
2018 Totals Gold (7), Silver Coins (17) Wheats (39) Rings (38)
2019 Totals Gold (1), Silver Coins (15) Wheats (94) Rings (26) Oldest Coin 1893 IHP, 1901 IHP

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:15 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dirt Cellar, MA
Posts: 15,649
Default

That 40 S wheat is REALLY nice, great CRH princess!

__________________
☆ 2021 LET'S GO BRUINS!
☆W-12~IH-3~Coppas-0~Tokens-0☆
☆Silva-1~Ster-4~Gold-0
☆Oldest Coin FTY:1860 IHP☆

Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:32 PM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 5,058
Default

Nice red Ď40S! That one hasnít been in circulation long -

__________________
DFX - Explorer II - Etrac
Retired AT&T

Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:37 PM
GroundSweeper's Avatar
GroundSweeper GroundSweeper is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Placer Co., CA
Posts: 18,027
Default

Thatís some nice results there

__________________
EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2021 (Total (4/13 to date)) - Clad: $12.82 ($1093.26), Silver coins: 7 (49), Wheats: 11 (154), Gold: 0 (27), Plat: 0 (1), .925 2 (90), Rings: 2 (237), Oldest Coins: 1920 wheat, 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 05-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Ron 71's Avatar
Ron 71 Ron 71 is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Middlesex co. Massachusetts
Posts: 5,109
Default

Wow that 1940 looks like it was minted yesterday, Nice saves!
The male counter stamp looks like JFK
Congrats on a great CRH!

__________________
Equinox 800, AT-Pro, MX-Sport, Sand Shark, Pro-Pointer AT
2021 (Total)...Clad-$0 ($1,112.47)...Silver-0 (46)...Gold-0 (7)...Sterling-0 (63)...Wheats-0 (191)...Oldest- 1781 Half Reale,1781 2 Reale,

Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 05-17-2019, 04:43 PM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,007
Default

Princess! His Majesty is duly impressed with your CRH finds this week! That minty 1940S Lincoln is a great coin! And KT bets it has some decent collector value too!

Congrats on all your wheatie finds! When KT was just a young tot, with the assistance of his Father, He used to hunt $100 bags of pennies that came from the Meter Department of the local community. Ha Ha. These were mostly wheaties in the late 1950s, but an occasional Indian Head would show up! Now its mostly Memorials with an occasional wheatie!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:23 PM
Princess's Avatar
Princess Princess is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,920
Smile

Originally Posted by jkbemdavis View post
Very nice finds Princess! Keep up the good work, and thatís a very nice 1940s!
Thank you! I always appreciate your replies.

Originally Posted by SoOregonMd View post
WOW !!!

Great CRH Princess Love the condition of the 40 !
I do, too! Thank you very much, SoOregonMd.
While it's not a metal detecting find, Penny posed in this picture for you... I think it's a bit heavy for her.
Name:  Penny Holding 1940-S CRH Wheatie.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  20.4 KB


Originally Posted by cellrdwellr View post
That 40 S wheat is REALLY nice, great CRH princess!
Thanks, Jeff! I'm pretty happy about it.

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Nice red Ď40S! That one hasnít been in circulation long -
I was shocked when I first spotted that wheat back in the roll, and could hardly wait to flip it over and see if the other side was as nice. Thanks for your reply!

Originally Posted by GroundSweeper View post
Thatís some nice results there
Thanks, Jeff #2! I especially enjoyed this hunt.

Originally Posted by Ron 71 View post
Wow that 1940 looks like it was minted yesterday, Nice saves!
The male counter stamp looks like JFK
Congrats on a great CRH!
I think you're right about the counterstamp. I guess someone decided they feel Kennedy should be on the penny rather than on the half dollar? My brother found one similar to it before.

Originally Posted by KingTotsalot View post
Princess! His Majesty is duly impressed with your CRH finds this week! That minty 1940S Lincoln is a great coin! And KT bets it has some decent collector value too!

Congrats on all your wheatie finds! When KT was just a young tot, with the assistance of his Father, He used to hunt $100 bags of pennies that came from the Meter Department of the local community. Ha Ha. These were mostly wheaties in the late 1950s, but an occasional Indian Head would show up! Now its mostly Memorials with an occasional wheatie!
With royal gratitude, thy kindly expressed approval
hath brought a brightened countenance upon me!
Moreover, I do appreciate the thoughts thou didst share.

__________________

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2020 totals: $2.24
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer

Last edited by Princess; 05-22-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 05-18-2019, 07:02 PM
Wolf-Dog's Avatar
Wolf-Dog Wolf-Dog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,681
Smile

Congrats on the wheaties and other cool finds! That '40-S is really beautiful!

__________________

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2020: 102 Clad ($5.74) ~ 2 Wheats
Totals: 709 Clad Coins ($46.14) ~ Wheats: 3 ~ Silver Coins: 0

2 Tokens ~ 5 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 05-18-2019, 09:39 PM
Stiffwrists Stiffwrists is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Utah
Posts: 3,328
Default

Nice condition wheatie there! It may have been put into circulation as part of that National Coin Week you mentioned. Good luck on your next hunt!

__________________
Equinox 800, AT MAX, ACE 350, Garrett Carrot, Lesche Excalibur Shovels
Totals Since June 2017:
Silver Coins: 319, Ag Rings/etc: 107
IH: 29, Buff/V/Shield: 49, Gold: 9

Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 05-19-2019, 11:25 PM
Princess's Avatar
Princess Princess is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,920
Smile

Originally Posted by Wolf-Dog View post
Congrats on the wheaties and other cool finds! That '40-S is really beautiful!
I'm glad you were there to join in the excitement. CRHing is always more fun when we do it together!

