Barber+Merc+1909S

longbow62

Forum Supporter
After three years of hunting I finally got a Barber dime, Yay! I found it and the Merc today in a empty lot where a medium size wood frame house had stood. It had a tiny front yard that I had been over every inch of a bunch of times with a Nokta Impact in wet and dry conditions. I was not the only person to have hit this spot because I noticed quite a few plugs had been cut the first time I hunted it. I remembered I had not been back since I got the Equinox 800 late last year. So told my buddy Jeff we needed to try it again. I had found only one Merc there, but several old wheats.

I got a slightly jumpy signal 24-27 pretty deep 6" plus. I cut plug and took one more scoop out of the bottom. I found a 1940's wheat in the plug and to my surprise when I stood up and swung over the pile I got 26-27. I pinpointed it in the spoil broke the clod open and saw it was silver dime. I figured Merc, but was wrong. I wiped it to see my first Barber dime. I had not moved but a few feet away and got another high tone. This time it was reading more solid numbers, but fainter and reading deeper. It was a Merc the full length of the digger deep. So that brings my silver total for the year to 27. That was my total from last year so maybe I can get a few more if I work at it before the new year.

About a week ago Jeff and I hit a really old lot with lots of potential. Just a few minutes into the hunt I got a 18-20 on my Equinox next to the sidewalk going to where the house used to sit. I was thinking IHP maybe, but it turned out to be a Wheat. It was very green and I knew most early Wheats ring up almost like a IHP. I could not be sure of the date when I dug it with my bad eyes so I just put in my pouch. Later that evening after clean up I saw it was a 1909, but did not catch the S mint mark. I sent a photo to Jeff and he text back I had a 1909S a very rare penny. It was my second 1909, but my first S.

Attachments

• 20191206_155908.jpg
    20191206_155908.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 420
  • 1909s.jpg
    1909s.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 390
  • 20191206_164451.jpg
    20191206_164451.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 374
Good play-by-play. And the key-date S mint coin was right where it belonged : In AZ, on this side of the Mississippi , in SF territory :laughing: I love the green patina on that coin .

Nice! Your first Barber, a merc, & a key date wheat cent... three great finds! :thumbsup:

Thanks Tom, but just barely on the west side. Ha-Ha that would be Arkansas not Arizona. The weird thing is I have found two seated dimes and a Barber quarter before finding the Barber dime, It was getting very frustrating especially when hunting buddies were finding them and I could not.

.... . Ha-Ha that would be Arkansas not Arizona.....

Doh ! I saw the AK and thought I was reading "AR".

But ... no worries, ... you're still this side of the Mississippi. Where all the key-date S mints are required to stay. :laughing:

Congrats on the silver and a key date wheatie. Not in too bad a shape for a 110 year old copper. Its rare we find any S mint mark coins here. I think I dug a war nickel with one though. HH Mark

Congrats on the Barber. Those are not easy to find.

I searched for years for one and finally a neighbor told me about the grocery store his father had in the early 1900s. The store was gone but he got permission for me to search the lot which was loaded with nails. I found a nice Merc and a few Indian heads and was thrilled.

Then I got a sweet high signal and pulled out an 1890 Barber dime followed by a 1901 and then a second Merc. Great hunt.

After three years of hunting I finally got a Barber dime, Yay! I found it and the Merc today in a empty lot where a medium size wood frame house had stood..................

Nice recoveries and good job on not giving up on a spot that wasn't finished giving up some goodies.

Back
Top Bottom