• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

STUNNER! Key Date Barber Dime, IHP Great Day

Buellride

Forum Supporter
Honestly folks, I have been working and traveling WAAAYY too much to get out hunting as of late. In November alone I only hunted 2 times. Well today, after getting some work done, I decided to "reward" myself with a morning time hunt before the rains come the later half of the week...SUPER glad I did.

I putzed around old hunting grounds (curbstrips) for the first 30 minutes or so, not finding much except clad but decided to start targeting 12-44 signals on my CTX (typically a clad penny), well the Barber was showing those set of numbers but it was deep enough to consider pulling it as an old Wheatie or better.

When the flash of silver hit me I realized I got a dime, turned it in my hand and noticed it was a barber...into my pouch and I continued on.

Ended up searching some more curbstrips, found the toasted 1906 Indian Head penny (hard to find around here) and 2 Wheaties. Ended the day with $4.50 in clad, the Barber, IHP and 2 Wheaties (both 1945 models).

I didn't realize what I had until I texted my hunting buddies RainorShine and Cruiserkev and Gale responded with a "ridiculous" statement that the Barber was worth somewhere in the hundreds of dollars...low mintage, etc.

Thankfully I hadn't rubbed it or brushed the dirt and gleefully drove home to clean all of my other loot.

A quick soak in soapy water and a very light dabbing with a Q-Tip and you can tell she is in TERRIFIC shape! What a joy to find that stunner!:cool3::shock::cool3:

It overshadows the toasted IHP which normally I would be ecstatic to find regardless (those are pretty rare around here to find).

What a great start to my December month of hunting!!! Sadly I travel again later in the month which will keep me "out of the dirt" for a period of time again. :no:

HH and GL All!!!

Attachments

• 12_3 Barber Front Dirty.jpg
    12_3 Barber Front Dirty.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 315
  • 12_3 Barber Rear Dirty.jpg
    12_3 Barber Rear Dirty.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 313
  • 12_3 1906 IHP Front.jpg
    12_3 1906 IHP Front.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 331
  • 12_3 1906 IHP Rear.jpg
    12_3 1906 IHP Rear.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 310
  • 12_3 Barber Front Soaked Clean.jpg
    12_3 Barber Front Soaked Clean.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 302
  • 12_3 Barber Rear Soaked Clean.jpg
    12_3 Barber Rear Soaked Clean.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 292
Excellent report ! And : The key -date S mint coin was RIGHT where it should be: West of the Mississippi in SF territory :) :laughing:

The Barber is a beauty Paul. Glad I got to break the good news regarding the coin's possible value while you were still in transit. Hopefully made the rest of the trip home a bit more enjoyable.

Fine hunting young fella, my 2 favorite digs Silver and Ihps. Congrats on the key date Barber and nice save on the Ihps. Those curbstrips have been good you. Hope you get some more hunt time in. Good luck Mark

Congrats on the Indian and the super nice Barber ! Great photos !

Thank you! The photos are courtesy of a Samsung S8+...sometimes it takes good photos....:laughing:

Fine hunting young fella, my 2 favorite digs Silver and Ihps. Congrats on the key date Barber and nice save on the Ihps. Those curbstrips have been good you. Hope you get some more hunt time in. Good luck Mark

Jeez, "young fella"....thanks for the compliment, my wife tells me I act like an old guy all the time....:lol:

Curbstrips and persistence is the name of the game around here....I hope to get out at least 2 or 3 more times before the end of the month.

Congrats on the key date Barber!! Really fantastic shape, too! That’s a great recovery from out of a curb strip! And a crusty IHP is still an IHP - just with more character :cool: Good hunting!

Back
Top Bottom