• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Be careful please

This isn't Joe is it?

It is. One of my detecting friends died in Michigan in lake Huron. Another died in Pontiac lake.

Water hunting is NO easy task nor is it a place to become complacent. Joe is a pro. So are others and ANYONE can get into trouble out there. Luckily others heard his cry for help.

Prayers indeed. accidents happen all the time, unintended, not on purpose, thats why its called an accident. it is unintended and he had the correct gear and experience, so he lived. Good enough!

his posts are a staple of this forum and others. i pray he recovers completely and gets back into doing what he loves and excels at. he is an inspiration to others.

i agree with scuba detector. dont care how careful you are, it can happen.

if you knew when it was going to happen you would avoid it. the best plan is to be ready when it does, dont panic, and use knowledge and skill to overcome.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery and return to the hobby.

Waders are very dangerous. Joe wears a dry suit that prevents water from entering in and holding you down and keeps you much warmer. He floated after falling into a hole and was submerged.

We are all wishing the best for Joe.

I dont know what happened but if you fall and your body gets horizontal in the water the air in your suit up around your chest and arms can race to your feet making your feet float and it is very hard to recover from on the surface.
It has happened to me diving with a drysuit.

We are all wishing the best for Joe.

I dont know what happened but if you fall and your body gets horizontal in the water the air in your suit up around your chest and arms can race to your feet making your feet float and it is very hard to recover from on the surface.
It has happened to me diving with a drysuit.

I don't know all of the details but what you describe appears to what happened when you see the photos of him floating. It looks like his feet are facing up and he is on his back. I guess we all can learn from his experience. And there is good news, I read he is heading home this weekend.

This

Was already posted & updated on the General Hobby forum .Yes this was OBN , should be home out of the hospital this weekend , pray 4 Joe. Talked to JOE Thursday he sounded rough , hopefully he makes a full 100% recovery , hypothermia can have after effects like tissue damage & organ failure starting when the body reaches 37 degrees , some make a full recovery , the water temperature was around 40 degrees , OBN fell in a hole, went under about 5 seconds , was floating belly up with the currents about 110-150 yards off shore , he was lucky as a neighbor and a ranger herd his cry for help, rescued by boat , but said when they pulled him up , they injured his rotator cuff, when they got him in , he was chopper lifted to a hospital i won't disclose , even though Joe sounded a bit rough Thursday the day after the accident , he was is good spirits , lets pray 4 Joe tonight to make a 100% recovery , here is a pick of Joe getting recued port side belly up , this could happen to anyone in neck deep water , i don't recommend anyone doing this under 50 degree's, Scuba might be able to add more on hypothermia , as i googled this , and am not an expert , Joe did say he saw something in that hypothermia state, and said he might take a year off hunting , Get Well OBN !

Attachments

• P1010252.jpg
    P1010252.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 567
Last edited:
There is an inherent risk to reward ratio in all successful people who want to be on top of the game. Joe is 1 of them. It's gotta be hard knowing there IS gold out where he hunts. It doesn't move around much compared to wide open oceans. In my 20s , I did some cold water training. 50-55 degree temps in shorts alone. I could only last in the 8-13 minute range before my body would start to lock up. But I always had people around me , and still it was scary. I posted awile back about "What is a hardcore beachhunter ". Well....this is who defines that. But as Scuba said , "No gold is worth risking your life." I listen to guys , watch videos of guys who hunt in these "Goldfish bowls". Not that I wouldn't try it. Guess their used to it , just doesn't seem "fun" to me anymore in that cold water... I pray he has no organ or muscle damage from this , especially as we creep up in age. I think his style and locations of hunts will change. But as a "Hardcore hunter" , will never give it up....

Another link

Said the time of call was 12:45pm , time pulled from the water was 1:07 pm That's 22 minutes at 40 degrees , a long time , Pray 4 Joe . Usually Joe hunted with a dry suit on , most likely in this case , however going under , there must have been a water breach , he said he became buoyant , most likely helped keep him from drowning , however cold water intrusion must have happened for hypothermia .

Update

Saturday 1225 pm called to check up on Joe at the hospital , OBN has been discharged , i called his cell, no answer , most likely his phone is with his vehicle , i don't have his land line , unless Craig does , so this is great news , our prayer's answered OBN made it :kingdances::clapping::thumbsup:

Back
Top Bottom