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Nice condition wheatie there! It may have been put into circulation as part of that National Coin Week you mentioned. Good luck on your next hunt!
Thank you! Yep, that's what we're thinking, and it's neat to think perhaps I found a coin that was spent in the hopes of inspiring a new generation of collectors... like me!

__________________

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2020 totals: $2.24
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:21 AM
Usa's Avatar
Usa Usa is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Missouri
Posts: 902
Default

Wow, That looks like a great roll. And I'm glad to see the little pig back.

__________________

I believe with all my heart that standing for America means standing up for God who has so blessed this land- Ronald Reagan.

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 05-21-2019, 10:05 PM
Princess's Avatar
Princess Princess is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,920
Smile

Originally Posted by Usa View post
Wow, That looks like a great roll. And I'm glad to see the little pig back.
It definitely was! Yep, Penny - named after our hobby of detecting for coins - wanted to get it on the fun, too. Thanks, Levi!

__________________

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2020 totals: $2.24
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 05-21-2019, 11:01 PM
Princess's Avatar
Princess Princess is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1,920
Smile ***Update***

Back-to-back Exciting Coin Roll Hunts!

Today, I searched through 10 more rolls... and came across another minty wheat cent, this time a 1937. Along with that, once again I found 3 other wheats. I commented to my brother Wolfie that God just gave me a duplicate of my best coin roll hunt!


The obverse/reverse of the 1937:
Name:  May CRH 1937 Wheatie (Combined - Resized).jpg
Views: 490
Size:  47.6 KB


Comparison photos of the 1940-S & 1937:
Name:  May CRH 1940-S & 1937 Wheaties (Obverses - Resized).jpg
Views: 496
Size:  78.2 KB
Name:  May CRH 1940-S & 1937 Wheaties (Reverses - Resized).jpg
Views: 489
Size:  86.6 KB

__________________

Romans 10:9 & 10
Oldest coin: 1946 Wheat Penny ~ 2020 totals: $2.24
Ace 250 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ Bounty Hunter Junior
GP-Pointer ~ Cen-Tech Pinpointer
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #16  
Old 05-22-2019, 11:53 PM
Lost&Recovered Lost&Recovered is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 39
Smile

Congratulations on your finds!

__________________

"For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost."
~ Luke 19:10
Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 05-23-2019, 10:59 AM
KingTotsalot's Avatar
KingTotsalot KingTotsalot is offline
Official Tot Lot King
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mabelvale, south of Little Rock, Arkansas
Posts: 9,007
Default

Two beauties found by another beauty! Royal Congrats!

__________________
BH Tracker IV, Tesoro Compadre, ATPro, Honda Ruckus 49cc (Royal Steed), Tacoma (Royal Chariot). New hobby camo painting long guns!

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 05-27-2019, 12:39 PM
Wolf-Dog's Avatar
Wolf-Dog Wolf-Dog is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,681
Smile

Originally Posted by Princess View post
Back-to-back Exciting Coin Roll Hunts!

Today, I searched through 10 more rolls... and came across another minty wheat cent, this time a 1937. Along with that, once again I found 3 other wheats. I commented to my brother Wolfie that God just gave me a duplicate of my best coin roll hunt!

The obverse/reverse of the 1937:
Attachment 442866

Comparison photos of the 1940-S & 1937:
Attachment 442867
Attachment 442868
Thanks for the update and congrats on another cool wheatie!

__________________

Matthew 6:19-21 ~ 2020: 102 Clad ($5.74) ~ 2 Wheats
Totals: 709 Clad Coins ($46.14) ~ Wheats: 3 ~ Silver Coins: 0

2 Tokens ~ 5 Foreign ~ Oldest Coin: 1945 Wheatie
Garrett Treasure Ace 300 ~ Harbor Freight 9 Function ~ BH Jr ~ GP-Pointer
Reply With Quote


  #19  
Old 12-09-2020, 12:33 PM
SmirkAtTheMerc's Avatar
SmirkAtTheMerc SmirkAtTheMerc is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Virginia
Posts: 377
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Princess View post
*** See post #15 for update ***

On his weekly trip to the credit union for coins, Wolfie - as usual - picked up a few penny rolls for me, knowing I'm always thrilled to find a wheatie or two. My last several CRHs have been mostly skunks, but this one definitely made up for those.

My search through 10 rolls included four wheat cents (the most I've found in a single hunt!): 1953-D, 1955-D, 1956-D, and best of all, a beautifully pristine 1940-S! Since this coin hardly seems to have spent much time in circulation, I wonder if it was spent during National Coin Week. (That it's a San Francisco mint is an added bonus, as most of the wheats we come across are Denver or Philadelphia.) I was also happy to find several Lincoln Memorials that I needed for my coin folders (my favorite is a minty 1968-S), as well as a counterstamped 1973 penny with a male profile etched on the obverse.

For me, wheat cents are always fun to find, and the '40-S was a special treat... one I'm pretty excited about! Happy hunting to all of you, and God bless!
Those pennies are beautiful!

__________________
Teknetics T2 SE, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche shovel.

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 12-09-2020, 02:11 PM
Coinboy's Avatar
Coinboy Coinboy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Iowa
Posts: 397
Default

Big congrats Princess, great coins!

__________________
Equipment: Minelab Etrac, Equinox 800, PredatorTools, Nokta pulsedive
Middle school Detectorist in Iowa!
Oldest coin: 1731 2 reale

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.